Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Age and hydrofoiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
abel
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Favorite Beaches: Naxos, Kos, Rodos (prasonisi), Red sea, Cumbuco, Kalpitia (Sri Lanka)
Style: freeride, very light winds
Gear: Peak4, Airush Ultra, hydrofoil Moses 633

Age and hydrofoiling

Postby abel » Sun May 08, 2022 7:02 pm

I'm wondering how many of the 70 years old and beyond are hydrofoiling.
Personally, since reaching the 7ties, I prefer hydrofoiling over kitefoiling, mainly because of the abundance of foiling days vs stronger winds....

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Age and hydrofoiling

Postby fernmanus » Sun May 08, 2022 10:23 pm

Everyone who is hydrofoiling is over 70 years old. :D

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Axis1050 » Sun May 08, 2022 10:43 pm

Hi
I am 75 but now closer to 76.
I kitefoil, wingfoil, efoil and kayak plus SUP surf on nice days.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 09, 2022 12:09 am

I'm 47.

I prefer hydrofoiling because it got much easier once I learned about it.

It's still fun to blast around on my surfboard or twin-tip now and then, in higher winds, but the amount of time I feel comfortable on my hydrofoil now, is almost all the time.

And the amount of sessions I've gained in lighter winds since getting into hydrofoiling... Even with smaller kites... it's vast... and there was a point in the distant past where I was considered super-efficient at riding big kites on big boards in light wind.

I just muck-around on a surf foil, but the racers are pushing the limits of what is possible.

Sometimes I'm out tooling around in my station-wagon when the forumla1 cars come out, and it just blows my mind ...

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon May 09, 2022 5:19 am

abel wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:02 pm
I prefer hydrofoiling over kitefoiling
What is the difference?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon May 09, 2022 6:03 am

evan wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:19 am
abel wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 7:02 pm
I prefer hydrofoiling over kitefoiling
What is the difference?
I was wondering about that as well?

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon May 09, 2022 6:31 am

when anyone retires from the day job your free time is endless,
so pick a day! any day you want, Ttips surfboards, skim boards, and the like will not fill the free time gap, you can go for months and still not get out for a really good session, however kite foiling once you have it cracked, can you leave you with very little time to spend in the garage, garden, diy house repairs, shopping,watching daytime tv, the number of days you can get out there are amazing, extra wetsuits and drysuits are required as they dont get time to dry,
2 months before I retired my kitefoiling gear was on order, 2 months holiday booked where i spent every day getting to grips with the complexity of kite foiling, nearly 5 years on and so glad kite foiling became my choice of watersport,
if I only had Ttips to use I would be a grumpy old get, always moaning there was never enough wind.
Learning how to boost and land(landing is an art,very hard to master) after year 2 was a big new world in kite foiling for me, so glad the stronger masts from sab are now in my quiver, and the newer superlight kite foil related LEI kites that also boost big on foil and Ttip, it just gets better.

dave1986
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85kg
Local Beach: Llangennith
Style: Twintip & hydrofoil
Gear: Naish Pivots 6m, 7m, 9m
Naish Boxer 12m
Ozone Chrono V4 13m

Postby dave1986 » Mon May 09, 2022 8:30 am

Foil wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:31 am
when anyone retires from the day job your free time is endless,
so pick a day! any day you want, Ttips surfboards, skim boards, and the like will not fill the free time gap, you can go for months and still not get out for a really good session, however kite foiling once you have it cracked, can you leave you with very little time to spend in the garage, garden, diy house repairs, shopping,watching daytime tv, the number of days you can get out there are amazing, extra wetsuits and drysuits are required as they dont get time to dry,
2 months before I retired my kitefoiling gear was on order, 2 months holiday booked where i spent every day getting to grips with the complexity of kite foiling, nearly 5 years on and so glad kite foiling became my choice of watersport,
if I only had Ttips to use I would be a grumpy old get, always moaning there was never enough wind.
Learning how to boost and land(landing is an art,very hard to master) after year 2 was a big new world in kite foiling for me, so glad the stronger masts from sab are now in my quiver, and the newer superlight kite foil related LEI kites that also boost big on foil and Ttip, it just gets better.
The opposite is also true. I'm one of the rare kitefoilers in their 30's (little edit from above) :wink: .

Before anyone retires from the day job (especially with kids) your free time is very little, and precious.
So pick an hour per week if you're lucky! But not any hour, it has to be a specific hour that works with all the demands of family life and work, Ttips surfboards, skim boards, and the like will not fill the hour because 90% of the time is it not enough wind for these stronger wind kite discliplines. However kite foiling once you have it cracked, can fill that hour 90% of the time (especially if you own a lightweight foil kite).

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Mon May 09, 2022 10:26 am

dave1986 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:30 am
I'm one of the rare kitefoilers in their 30's
Rare kitefoiler in their 30s? Come on. I know dozens of kitefoilers in their 30s. This is not rare at all. I even know several kitefoilers who are under 15 (yes, you read correctly) and also a lot in their 20s. At least half of the kiters I know have a foil in their quiver and pull it out whenever TT is not possible.

I am really surprised that people here in this forum make foiling an age thing. Foiling is not about age. Foiling is about efficiency and making most of the conditions.

@ all the guys in their 60s and 70s: You are an inspiration to me. Yes, seriously. When I see you guys on the water, it makes me smile. Because it reminds me that I can still do this amazing sport in my 70s, which is just awesome.
These users thanked the author cor for the post:
rnelias (Mon May 09, 2022 10:06 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Mon May 09, 2022 10:34 am

How come all those kids can afford the expensive foil kit?!

I am somwhere in the middle between my 30s and 70s and finding myself more and more in the foiling regime.
Mainly because you get so much more water time on a foil relative to surfboard / twintip.
But also because with increasing age / education and decreasing overall physical fitness you learn to value the smaller impact of foiling in weaker winds, and the reduced risk of injury when you can avoid those 30+ kts days :D
Last edited by Onda on Mon May 09, 2022 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hydrofoil”