Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: The SAB kraken has landed

Postby airsail » Fri Apr 29, 2022 9:09 pm

The new system addresses the problem of Sabfoil/ retailers having to stock multiple mast and fuselage types for different foiling disciplines. It also allows Sabfoil to beef up the mast/fuselage attachment point to cater for the large wings on wingdings or for those guys jumping.
It does nothing for kitefoil, just makes the foils slower due to the thicker fuselage and mast attachment. Oh, and now you need to fully disassemble the mast every time due to the alloy plate mount.
Last edited by airsail on Sat Apr 30, 2022 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 am

Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 pm
Could you elaborate what it IS?
Why? You can look it up here: https://sabfoil.com/en/news/kraken-modular-system

Or maybe I don´t get the question...

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:37 am

cor wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:24 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:30 pm
Could you elaborate what it IS?

Why? You can look it up here: https://sabfoil.com/en/news/kraken-modular-system

Or maybe I don´t get the question...

Thanks, so the difference is it has an option to use either tuttle head or plate on the mast, right?
And they might have solved the problem with one fuselage screw coming loose?
And a stronger fuselage.
Website/link hasn't the best interface on a mobile, so not sure :o

Makes sense as many (like me) dislike the time consuming plate mount :D
Many use the same foil for kite AND wingfoil, and it seems stronger so good.

8) Peter

cglazier
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: Naish, Flysurfer, Alpine, Moses

Postby cglazier » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:14 am

Peter you are correct in your summary.
Note that Sabfoil is replacing a one piece carbon mast with two pieces, a mast and a rather heavy aluminum top base plate .. which is not very attractive to some of us.

And there was never a problem with the mast to fuselage connection, but apparently some found tightening the screws challenging. Fair enough, products should be easy for consumers.

The main thing is when a manufacturer makes a major change making old gear obsolete, many of us then consider other brands when it is next time to upgrade. Personally in my 14 years of foiling I have gone from Carafino to Spotz to Taaroa to Sabfoil.. and now I’m not at all sure whether I will choose the new Sabfoil Kraken next.

😉
CG

Lamilu
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 110kg
Local Beach: Cabo Frio, Cumbuco
Style: Wave/foil
Gear: Duotone Neo 8, Rebel 7 and 9, Chrono 11
Armstrong M800 and board

Postby Lamilu » Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:43 am

I tecnically see in Kraken a single advantage in the mast to fuselage reinforcment to wigfoilers surfers etc…if you jump…
Normal kite hydrofoil doesnt even need such reinforcment…
The rest is more moving parts and less carbon.
And anouncing suddenly all the rest as “discontinued” to me is a lack of consumer respect to those that invested…
I had to run and get a 700HS fuselage just to garantee future aquisitions of wingsurf wings compatibility to my NEW M92 mast…
(After the local dealer said that even “discontinued” labled stuff will be made for some time…
:angryfire:

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:24 am

I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the Kraken change. Never had a problem with the previous one piece carbon mast setup with myself or any of my kite foil customers. One of the biggest selling points before the Kraken was the light weight of the whole foil setup as well as the good durability, interchangeability and reasonable price. Now the weight for kite foiling has increased substantially with no commensurate benefit to kite foilers and no option to choose the previous mast so many were happy with. The added weight, complexity and cost of the heavy, 750gm, baseplate assembly alone doesn't make sense to me. Another brand I sell, Axis, has the separate base plate and attachment doodads with it's alloy masts which do come with a weight penalty, but when you choose their carbon masts they are one piece and a much lighter choice.

I can understand the change from the perspective of wingfoiling and SUP foiling, where large 100cm+ wide wings are used which do put a lot of strain on the mast to fuselage connection. However to shaft your kite customers, who use much smaller wings, for the sake of another variation of foiling seems to be shortsighted to me. After all I'm sure it has been kite foilers who have supported Moses/SABfoil over the past few years and to make a change to their disadvantage makes no sense to me. Interested to hear from Kraken users their real life kite foil experience especially if they've used the previous masts.
These users thanked the author drsurf for the post:
cor (Sun May 01, 2022 11:35 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:28 am

Oops double post. This forum has been getting a bit flakey lately.

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:02 am

Lamilu wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:43 am
I tecnically see in Kraken a single advantage in the mast to fuselage reinforcment to wigfoilers surfers etc…if you jump…
Normal kite hydrofoil doesnt even need such reinforcment…
The rest is more moving parts and less carbon.
And anouncing suddenly all the rest as “discontinued” to me is a lack of consumer respect to those that invested…
I had to run and get a 700HS fuselage just to garantee future aquisitions of wingsurf wings compatibility to my NEW M92 mast…
(After the local dealer said that even “discontinued” labled stuff will be made for some time…
:angryfire:
Almost all stiff race masts from moses cracked here at the fuse-mast connection, so I understand the need to reinforce it that location. Too bad it comes at the cost of added weight and drag.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:04 am

drsurf wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:24 am
I have to say I'm pretty disappointed by the Kraken change. Never had a problem with the previous one piece carbon mast setup with myself or any of my kite foil customers. One of the biggest selling points before the Kraken was the light weight of the whole foil setup as well as the good durability, interchangeability and reasonable price. Now the weight for kite foiling has increased substantially with no commensurate benefit to kite foilers and no option to choose the previous mast so many were happy with. The added weight, complexity and cost of the heavy, 750gm, baseplate assembly alone doesn't make sense to me. Another brand I sell, Axis, has the separate base plate and attachment doodads with it's alloy masts which do come with a weight penalty, but when you choose their carbon masts they are one piece and a much lighter choice.

I can understand the change from the perspective of wingfoiling and SUP foiling, where large 100cm+ wide wings are used which do put a lot of strain on the mast to fuselage connection. However to shaft your kite customers, who use much smaller wings, for the sake of another variation of foiling seems to be shortsighted to me. After all I'm sure it has been kite foilers who have supported Moses/SABfoil over the past few years and to make a change to their disadvantage makes no sense to me. Interested to hear from Kraken users their real life kite foil experience especially if they've used the previous masts.
100% agree.

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Sat Apr 30, 2022 8:15 pm

No interest in the Kraken system. I’ve placed an order for a Project Cedrus mast. I really like how Kyle thought through the various design elements. Also that no matter how they change their fuse/mast connection, Kyle can design an adapter for it (with the exception of Armstrong). The flexibility to change foil wing brands without worrying about the mast is a MAJOR plus.

What I’m interested in from SAB Foil’s new lineup is their foil wings, specifically the 699. It’s been announced and yet, I can barely find a whisper about it, to say nothing about a release date. All the other wings in this series have been out for quite awhile. What’s the hold up on the 699?
Last edited by lifeinthehood on Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”