Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: help with turns

Postby rnelias » Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:40 pm

glfmkg wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 6:52 pm
Wow I really love that camera angle!, you can really see your footwork! Well done! Man looks like you have mastered even in bigger waves here!

Yes the two German shepherds are mine and they constantly look for me when I'm in the water! they never stop lol, they don't rest until I'm back on shore :-)

What mount are you using for your video? Also how do you add the course and speed, etc?

Cheers and thanks for sharing!
G.
This day the wind was about 18k and I was really overpowered on my Boxer 9m. Note that I keep the kite high all the time.

The camera is an Insta360 Go2 mounted in the center struct of the kite using a 3D printed mount.

Here's the model: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5560602

Nothing crazy. Just a TPU base held with a pair of velcro straps. I've already used the same mount with a Hero10 and it works just fine.

Data overlay is done using Garmin Virb software: https://www8.garmin.com/support/downloa ... sp?id=6591

GPS data collected using Garmin Fenix 6S but any watch or phone that can export GPS data can be used. Virb renders mp4 and gpx files
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:
glfmkg (Tue Oct 11, 2022 9:46 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Oct 13, 2022 11:41 am

rnelias wrote:
Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:57 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
Tue Oct 04, 2022 11:56 am
I gave up being ambidextrous and went with getting good enough on my strong side.

It's weird -- I can do it on a surfboard so easily I struggle to remember which was is natural for me... but poorly on a TT and almost not at all on a foil :o
if you force, your brain will learn somehow... I'm still improving to switch foot on my weak stance and it's working (I'm regular).
Yeah, but I could spend time forcing myself to do that or... just ride and have a great time for the time I've got available. I'm not seeing any downside to not learning the switch, and I'd rather learn things like toe to heel tack first :D

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:35 pm

For me it automatically came with time.
I also first focused mostly on learning new things for my good side and ignored the weak side.
At some point I mostly stopped riding toeside because footswitch is now 100% success rate and it’s more comfy to ride regular compared to toeside.
And now I want to be able to properly tack from my weak side (I am at 50-50 succes rate now) because always jibing from that position gets boring.
Basically the skills on my weak side lag by about a year.

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:57 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 12:35 pm
For me it automatically came with time.
I also first focused mostly on learning new things for my good side and ignored the weak side.
At some point I mostly stopped riding toeside because footswitch is now 100% success rate and it’s more comfy to ride regular compared to toeside.
And now I want to be able to properly tack from my weak side (I am at 50-50 succes rate now) because always jibing from that position gets boring.
Basically the skills on my weak side lag by about a year.
How many sessions did it take your to foot switch? I'm at the stage now and i want to keep my expectations real lol

Thank you
G

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:02 pm

glfmkg wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 2:57 pm
How many sessions did it take your to foot switch? I'm at the stage now and i want to keep my expectations real lol
Longer then I dare to admit.
For contexts:
2 version I can do 100% now, on my strong side
1 version 50%, weak side from toe to heel, usually doing this a couple of times each session now to slowly get better at them
1 version never tried: weak side heel to toe

I would say it a lot depends on how much time you invest and how easy your board and conditions are.
The easiest one on strong side: while taxi-ing in easy conditions did not take that long but getting really to the point to doing them 100% while not touching the water no matter the kite or conditions took a LOT of sessions.
But its quite different if you try 20-ish times (what I did most of the time) or if you just do 200 of them in a session.
Do note I am absolutely no natural at this, I am pretty long (1,90cm) so my centre of gravity is high and I consider myself rather clumsy at (board) sports in general.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
glfmkg (Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:53 pm)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 pm

Not sure I understand the terms here...

When you say from toe to heel, I assume you mean you jibe/carve from heel to toeside first, and then switch feet on the new tack (or on the way out of the jibe as many of us do) from toe to heel.

But when you say from heel to toe, what does that mean?
Switching feet before the carve, from heel to toe, and then carving?
Or?

8) Peter

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:33 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:22 pm
Not sure I understand the terms here...

When you say from toe to heel, I assume you mean you jibe/carve from heel to toeside first, and then switch feet on the new tack (or on the way out of the jibe as many of us do) from toe to heel.

But when you say from heel to toe, what does that mean?
Switching feet before the carve, from heel to toe, and then carving?
Or?

8) Peter
my understanding is that you have 2 version for each side/stance (thus, 4 possible combinations)

A. Regular stance

1). switch first (heel > toe) then gybe
2). gybe first then switch (toe > heel)

B. Goofy stance

1). switch first (heel > toe) then gybe
2). gybe first then switch (toe > heel)

Any rider can "survive" just gybing without making foot switches but, of course, you'll always have to ride a leg in the (uncortable and less efficient) toe side.

Other riders will learn just the more natural combination. I'm regular, thus, It's easier for me A1 and B2 but I've forced myself to learn all combinations and, now, I always switch before the gybe (A1 and B1).
These users thanked the author rnelias for the post:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 pm

glfmkg wrote:

When I first started foiling, I decided I wanted to try my best to be completely ambidextrous, so I worked on my weaker side at the expense of developing my stronger side quicker. It took me about a year to be able to do flying foot switches from heel side to toe side from both stances (regular and goofy) with a 100% success rate, a little bit longer to get toe side to heel side foot switches. I don't know how many sessions it took, but I would guess I average between 2-3 sessions per week? Prior to foiling, I had no experience with a directional board, so the foot switch was completely new to me. I learned on the surface first with a larger board (5 feet or so) and then took those skills flying. I don't remember how long it took me to get surface foot switches consistently--and a lot of that would depend on the sea state anyway--but I would guess maybe 6-8 months or so.

I'm not particularly talented, so your mileage may vary.

I can do all the basic maneuvers equally regular or goofy and I can't really tell a difference in normal riding, but the one thing I will never be as good at goofy is riding waves. I try it when we have wind from the left, which happens in the winter, but I will never be able to turn as quickly riding goofy. It is what it is.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:55 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 4:02 pm
glfmkg wrote:
Longer then I dare to admit.
For contexts:
2 version I can do 100% now, on my strong side
1 version 50%, weak side from toe to heel, usually doing this a couple of times each session now to slowly get better at them
1 version never tried: weak side heel to toe

I would say it a lot depends on how much time you invest and how easy your board and conditions are.
The easiest one on strong side: while taxi-ing in easy conditions did not take that long but getting really to the point to doing them 100% while not touching the water no matter the kite or conditions took a LOT of sessions.
But its quite different if you try 20-ish times (what I did most of the time) or if you just do 200 of them in a session.
Do note I am absolutely no natural at this, I am pretty long (1,90cm) so my centre of gravity is high and I consider myself rather clumsy at (board) sports in general.
Thank you very much for this. I'm 1,93cm so I feel you! I will give myself a one year goal for this. I'm not afraid to do 200 foot switches a session - I guess the more than try the quicker it will come :-)

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Squamish, BC
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144

Postby glfmkg » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:59 pm

junebug wrote:
Thu Oct 13, 2022 6:41 pm
glfmkg wrote:

When I first started foiling, I decided I wanted to try my best to be completely ambidextrous, so I worked on my weaker side at the expense of developing my stronger side quicker. It took me about a year to be able to do flying foot switches from heel side to toe side from both stances (regular and goofy) with a 100% success rate, a little bit longer to get toe side to heel side foot switches. I don't know how many sessions it took, but I would guess I average between 2-3 sessions per week? Prior to foiling, I had no experience with a directional board, so the foot switch was completely new to me. I learned on the surface first with a larger board (5 feet or so) and then took those skills flying. I don't remember how long it took me to get surface foot switches consistently--and a lot of that would depend on the sea state anyway--but I would guess maybe 6-8 months or so.

I'm not particularly talented, so your mileage may vary.

I can do all the basic maneuvers equally regular or goofy and I can't really tell a difference in normal riding, but the one thing I will never be as good at goofy is riding waves. I try it when we have wind from the left, which happens in the winter, but I will never be able to turn as quickly riding goofy. It is what it is.
wow interesting that you find it easier to switch from heel side to toe side. I would have guessed that it would be easier to switch from toe side to heel side - I have not even attempted yet to try heel side to toe side, I will now to see if it easier for me :-)

Thank you!
G.

Return to “Hydrofoil”