Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm
Brand Affiliation: None

Foil board

Postby andylc » Fri May 13, 2022 11:18 pm

I am about to take the plunge and get a foil, which will be an ex-demo Levitaz Cruizer. I will need a board, F-one Pocket, Levitaz Exo and Sabfoil T38 are all about the same price. Any opinions or does it not make much odds? I am hoping that 120-130cm will be long enough to teach myself on but not too big that I will want another one too quickly. If there is not much to choose between them I'll probably get the Levitaz from a purely cosmetic point of view (matching!), although I have always like the look of the Moses - sorry Sabfoil!
Thanks in advance.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Re: Foil board

Postby ieism » Sat May 14, 2022 8:02 am

I would look up the volumes to get a better idea of beginner potential. I would agree learning on these is possible if you're determined.

I went with bit of volume as my first board, and have not felt the need to change even after riding friends small tray for a while. I like the float as I ride long sessions far at sea it feels safer to have something that still floats with me laying on it.

The exo4 has a lot of front footstrap/hook inserts , the only thing I don't like about my board is I could not get the perfect position for my straps when I was still using those.

Once up on foil you probably won't feels a huge difference between these as a beginner/intermediate rider.

Also look at the Slingshot dwarf craft v1 , as it's short light and still has some volume.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sat May 14, 2022 8:12 am

Exo has the largest volume which I thought would be useful - 18.6 litres. Hadn’t thought much about strap position as was intending to learn strapless but it’s a good point - thanks.

downunder
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: building my own

Postby downunder » Sat May 14, 2022 4:44 pm

Zero volume needed.

To be fair, an plywood can do. Anything the harness hook cant break.

And expensive T38 is not hook friendly.
C7F707A1-1745-450E-9DA5-92B7CD43BFD3.jpeg

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Sat May 14, 2022 6:24 pm

I'm not sure if learning strapless is easier. I went from strapless surfboard to learning with a single front strap, and later a hook. I couldn't figure the strapless waterstart out , and I found it easy to have something to hold the board. It's better to have the options anyway is what I'm saying.

Volume vs. no volume is an age-old debate. When learning I find it very helpful because you can practice gibes and tacks almost the same as on a surfboard in a safe and controlled way at slow speed and then build up speed slowly.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Sat May 14, 2022 7:55 pm

Rocker and edge outline are important too--especially for a beginner. You want to be able to touch down without a ton of drag or the nose pearling. You want to be able to ride the board off the foil comfortably as you learn to foil, and then again when you learn to gybe. Volume helps some with light wind starts. A low volume board is more likely to be difficult to body drag to, depending on the wing and mast. i.e. a wing and mast that floats combined with a low volume board can actually sail upwind. I've tracked via GPS a Kanaha Shapes 42" board with a Moses 91 mast and 790 wing and the combination started sailing upwind in light winds after about a minute. (10- 12 mph.) This is the only board that I've been unable to body drag to in almost 20 years of kiting. Replace the pocket board with the KS 47" board--about 26 liters?--and now it's easy to body drag to.

Both the Kanaha Shapes 47" and the current Slingshot Dwarfcraft 120 cm should be very doable to learn on, as well as be worthwhile for you to keep in your board quiver for light winds as you progress.

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Marsa Alam, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi, Ceara
Style: Foil, Strapless surf, Big Air
Gear: Kite:> Tomo Vader 5.1 HE & KS MariMacho board,
Gong YpraS Foils,
Pansh Kestrel, Kauper Falcon, Blade Trigger kites.
Wing:> Amos Shapes Sultan Custom board,
Gong YpraS + Ypra Surf Foils,
Gong UPE Aramid Droid & Neutra Wings
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun May 15, 2022 8:57 am

If you plan to learn strapless (I did) volume is rather detrimental, as you need to keep the board canted over with one hand until diving the kite dives.

As said above, rocker is important if you foil in chop, or when touching down by mistake.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sun May 15, 2022 9:21 am

Not sure what constitutes a big volume board but I think the Exo is a pretty good compromise.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 pm

If anyone could be bothered to critique my two possible choices it would be appreciated:

Exo - 125cm, 19 litres, rounded nose, not specifically intended as a beginner board but hopefully would be good for the long term

Match - 144cm, 21 litres, thinner rounded nose presumably for easier touchdowns and initial planing, marketed more as a beginner board but ??too big for me in long term as I am a lightweight (66kg) rider.

Also while I'm at it...slider spreader or stick with the hook? I cab swap fairly easily with Ride Engine Unity. Not changing to a seat harness!

Thanks!

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Mon May 16, 2022 12:07 am

andylc wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 pm
Exo - 125cm, 19 litres, rounded nose, not specifically intended as a beginner board but hopefully would be good for the long term

Match - 144cm, 21 litres, thinner rounded nose presumably for easier touchdowns and initial planing, marketed more as a beginner board but ??too big for me in long term as I am a lightweight (66kg) rider.
My only complaint about these boards having never seen or ridden one: I don't like how far forward the track system is. This will limit your future choices of foils. Both of my boards have tracks further aft than shown on those two boards, and I have my mast mounted as far aft as it will go. This will matter less if you choose to go completely strapless, but I like having one front hook. This allows me to use the hook for water starting in rough water, and the aft mast position allows me to completely remove my foot from the hook and ride strapless once up.

andylc wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 4:16 pm
Also while I'm at it...slider spreader or stick with the hook? I cab swap fairly easily with Ride Engine Unity.
Start with whatever you're used to; later on you can think about trying different options. Fewer variables will make your learning curve faster.

Return to “Hydrofoil”