Style: foilboarding
Gear: Flysurfer Souls, Moses Hydrofoil, BraCuru Boards
Brand Affiliation: Moses HF

Maldives. Guraidhoo Kaafu atoll. My nr.1

Postby BraCuru » Fri May 06, 2022 9:22 am

BraCuru wrote:
Tue Sep 08, 2020 10:41 am
Dare to say: probably the best kitespot in Maldives under construction now:
perfect lagoon, perfect wind directions, perfect launching area.
The reclamation ground needs at least 5 years to settle down.
Now I can confirm the above assumption. Hopefully the post can help FOIL riders heading to the Maldives for the first time. Those who have already experienced the archipelago have their own observations and certainly their number one. I emphasize that this is info for foilers, not kiters. Forgive me for a little marketing and advertising. The locals do not realize that they live on a hidden treasure for hydrofoil riders, so they don't promote it, even though they gladly welcome tourists.

So why is Guraidhoo my favorite island in the Maldives? There are several reasons. So far I have visited the Maldives 6 times at 4 out of 20 natural atolls: North Kaafu (Thulusdhoo), South Kaafu (Guraidhoo), Ari (Dhigurah) and Vaavu (Fulidhoo). Personally, I have walked around 30 islands. With basic local knowledge and the ability to read satellite imagery, I spent sweet hours studying all the atolls and islands in Google Earth in pursuit of an island suitable for scuba divers and foilers. I checked all inhabited islands with guest houses. I didn't pay much attention to island resorts (around 130) as this is too expensive an option for me and they usually have strict rules that can restrict long kite cruising. The research was based on the following assumptions: safety of the foiler, easy launching area with the right wind direction, sufficient water depth, safe and interesting for foil cruising, a local island with several guesthouses, places to eat, attractive for snorkeling, paddling on a SUP board and diving with a certified diving center.

There are dozens of foiler-friendly Maldivian islands, but the ultimate winner of my pursuit is Guraidhoo in Kaafu Atoll. Especially since 2021, when the reclamation works were completed. The area of the island has been doubled. New 15 hectares of sand have been added and a large picnic island has been created. The reclamation area has created a kind of amphitheater around a large lagoon with easy access beyond the reef for hydrofoils.
Keep in mind that, despite what we see in the catalogs, many Maldivian islands have limited launching areas (palm trees, shrubs, narrow beaches), have a difficult access to the deep water or there are offshore winds. For example, on Dhigurah I had to master launching a foil kite from a backpack being 200m from the shore. On Maafushi, a similar problem occurs during the winter monsoons. Guraidhoo had a similar problem before 2021, but not anymore. For the next few years, it will probably have the largest and unlimited launching area in the entire archipelago, working in any wind direction.
Self-explaining pictures:

The Guraidhoo lagoon is 5-7m deep with insulated reef blocks which in low water are over 1m deep - safe for hydrofoiling. There is even a small sandy area on the northeastern top of the lagoon to learn first steps in kitesurfing or foiling. The lagoon is a good place to hone foiling skills for beginners and intermediate riders. Super flat water, no current, steady light or sometimes moderate wind (January, February, May). You can kite in the lagoon with turtles and stingrays if you are lucky. Advanced riders will find different and challenging conditions such as strong currents (locals call it a washing machine), super flat water for speeding, and wave riding in 1-2m waves. I like Guraidhoo so much that even though I have been there 4 times I will be returning whenever possible in the future. It fits my riding style perfectly and there are many other attractions such as diving, SUPing, snorkeling. Kandooma Thila is one of the best diving sites in the Maldives. It is unforgettable to swim with dozens of black or white tip sharks that make their show in the "cleaning station". We dived there about 20 times and every descent was good or amazing. Manta rays flock there too, but only in May and June. You can meet dolphins from time to time in both channels.

One word of explanation for assessments and ranking below. My style of foiling is doing long distances, foil travelling, crossings and occasionally racing.
I feel more a sailor than a kiter. A big lagoon off Guraidhoo is too small for my needs. The Kaafu atoll is a right size “pool” for me. It might be rounded within 4 hours on a recreational trip or 3 hours while racing.
Some trackings:
Image Image Image

10 reasons to award Guraidhoo as my favourite foiling spot in Maldives:
1. Large, safe lagoon with easy launching area working in all winds. Flat water, no current, steady winds, accessible in all prevailing winds during each month. A proper place for all levels.
2. Waist/chest shallow water within the lagoon for beginners (NE corner). Pure sand on the bottom 300x200m ish. No corals.
3. Waves which can be ridden with foil at Guraidhoo Corner. The waves reach 1,5-2m during winter 20 kts days. Period 10-15s. Apparently, these waves are tricky but accessible for foilers. I call them Guraidhoo Jaws. One of the best surfing spots in Maldives is called Cokes at Thulusdhoo but I never dared to enter it with a hydrofoil.
4. Busy speedboat traffic within the atoll. This is crucial for solo cruising. The capital is just 30km to North and most of ferries and speedboats bound to Southern atolls transfer close to Guraidhoo. There are always some boats passing by in a sight.
5. There are numerous islands in short distance (10 islands within 4km range) what makes cruising safer and more interesting. These short distance destinations are great for SUP paddling too!
6. There is always good phone coverage while kiting inside the atoll.
7. Kiting with dolphins 100% guaranteed inside Rhiveli lagoon (11km from Guraidhoo).
8. Good spot for speed freaks close to entrance to the harbour.
9. Rescue – speedboat skippers are always happy to assist if needed outside the lagoon. Inside the lagoon there is rather no need to assist as this is a kind of the pool. It’s possible to walk around the lagoon even on high water but in the worst scenario a local hero Ali Mahir (windsurfer and kiter) would launch his speedboat to collect the lost one in dire straits. If you have a partner and a SUP it’s fan to be assisted by a paddler too. In this moment I would like to thank to my wife for SUP rescue ops. Twice so far.
10. Maafushi (one of the oldest and most popular “budget” islands) is a neighbour island where kiteboarding is very popular (probably kiting capital of the country) and have a great lagoon for twintips but unfortunately, it’s not the best spot for foilers. It’s too shallow and very restricted launching area with usual a bit offshore winds during the winter. There are a couple of kite schools, rentals. Had a pleasure to foil at Maafushi with Youri Zoon three months ago. Two-time World freestyle champion will make a camp at Como Cocoa Island from 30th May
https://www.comohotels.com/en/cocoaisla ... youri-zoon
This is a neighbour island to Guraidhoo. My son used to cross 1km channel on a twintip too. I was foiling and paddling on SUPs a lot around Como Coca and amazing 700m long sandy peninsula.

To summarize – I give 9/10 for Guraidhoo as it perfectly matches my favourite water sport activities.
If you like to foil beyond horizon and to enjoy world class SUPing, snorkelling and scuba diving this island should be highly considered if you don’t know Maldives yet. I recommend it as well as a decent spot for foiling camps or test/photo sessions. One disadvantage for beginners is a boulder revetment of the new reclamation area. It’s built of rocks and sandy bags. Better not crash there.

More details about my exploration of Maldives (mostly Guraidhoo) in this topic:
viewtopic.php?f=196&t=2387008

Info for divers
There are two certified and well equipped centers (PADI and SSI).

https://www.divepoint-maldives.com/en/d ... o-basis-en
https://www.manta-divers.com/
Apparently with my wife, daughter, daughter in law and son we took our first scuba dives there and completed PADI open water courses.
It changed our holiday planning since 2015. No more Brasil, South Africa and Asia.
To younger friends who love to explore the globe I say: don’t go to Maldives before you see the World otherwise you might not see it anymore.
With my wife we met new friends ;)

Last February we had a pleasure to dive with dozens of Spanish girls and Polish photographer Woj.Dop. The story about Spanish squad is worth of another topic :!: Check out Wojtek’s pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/woj.dop.underw ... /photos_by

Accommodation.
There are around 20 guesthouses on the island. Simple and clean. No luxury despite “Spas and Retreats” in their names. Don’t expect resort’s quality. A half of them seems to be closed.
I recommend this three below:
Iris Beach Resorts (the best view without any doubt. We stayed three times there) – you can launch and land 10m from the house or even land a kite on the roof haha. https://irisbeachresidence.com/

Ocean Retreat and Spa – IMO the best meals on the island https://www.oceanretreatandspa.com/
Guraidhoo Palm Inn – sweet spot for divers https://www.divepoint-maldives.com/en/resorts/guraidhoo
BTW – be careful booking this one: http://marinabayspa.maldives-hotelsresorts.com/en/ It looks amazing but check out google opinions first. We wanted to pay double money for a stay there but due to their incompetence and poor communication we failed. It’s a pity as it’s the most luxury guest house on the island by far.
Local food – I am not a fan of Maldivian cuisine. I usually lose 2 kg a week so I actually should take in on a bright side of holiday. You should see me drinking a pint and having a bloody steak at the first airport abroad hahaha. There are restricted places to eat. Unfortunately covid killed the only one “restaurant” I liked.

Weather info:
https://www.dreamingofmaldives.com/mald ... climate.ph

My very personal ranking so far:
Guraidhoo – winter monsoon 9/10, summer monsoon 9/10
Maafushi – winter monsoon 5/10, summer monsoon 9/10
Thulusdhoo - winter monsoon 8/10, summer monsoon 8/10
Dhigurah - winter monsoon 5/10, summer monsoon 7/10
Fulidhoo - winter monsoon 6/10, summer monsoon 7/10
At last and for some might be crucial info – there is no beer on local islands.

Guraidhoo Foil 2022:

8 minute vlog in Polish only from a trip around the atoll:

Kiting with dolphins (11km off Guraidhoo):

These users thanked the author BraCuru for the post (total 5):
Janus (Fri May 06, 2022 10:06 am) • Oldman (Fri May 06, 2022 10:20 am) • Toby (Fri May 06, 2022 11:51 am) • SENDIT! (Tue Mar 21, 2023 8:40 pm) • lifeinthehood (Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:15 am)
Rating: 15.15%

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Re: Maldives. Guraidhoo Kaafu atoll. My nr.1

Postby Toby » Fri May 06, 2022 11:52 am

Awesome info, thank you!

Can you comment on wind speeds ?

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Grzybowo, Kołobrzeg, Polish Baltic Coast
Favorite Beaches: Polish Baltic Beach

Postby BraCuru » Fri May 06, 2022 1:14 pm

Toby, this is a tricky question in 2022.
Till now I would reply: guaranteed 10-20kts almost every day in January and February with majority of 13+kts days.

Last winter was odd. In terms of Maldives: windy in November and very windy in December. January 6-11kts with a couple days of 12-14kts. February really bad.
I managed to use Sonic 9m only once! All other days I was riding on Sonic 15m however I was kiting every day.
This was a big surprise as all previous winters I used a kite bigger than 10m maybe 5-6 times in total of 75 winter days.
The rest on 8 or 10m. Bear in mind that I use a large custom board which help a lot in light winds.

Once or twice I packed the biggest kite size 10m once going to Maldives in winter.
Note that I am writing about foilboarding. For twintipers and tube kites it would be not so optimistic.
I stayed at Guraidhoo 24 days last February and I would say that a rider of weight 90kg and a 15m tube kite plus a large twintip would kite 2-3 days only. Very odd.

Check out daily archives form 1st November till today.
https://www.windguru.cz/archive.php?id_ ... 2022-05-06
Locals say that May is the most windy month.

Windguru says:
Wind becomes stronger around 2kts in late afternoons.
These users thanked the author BraCuru for the post:
Toby (Fri May 06, 2022 2:25 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

kiste
Rare Poster
Style: Freestyle, Wakestyle
Gear: Naish Boxer 12m, SS SST 9m, 7m, Duotone Whip CSC, Core SLC Foil, Wingdings...
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiste » Fri May 06, 2022 10:37 pm

We spent two weeks on Thudufushi in early November. They told me, there is no wind in November on the Maldives, but… every day we had 12-15 knots plus from the east (Not measured, but it was always blowing during the days). Winging would have been perfect in the lagoon.

https://goo.gl/maps/EM9vZURYGByzzJmV6

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby RadDrDuke » Wed May 18, 2022 2:59 pm

We are all sold, it's just super hard to get there from many places!

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Fri May 20, 2022 9:05 am

kiste wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 10:37 pm
We spent two weeks on Thudufushi in early November. They told me, there is no wind in November on the Maldives, but… every day we had 12-15 knots plus from the east (Not measured, but it was always blowing during the days). Winging would have been perfect in the lagoon.

https://goo.gl/maps/EM9vZURYGByzzJmV6
Above confirms that last winter was abnormal. February which supposed to be windy was rubbish for twintip and rather poor for foilers.
RadDrDuke wrote: We are all sold, it's just super hard to get there from many places!
Did you mean flights to Maldives?
If so - there are many return flights in a range 700-800€ for every day.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Wed Feb 08, 2023 12:23 pm

We will be back to Guraidhoo from 11th till 25th February. Just packing. There will be 3 kite/wingfoilers. Will anybody be the same time near Maafushi & Guraidhoo?
last year had pleasure to meet Youri Zoon.
I am planning to kite to Thulusdhoo so I hope to meet some kiters near Male too.

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Postby Toby » Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:06 pm

Friends of mine just came back from Maldives. Didn’t go for kiting, and stayed in a village. As a Brazilian women she wasn’t very pleased with the Islamic world. Can you comment on this regarding the area you go to?

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:38 pm

This is a great write up. Thanks.

BraCuru
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BraCuru » Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:28 pm

Toby wrote:
Wed Feb 08, 2023 1:06 pm
Friends of mine just came back from Maldives. Didn’t go for kiting, and stayed in a village. As a Brazilian women she wasn’t very pleased with the Islamic world. Can you comment on this regarding the area you go to?
She must have been too catholic then.
I've been to couple of Islamic countries and Maldive version seems to be very soft one to me. In reality we learned that women are more important than it looks at the first glance.

We know some families pretty well and it was surprising for us that final decisions are usually taken by mothers, wives. They run business too. They don't need to wear hijabs however most of them do as it is practical in tropics.

We have been 5 times at the same island and we feel like at home - safe and happy. Pretty sure we are going to have a warm welcome by locals on our arrival. Sometimes I go kiting for 7-8 hours and my wife has no problem to go alone sunbathing, snorkelling, paddling, diving or eating.

We gave up travelling to Paracuru, Cumbuco after 4 holidays there, once we were attacked and robbed by local Catholics. Haven't heard about similar case of mugging at Guraidhoo. Even sharks don't want to attack tourists ;)

Toby - you know Thailand very well. We feel as safe in Guraidhoo as in Pranburi despite different religions.
These users thanked the author BraCuru for the post (total 2):
Toby (Wed Feb 08, 2023 10:51 pm) • lifeinthehood (Wed Mar 22, 2023 1:16 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”