Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

The SAB kraken has landed

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.
Brand Affiliation: None

The SAB kraken has landed

Postby Foil » Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 am

Any one in the uk got theirs yet? seen one on face book yesterday.

is it too early to ask if the F703K fuse is suitable for fitting my 633 wing to once I ream out the 3 M6 holes on the 633 to M8 to fit the M8 holes on the 703K :?: :?:

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Re: The SAB kraken has landed

Postby dave1986 » Wed Apr 27, 2022 7:53 am

Foil wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 6:16 am
is it too early to ask if the F703K fuse is suitable for fitting my 633 wing to once I ream out the 3 M6 holes on the 633 to M8 to fit the M8 holes on the 703K :?: :?:
I've drilled out my 1100 wing from M6 to M8 to work on the 700-HS fuselage. SABfoil verified that this would not void the warranty. I'm fairly sure the assume same will also work on the 703K fuselage, but worth double checking with SABfoil to be 100% sure.

handy
Medium Poster
Gear: wave
Brand Affiliation: ahcustoms.ch
Has thanked: 0

Postby handy » Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:51 am

I already got my Kraken and everything that works on the 700HS will also work on the 703K

omg
Very Frequent Poster

Postby omg » Wed Apr 27, 2022 10:16 am

handy wrote: I already got my Kraken and everything that works on the 700HS will also work on the 703K
Can you tell us what mast did you have before and how the new mast compares to the old one, please? Is there a noticeable change in stiffness and how about the speed?

Thanks!

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:15 pm

I have spent most of the day playing in my workshop with my new kraken gear, both my kraken fuses the 703k and the 753k are now fitted with my 633 wings, checked if this was possible and yes it is, the right tools to make the m6 holes into m8 countersunk make a big difference, getting the m8 countersunk screws to lie flush needs a good countersink cutter for metalworking not the woodworking one, and a high speed eclectic drill, my small battery drills were not great, not fast enough to make the job as easy as it can be
All looks like excellent build quality, super stiff masts, I have the 103 and 93,
fuses are from another planet, great fit and finish and with that little zinc anode to ward off corrosion,
Word of warning!! the mast plate screws are long, M8 and countersunk, I use groove boards and checked the depth of the tracks, good job I did the screws are too long and will split your track box if you tighten them up as they bottom out, good job I have heavy cutting tools as M8 SS bolts are hard to cut with a hacksaw, and after cutting I needed my 8mm thread die cutter to clean the threads up,
but all ready to fly now, just need a bit of wind, Saturday!!!!

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:32 pm

I can’t understand how Sab choose such bad title for this new system Kraken, it is Very direct sounding to word crack :) If will be just few cases where this Kraken will crack indeed than Sab This system will be smashed totally.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Thu Apr 28, 2022 9:47 pm

Foil wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 6:15 pm
I have spent most of the day playing in my workshop with my new kraken gear, both my kraken fuses the 703k and the 753k are now fitted with my 633 wings, checked if this was possible and yes it is, the right tools to make the m6 holes into m8 countersunk make a big difference, getting the m8 countersunk screws to lie flush needs a good countersink cutter for metalworking not the woodworking one, and a high speed eclectic drill, my small battery drills were not great, not fast enough to make the job as easy as it can be
All looks like excellent build quality, super stiff masts, I have the 103 and 93,
fuses are from another planet, great fit and finish and with that little zinc anode to ward off corrosion,
Word of warning!! the mast plate screws are long, M8 and countersunk, I use groove boards and checked the depth of the tracks, good job I did the screws are too long and will split your track box if you tighten them up as they bottom out, good job I have heavy cutting tools as M8 SS bolts are hard to cut with a hacksaw, and after cutting I needed my 8mm thread die cutter to clean the threads up,
but all ready to fly now, just need a bit of wind, Saturday!!!!
Hi Foil. If you have a set of measuring calipers (a.k.a vernier calipers) could you please measure the profile thickness and chord length of the 93cm and 103 Kraken masts and compare it to the 1 series (91cm and 101cm)?

I'm interested to know whether the Kraken masts really are as skinny and slender (in both thickness and chord dimensions) as the 1 series masts?!

I suspect that the Kraken masts are actually somewhere in between the 1 series and 2 series masts when it comes to their thickness... bit nobody has been able to measure so far.

P.S. I'm aware that the thickness of the masts are tapered along their length, so may be worth measuring in a few places.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:55 pm

I know there are a couple of Moses/Sabfoil fans in this forum, but to be frank, I don´t understand where Sabfoil is going with Kraken or what´s the point here.

I get that this system offers customers more flexibility in choosing their setup and it also includes a neat looking quick lock system. But on the other hand, customers now pay more for it than before and the setup is also heavier! When you compare the components to components from last year, they all turn out to be slightly heavier. The plate adapter alone weights 750g which is, in foil comparisons, quite severe.

This system advertises with flexibility, but it actually assumes that the average joe foiler owns multiple masts, wings, fuselages or even boards (tuttle and plate) and I dare to say that this assumption is incorrect. The majority of kiters will exactly own one of each of those components. A minority will have different wings for different situations and an even smaller minority might have a whole portfolio with multiple boards, masts and fuselages. Kraken caters mainly for the latter group of foilers and that´s exactly what I don´t understand; It means that overall, the average joe foiler has mainly disadvantages here (except the quick lock), compared to before! They pay more and it´s also heavier.

But maybe I am missing something crucial here or maybe I´ve misunderstood something.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
airsail (Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:00 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 pm

cor wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 3:55 pm
I know there are a couple of Moses/Sabfoil fans in this forum, but to be frank, I don´t understand where Sabfoil is going with Kraken or what´s the point here.

I get that this system offers customers more flexibility in choosing their setup and it also includes a neat looking quick lock system. But on the other hand, customers now pay more for it than before and the setup is also heavier! When you compare the components to components from last year, they all turn out to be slightly heavier. The plate adapter alone weights 750g which is, in foil comparisons, quite severe.

This system advertises with flexibility, but it actually assumes that the average joe foiler owns multiple masts, wings, fuselages or even boards (tuttle and plate) and I dare to say that this assumption is incorrect. The majority of kiters will exactly own one of each of those components. A minority will have different wings for different situations and an even smaller minority might have a whole portfolio with multiple boards, masts and fuselages. Kraken caters mainly for the latter group of foilers and that´s exactly what I don´t understand; It means that overall, the average joe foiler has mainly disadvantages here (except the quick lock), compared to before! They pay more and it´s also heavier.

But maybe I am missing something crucial here or maybe I´ve misunderstood something.

Could you elaborate what it IS?

For us who dont know....

In general terms, what is the difference to current foils?

8) Peter

duckypoos
Rare Poster
Has thanked: 0

Postby duckypoos » Fri Apr 29, 2022 8:08 pm

Totally agree with “cor” , I don’t see any additional advantages with the new system.. but maybe others will . Looks well made,like all sabfoil stuff but invention for the sake of invention in my opinion , a problem that didn’t exist has now been solved. I may have to eat my words mind as I’m just an average Joe .. what do I know ?

Return to “Hydrofoil”