A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot
Brand Affiliation: None

tacking with foilkite - Hyperlink collapses

Postby wavy navy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:43 am

Hi, I am new to foilkites (Hyperlink 9sqm). I am quite good at tacking strapless foilboard. With inflatables I always sheet out completely at a certain point. When I do this with the hyperlink it collapses and falls from the sky. I understand that foilkites are different. What should I do while tacking to take care of the foilkite? Never sheet out completely a foilkite?

I tried this in very light wind.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: tacking wth foilkite - Hyperlink collapses

Postby leeuwen » Sun Jun 05, 2022 11:09 am

Never had anything like that even when I was a newbie with the foilkite and tacks in sub 10 knots and I did all kinds of stupid things trying to figure out how to do tacks.
I am not a foilkite expert but I would *guess* something is wrong with that kite / bridle.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:26 pm

wavy navy wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 10:43 am
Hi, I am new to foilkites (Hyperlink 9sqm). I am quite good at tacking strapless foilboard. With inflatables I always sheet out completely at a certain point. When I do this with the hyperlink it collapses and falls from the sky. I understand that foilkites are different. What should I do while tacking to take care of the foilkite? Never sheet out completely a foilkite?

I tried this in very light wind.
The Hyperlink should not be collapsing when you are sheetin out fully.

Did you buy it second hand or is it new? If it is new, take it back to the dealer. If it is second hand, do a speed system check.

--
Gunnar

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:30 pm

I've owned the hyperlink V1 9m and it's a stable kite, not prone to frontstalling. But if you have a large depower cord and sheet out fully on a tack it could overfly and stall ofcourse. See if this also happens when stationary on the beach (and be careful), trim the kite properly and use a stopper on the depower to prevent this.

gmb13
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Local Beach: Flag Beach, Fuerteventura
Style: Everything
Gear: Indiana, Sailmon
Brand Affiliation: Indiana, Sailmon

Postby gmb13 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 1:07 pm

flying doctor wrote:
Sun Jun 05, 2022 12:30 pm
I've owned the hyperlink V1 9m and it's a stable kite, not prone to frontstalling. But if you have a large depower cord and sheet out fully on a tack it could overfly and stall ofcourse. See if this also happens when stationary on the beach (and be careful), trim the kite properly and use a stopper on the depower to prevent this.
Even with a super long depower throw, it should not front stall. I used to fly mine on 80cm depower throw. If the speed system is as it should be and the birdle is good, then there should be almost no way of front stalling the kite.

--
Gunnar
Last edited by gmb13 on Sun Jun 05, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wavy navy
Medium Poster
Style: foil/wave
Gear: Slingshot

Re: tacking with foilkite - Hyperlink collapses

Postby wavy navy » Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:06 pm

It's completely new. Maybe it happend only because because of bad luck. And it was ultra light wind. Thanks to your replies.

luke-warmwater
Medium Poster
Been thanked: 0

Re: tacking with foilkite - Hyperlink collapses

Postby luke-warmwater » Sun Jun 05, 2022 6:30 pm

I've never had this problem with the Hyperlink and I tack all the time. I've had a Hyperlink V2 for just over a year and find it to be the best-behaved of all the foil kites I've used. It doesnt have the same top end performance as some of the higher-aspect foil kites but it makes up for it by being so easy and forgiving to use. For tacking and gybing and 360's etc its super-simple to ride with. Maybe you need to check your lines. Standing in shallow water, I can put the kite at 12 and let go of the bar (be careful) and it just sits there above my head without any drama. I'm using an Ozone V4 Contact bar.

Return to “Hydrofoil”