Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultimate lightwind kite for foiling? UFO or Single Skin

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: Ultimate lightwind kite for foiling? UFO or Single Skin

Postby Nak » Sun May 15, 2022 11:00 pm

Agnar Jensen wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 8:08 am
So what I'm looking into now is the new UFO 11m. I already ride the UFO 7m and 5m, and pretty much love them. Anyone that has tried the 11m yet? Is it fast (compared to other kites the same size) and can you really relanch in 5 knots, as they say?
I'm not going to claim that the 11m UFO is the "Ultimate" lightwind kite. I do know that it is my favorite light wind kite of any kite I have ever flown. If you love UFOs, you will love the 11m UFO in light winds. I also know that some of the claims on this thread as to what the 11m can and can't do--by people who have never flown the 11m UFO--are incorrect. I just got back from Cancun where I had the opportunity to fly my 11m in some very light winds. Wind was measured on the beach at 4.5 - 6 mph, although I'm sure the wind was higher at 3m. I also saw lulls below 4 mph when measuring. All of that said, there was a delay of several minutes between measuring the wind and the included video. I should have had my wife hold the anemometer while I launched. Regardless, looking at the video it's pretty obvious that the wind is quite light. Note the flag hanging limply, and the light breeze on the gauze curtains of the cabanas. Also, do note the shadow of the toy kite flying above me. This kite is owned by the resort, and they told me they specifically chose it to fly in the lightest wind possible. Also, you'll see I had someone bring me my board after I dragged through the breakers. There are very shallow sand bars in this area until you are past the breakers, and foiling out is not possible--at least for me. I weigh 86 kilos and the 11m had no issue pulling me up as long as it could fly. The kite was a pleasure to fly in these winds, fast and maneuverable--given it's size and the light wind. Apparent wind increased the power of the kite significantly, as I felt well powered once moving. I had to stop frequently to clear seaweed off the foil, and it always amazed me just how light the wind still was considering how powered I felt while riding. I can post a video of my one water relaunch later; it was a breeze--pun intended. :)

https://youtu.be/woAb5jA2_ok
These users thanked the author Nak for the post (total 2):
bitxopalo (Sun May 15, 2022 11:19 pm) • Agnar Jensen (Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:42 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Sun May 15, 2022 11:18 pm

NNOwind wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:04 pm
can this be true?
the big kite goes later?
Nope, not true. Here's the actual chart. BTW, I can confirm the weights for the 8m, 9m and 11m are accurate.
UFO.jpg

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2022 12:05 am

NNOwind wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 1:04 pm
can this be true?
the big kite goes later?
Its just a typo, should have said 05 - 18 knots for the 11 m2 one must assume :thumb:

papasmerf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Weight: 195
Local Beach: west coast
Style: lawn mower
Gear: Slingshot, North, moses, flysurfers, some ozone again, and 17 years of accumulated kite stuff
Brand Affiliation: I like slingshot and north. good folks

Postby papasmerf » Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am

sometimes you just have to buy something and try it. i love my 5m and 7m ufo's as well. you can't go wrong buying an 11m

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 16, 2022 2:02 am

papasmerf wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 1:40 am
sometimes you just have to buy something and try it. i love my 5m and 7m ufo's as well. you can't go wrong buying an 11m
This is totally true. I'm in love with my flysurfer peaks, but I had the chance to try out a 9 meter UFO not long ago, and there is no doubt that it is a really good kite that works well for foiling in some pretty light wind.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Agnar Jensen (Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:41 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Agnar Jensen
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Moss
Gear: Ozone, Slingshot, Moses
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Agnar Jensen » Wed Jan 04, 2023 12:43 pm

I will testify to Nak's description. With UFO 11m I kite safe and sound while my companions struggle to keep their kites in the air.
These users thanked the author Agnar Jensen for the post:
Nak (Thu Jan 05, 2023 7:19 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”