Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Age and hydrofoiling

Postby ieism » Mon May 09, 2022 10:35 am

To all the people who say they can only foil an hour a week, get you priority straight. I'm at the beach two days a week, and in the mountains 60 days each winter. Yes I have a family, there's no reason you should be at home that much. It runs smoother when you're not there, trust me. :lol:
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
loco4viento (Tue May 10, 2022 2:22 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:55 am

fernmanus wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 pm
Everyone who is hydrofoiling is over 70 years old. :D
It's an Olympic discipline now not many 70 years olds at the Olympic...

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards

Postby nothing2seehere » Mon May 09, 2022 2:05 pm

ieism wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:35 am
To all the people who say they can only foil an hour a week, get you priority straight. I'm at the beach two days a week, and in the mountains 60 days each winter. Yes I have a family, there's no reason you should be at home that much. It runs smoother when you're not there, trust me. :lol:
The problem for many of us isn't the getting out of the house. Its how long you are out of the house. An hour on the water is (for me) 3 hours out of the house and that's with only a 25minute drive to the beach. That's the barrier I battle with. If I go for a run, its only an hour. If I wanted to go to the gym - its an hour. If I wanted to buy and ride a bike - its an hour. If I wanted to play golf - well I'd do that at unsociable o'clock in the morning before the family finished eating breakfast and watching TV. If I kite I need to go when the wind and tide present itself which is generally in the middle of the day (why does the wind always seem to drop off early in the morning until 11am anyway?)

For some reason, the municipal authorities all seem to build schools away from the coast and the family don't fancy a 20 minute car drive to and from a school every day so I'm unlikely to be able to present a compelling case for moving closer either.
These users thanked the author nothing2seehere for the post:
Eltreato (Tue May 10, 2022 8:50 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Mon May 09, 2022 10:18 pm

nothing2seehere wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:05 pm

The problem for many of us isn't the getting out of the house. Its how long you are out of the house. An hour on the water is (for me) 3 hours out of the house and that's with only a 25minute drive to the beach. That's the barrier I battle with. If I go for a run, its only an hour. If I wanted to go to the gym - its an hour. If I wanted to buy and ride a bike - its an hour. If I wanted to play golf - well I'd do that at unsociable o'clock in the morning before the family finished eating breakfast and watching TV. If I kite I need to go when the wind and tide present itself which is generally in the middle of the day (why does the wind always seem to drop off early in the morning until 11am anyway?)

For some reason, the municipal authorities all seem to build schools away from the coast and the family don't fancy a 20 minute car drive to and from a school every day so I'm unlikely to be able to present a compelling case for moving closer either.
in my case, HF filled this "1-hour requirement" very well since I live 5 minutes by car from a beach where wind is rarely above 12k, thus, I can know take a flash-session in the mid afternoon without messing with my regular schedule.

@cor raised a very good point. Foil is about efficiency. We don't need to be hostage of a perfect weather forecast like tt guys do. Just a solid breeze is enough to fill the gaps in our daily duties.

Less joint impact is also welcome as we get older :lol: :lol: :lol:

btw, I'm 46's :P

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am

ieism wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:35 am
Sounds like you're in a very fortunate position to be able to goto beach 2x per week, and to the mountains 60days each year. My annual leave vacation allowance at work isn't even half that number of days (and the majority of people dont get nearly as much holiday as that either).
Also, I assume that either you don't have young children, or you have a very understanding wife (or both?).

For the moment I get on the water as much as I possible, but not as much as I would like given my other responsibilities which take priority.

Either way, I'm envious of your ability to get out so much :thumb:

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue May 10, 2022 12:15 pm

dave1986 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am
My annual leave vacation allowance at work isn't even half that number of days (and the majority of people dont get nearly as much holiday as that either).
The key here is to not have to rely on holidays for your kiting! Every day needs a little bit of holiday, that's the recipe for a happy life! Some work, some family time, some riding time, some rest, all in balance!
Not a heavy grinding work week where you only survive with the prospect of the next vacations.

Vacations are nice, of course, but they shouldn't be your only riding time. Extended lunch breaks, early board meetings, leaving work early and doing a few more hours after dinner, should allow you to squeeze some riding here and there during a normal week.
Getting super efficient in the setup and packdown is quite critical when playing that game, that and a good watch! Nothing like doing a school run while still dripping!
Of course, individual circumstances vary a lot, find your way!
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post (total 2):
ieism (Tue May 10, 2022 6:49 pm) • Kamikuza (Thu May 12, 2022 10:43 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue May 10, 2022 1:32 pm

Couldn't agree more :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Kiterisland1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot

Postby Kiterisland1 » Tue May 10, 2022 2:00 pm

bragnouff wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 12:15 pm
dave1986 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:43 am
My annual leave vacation allowance at work isn't even half that number of days (and the majority of people dont get nearly as much holiday as that either).
The key here is to not have to rely on holidays for your kiting! Every day needs a little bit of holiday, that's the recipe for a happy life! Some work, some family time, some riding time, some rest, all in balance!
Not a heavy grinding work week where you only survive with the prospect of the next vacations.

Vacations are nice, of course, but they shouldn't be your only riding time. Extended lunch breaks, early board meetings, leaving work early and doing a few more hours after dinner, should allow you to squeeze some riding here and there during a normal week.
Getting super efficient in the setup and packdown is quite critical when playing that game, that and a good watch! Nothing like doing a school run while still dripping!
Of course, individual circumstances vary a lot, find your way!
Nice post, it’s true. But how about when you live 1-2hrs from the closest spot. Makes things much more difficult.

abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Postby abel » Tue May 10, 2022 6:03 pm

Kiterisland1 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:00 pm

Nice post, it’s true. But how about when you live 1-2hrs from the closest spot. Makes things much more difficult.
That's one more significant reason to hydrofoil !
The odds of having have a good session are a lot higher.

rquintella
Rare Poster
Local Beach: NY area
Style: freeride
Gear: North Rebel, Liquid Force Element

Postby rquintella » Thu May 12, 2022 3:30 am

dave1986 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:30 am
Foil wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:31 am
when anyone retires from the day job your free time is endless,
so pick a day! any day you want, Ttips surfboards, skim boards, and the like will not fill the free time gap, you can go for months and still not get out for a really good session, however kite foiling once you have it cracked, can you leave you with very little time to spend in the garage, garden, diy house repairs, shopping,watching daytime tv, the number of days you can get out there are amazing, extra wetsuits and drysuits are required as they dont get time to dry,
2 months before I retired my kitefoiling gear was on order, 2 months holiday booked where i spent every day getting to grips with the complexity of kite foiling, nearly 5 years on and so glad kite foiling became my choice of watersport,
if I only had Ttips to use I would be a grumpy old get, always moaning there was never enough wind.
Learning how to boost and land(landing is an art,very hard to master) after year 2 was a big new world in kite foiling for me, so glad the stronger masts from sab are now in my quiver, and the newer superlight kite foil related LEI kites that also boost big on foil and Ttip, it just gets better.
The opposite is also true. I'm one of the rare kitefoilers in their 30's (little edit from above) :wink: .

Before anyone retires from the day job (especially with kids) your free time is very little, and precious.
So pick an hour per week if you're lucky! But not any hour, it has to be a specific hour that works with all the demands of family life and work, Ttips surfboards, skim boards, and the like will not fill the hour because 90% of the time is it not enough wind for these stronger wind kite discliplines. However kite foiling once you have it cracked, can fill that hour 90% of the time (especially if you own a lightweight foil kite).

I’m 40…. 3 kids.. not much time and live in a light wind spot.
Kitefoiling saved my kiting life!

Return to “Hydrofoil”