Foil board

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Foil board

Postby Trent hink » Mon May 16, 2022 12:38 am

I think you should go with the smaller board.

I did start out on a larger board, but just as soon as I got a grasp on things, a smaller board would have been better.

I'm still using my Slingshot Dwarfcraft, which was my second board.

I think maybe the exo board is comparable.

It might be a bit harder just starting out, but you won't outgrow it to the point that you quickly wish for something smaller.

Also, I'm about 83 kg, and slow and clumsy.

When you start out, you don't want to be milking the kite to ride at the lowest possible wind speed.

You want enough power where the kite is still easy to fly, and lifting enough where maybe you can go really slow and use the kite as a crutch if you need to: this is way less wind than what it takes to go up wind on a twintip.

If you find yourself getting up, but then wacky out control, then you need to try a smaller kite.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby ieism » Mon May 16, 2022 8:14 am

I also started and still ride a larger board, but it depends what your using it for if smaller is better. Yesterday I was riding a flatwater bay carving turns and I wish I had a smaller board. But to get there I had to ride 10 miles upwind trough choppy swell and there the larger board is better in my opinion.

Learning foiling is hard, and I honestly don't think 10cm more board makes much of a difference. Once you learn how to start you'll be fine on anything.

For most people a board around 120 would be something6 they can ride for years before they feel the need to go smaller. So go with the Exo

andylc
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Exmouth
Favorite Beaches: Saunton Sands
Gear: Reedin Supermodel V3 7,9,11m, Duotone Juice 13m
Saul Custom Wave Board 138cm
Nomad Superleggera LW 142cm

Postby andylc » Mon May 16, 2022 8:21 am

Thanks for the replies. Exo looks like the best choice. Track placing looks similar to most but there are some with tracks slightly further back. Hopefully won’t be an issue!
Thanks again.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2022 11:06 am

andylc wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 8:12 am
Exo has the largest volume which I thought would be useful - 18.6 litres. Hadn’t thought much about strap position as was intending to learn strapless but it’s a good point - thanks.

DONT learn strapless...
Unless your only task in life is to do this - everything is possible :rollgrin:

There will always be some saying "I learned strapless" - but for almost everyone it is impossible to learn that way and a waste of time.

Get a strap or hook(s) or something, while learning.

Once learned, it is easy to learn strapless - but not for starters, no matter how good you are at strapless surfboards, as there is absolutely zero experience from surfboards, that can be transferred to starting on a foil - it works almost opposite :naughty:

8) Peter

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Mon May 16, 2022 11:54 am

Does it help that I never bothered much with directional boards, although I can do it never enjoyed it that much.
In my lack of knowledge I thought it might be easier to get going since you start with the board more on its’ side than with a surfboard and can get your feet nicely in position before diving the kite...or maybe not...

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 16, 2022 12:14 pm

Thats my cue, then:
I learned strapless though my first session was on a borrowed strap board. I didnt get both feet in straps - maybe board was set up wrong?. It was hard to get enough weight forward. Anyway, it only takes a session or two to find foot positions that work, and within 10 you should be able to vary your stance for conditions, comfort etc. Wear helmet to protect your head, strapped or not.
Either way can work. I too am 83 kg, and only slightly talented. Note that you do want a low volume board to make starts easy though.
i wonder WHY to learn strapped first?
I will confess Peter is probably a better rider based on videos, but i dont think strapless has benn what held me back - more my limited, mostly weekend opportunities to kite.

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Mon May 16, 2022 12:26 pm

I'm happy to try either and was planning on getting a board with straps so I can make my mind up what I prefer. But I had thought that no straps = less chance of injury whilst learning.
Can anyone comment on boards with bevelled rails versus flatter bottoms?

BWD
Very Frequent Poster

Postby BWD » Mon May 16, 2022 12:39 pm

Many times I am grateful to be able to just step off the board rather than crash harder with torque on my legs and back, even after years at it.

Rails that are rounder or beveled in the front half of board especially catch less when touching down or grazing chops amd wave crests. Sharper at tail is ok but it matters less than surface boards, of course. For a lower volume board like you will probably want, rail bevel isn’t as important as with thick boards where it allows you to crank board over harder going upwind.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon May 16, 2022 3:19 pm

Of course you can learn on a small board and strapless - I may misread you, but it seems you are asking because you havent got a clue besides reading, and learning does not come as natural as for teenagers who "just do it"?
Sorry if I am wrong here...

You are making it as difficult for yourself as possible Andy, that is my point, using a small board and strapless.
Straps will be an injury risk indeed. Thus hook(s) can be the safe way if in doubt.
Yes, I agree smaller boards are easier strapless, than "bulky" boards - but IMO difficult to get going on this setup when you can not foil at all and learning.
There is so much timing to learn when waterstarting, and once up on the board, learning to taxi without foiling (as you have to for quite a long time) is also difficult with small boards.

Most ditch the straps on kitefoils quite soon, true, I did, and on wingfoils I havent used straps till later to explore the options, but dont like them so strapless again now.

8) Peter

andylc
Very Frequent Poster

Postby andylc » Mon May 16, 2022 3:52 pm

I have plenty of experience but the world of kitefoil is rather different and much more confusing, so am asking as many questions as possible. As I said I plan to try both strapless and strapped and see how it goes. I’m sure I am expecting it to be easier than it is, so I’m quite prepared for that. I think my kite skills are pretty good so hopefully that will help. We shall see!
Simple enough to get a bigger board which is why I was considering the Levitaz Match, which is 20cm longer (144cm)and touts itself as a beginner board. The foil is hopefully going to be an ideal one to learn on.
It’ll be another 10 years before I’m anything but a weekend warrior so certainly not expecting to become an expert.

Return to “Hydrofoil”