Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Hydrofoils: purchase decision aspects

Postby rnelias » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:31 pm

What do you usually look for when choosing your hydrofoil? In other words... what aspect makes your decision?

Brand?
Reviews?
Price?
Support?
Characteristics (aspect ratio, weight, size)?
Quality/durability?

It's not a market survey and I'm not planning to produce neither sell hydrofoils. :D I just find interesting because we have a huuuuuuuuuuuge range of options ranging from dirty cheap DIY to the super-expensive "high-end-space-X-carbon-grade" ones :lol: . Cheap or expensive, for the average Joe, any choice will do the same magic: lift us from the water and allowing to ride in lighter winds. I'm sure folks racing will take advantage from modern and sophisticated options on the market but... for the freerider... I don't know...

I've learned hydrofoil with a cheap plane, made by a board's shaper, possibly a clone from some well known wing's profile (remembers Onda 633). Mast was bought by length like you buy a regular water pipe or other raw material on home depot :D . It worked very well until I decided to go smaller/faster and changed everything to a hydrofoil with some pedigree. To be honest... besides the industrial quality finish, it works as expected but nothing special.

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Re: Hydrofoils: purchase decision aspects

Postby tkaraszewski » Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:48 pm

I am waiting on delivery of a Levitaz R5. The only other foil I considered getting instead was a Chubanga V3. The main factors that influenced that decision were the ability to remove the tail for travel on the R5, the fact that there wasn't a 10-week wait for delivery of an R5, and the fact that, despite the Chubanga having the reputation as being the more user-friendly of the two, many events are being won on the R5.

The Chubanga may be more suited to me as a relatively low-level racer and more similar to my current Mike's Lab Bullet 3, but the R5 seems at least as fast and the one-piece gliders are a pain to travel with.

For wingfoils, which I'm not racing, I guess the criteria is different.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post:
rnelias (Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:52 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

tmcfarla
Frequent Poster

Postby tmcfarla » Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:47 pm

1.) characteristics- decide what you want to do- cruising around in light wind? Racing? Also want to use with prone surfboard? Those would be dramatically different foils and one can’t do it all
2.) brand- with a hydrofoil, testing and refinement are really important to the final product. I would stick to the big names unless you can demo first.
3.) brand ecosystem- once you have selected a hydrofoil, it is a lot cheaper to buy wings than an new foil, so consider what you would likely look for in your second, third wings, should you decide to get more in the future.
4.) ease of assembly/disassembly - this really depends on your car and home storage space. If you have to take the whole foil apart at the end of each session, get something that goes together easily. If you don’t need to take it apart each session, don’t worry about this too much
5.) weight- if you have a long walk to the beach, be realistic about what you can comfortably carry. Doesn’t make much difference when riding, but a heavy foil on a long lever arm sucks to carry for distance.
6.) material. I’ve had bad luck with Aluminum fuselages bending, so I stick with carbon now. I have run my carbon Lift foils into (muddy) ground countless times without any problems. Depending on where you ride, this may or may not be relevant.

I am happy with my Lift foils, but there are a number of good brands out there. People seem to like Moses, axis, Armstrong, though I’ve never tried them.
These users thanked the author tmcfarla for the post:
rnelias (Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:02 pm)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Wed Jun 01, 2022 8:35 pm

I have a friend who has a self build foil from wood and home depot stuff too, he's much better than I am. So I'm not too worried about brands and image, for me price and function and interchangeable wings and stabs was the most important.

So I went with Gong, and still like my setup. I ride at a surfshop that has lots of demo stuff, so I've tried foils 4 times the price of mine but besides weight I'm not unhappy with my cheap setup.

Some other stuff might ride marginally better, but I'd rather spend the money on more hours on the water (gas and travel).
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
rnelias (Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:02 pm)

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:01 pm

tmcfarla wrote:
Wed Jun 01, 2022 7:47 pm
1.) characteristics- decide what you want to do- cruising around in light wind? Racing? Also want to use with prone surfboard? Those would be dramatically different foils and one can’t do it all
2.) brand- with a hydrofoil, testing and refinement are really important to the final product. I would stick to the big names unless you can demo first.
3.) brand ecosystem- once you have selected a hydrofoil, it is a lot cheaper to buy wings than an new foil, so consider what you would likely look for in your second, third wings, should you decide to get more in the future.
4.) ease of assembly/disassembly - this really depends on your car and home storage space. If you have to take the whole foil apart at the end of each session, get something that goes together easily. If you don’t need to take it apart each session, don’t worry about this too much
5.) weight- if you have a long walk to the beach, be realistic about what you can comfortably carry. Doesn’t make much difference when riding, but a heavy foil on a long lever arm sucks to carry for distance.
6.) material. I’ve had bad luck with Aluminum fuselages bending, so I stick with carbon now. I have run my carbon Lift foils into (muddy) ground countless times without any problems. Depending on where you ride, this may or may not be relevant.

I am happy with my Lift foils, but there are a number of good brands out there. People seem to like Moses, axis, Armstrong, though I’ve never tried them.
good points and I regret for not paying enough attention to #3 when got a 2018 F-One foil. I like my set very much and F1 do offer some options of wings and stabs, however, they've changed everything in the previous two generations and it's not worth the money to make parts match with each other (when possible). Moreover, I'd have no guarantees that they will not change everything again in the next years, thus, I'm not planning to get a foil from this brand anymore. In this point, I'd say Moses/Sabfoil seems unbeatable and, besides the high price (at least for my pocket), it worth the investment. I don't know how Axis and Armstrong deal with this subject but, even other brands, like Slingshot, follow Moses system.

Regarding material, a friend has told me that I should stick to aluminum masts as I usually ride in an urban bay with some floating trash that would damage a carbon mast frequently. In fact, my aluminum mast already have a collection of dents due to impact with trash. As I don't jump (yet), aluminum fuselage is holding well :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Wed Jun 01, 2022 9:14 pm

I worship aesthetic and engineering design the highest.

And keeping it simple so few but perfect freeride/wave wings for us users.

Besides lightweight carbon and superclean (no screws sticking out anywhere).

And most important, only one max two screws when you dissasemble.

Price doesnt matter for me if I get the best, as I know what I want, and no real evolution anymore, like in the earlier years.
Hydrofoils last forever almost, so price is no issue really - when you are determined.

Wingfoil was just opposite for me (still is), as here things change fast, and lots of new (foil)wings appearing - so low cost buy and try many, is key here for me.
Will most likely change later, when I know what I want, and evolution has settled or at least superslow.

8) Peter

martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer

Postby martrench » Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:43 am

I went with Axis since a lot of local riders have switched over to them. Being able borrow/try out different parts (all interchangeable) is great.

Also - I contacted Axis several times for recommendations via email and they were super quick in responding.

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:42 am

Trust.
I have to believe that I can Trust------

The brand will deliver in all aspects, and that list is endless,quality, performance, availability of parts, back up, innovation,choice, dealer network, resale values and desirability, car boot wow! that great eye appeal feeling when you get to the beach and open your car boot to reveal your kit,
not forgetting trusted dealers, brick shops with real stock you can call on,part exchange deals,quick next day delivery, sometimes even demo before you buy, loyal customer discounts,

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis

Postby Axis1050 » Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:22 am

I have all of that for my total requirements