Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Charles Brodel Is The Official Qatar Airways GKA Big Air Hydrofoil World Champion

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Charles Brodel Is The Official Qatar Airways GKA Big Air Hydrofoil World Champion

Postby Toby » Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:45 pm

GKA News;

gka.jpg

1st Charles Brodel (FRA) - 2nd Jamie Overbeek (NLD) 3rd Maxime Chabloz (SUI) 4th Alex Soto (DOM)

Sunday afternoon saw the Hydrofoil competition kick the action off at the Qatar Airways GKA Big Air World Championships in fine style at Bibo Beach on day six of this 16 day waiting period.

Hydrofoil kiteboarding is the fastest growing discipline in the sport at the moment and the dynamic efficiency of the equipment means that most recreational riders would find even 20 knots of wind and above quite challenging conditions. A strong 25 knot Poniente wind powered these world championship contenders for an incredible show all Sunday afternoon.

BLASTING TO THE WIN

This year's biggest sensation in powerful, radical, big air hydrofoil kiteboarding held his nerve and put on an exciting performance that balanced powerful kiteloops with pure airstyle throughout, proving his rating as the rider's favourite to win was valid.

In the final he came through with a healthy four point lead over Dutch high flyer Jamie Overbeek, who himself had an incredible day. In round three, Overbeek nailed his intentions to the mast with a 10 point score from the judges for an incredible boogie loop (yes, we're seeing those in foiling now!), but then caught one of Tarifa's magic thermal 'bubbles' and rode out an incredibly long hangtime with ease.

One of the sporting world's emerging great all-rounders, Maxime Chabloz (Freeride Ski World Champion, GKA Kite World Tour Vice World Champion 2021 & GWA Wingfoil World Tour contender) finished third with Alex Soto from the Dominican Republic in 4th.

2ND: JAMIE OVERBEEK (NLD)

16-year-old Jamie Overbeek from Holland put on a stellar performance, landing highly impressive doobie loops! Nevertheless, he could not match Charles's consistency and technical ability in the final.

Jamie Overbeek sending his signature Doobie Loop

3RD: MAXIME CHABLOZ (SUI)

This was Maxime's second time competing in a hydrofoil competition on the world tour and he pushed hard, managing to land an impressive dangle pass in the semi final and mini final.

Maxime was very pleased with his third position overall as this is just one of several disciplines that he competes in, and is certainly not his main priority, yet he still managed to end up on the podium!

"Yeah, it ended up being a really fun day. I didn't think it would be this good looking at the conditions this morning. When the wind hits 20 knots, I'd usually grab my twin-tip and go freestyle, but the event today was so much fun."

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Re: Charles Brodel Is The Official Qatar Airways GKA Big Air Hydrofoil World Champion

Postby evan » Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 am

Why were there only 7 competing? Huge props for Charles and Jamie doing all kinds of loop variations on a foil, but they were so far ahead of the rest that I was surprised to not see more big air riders competing. I know there are more riders with a decent level around on the foil!

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Re: Charles Brodel Is The Official Qatar Airways GKA Big Air Hydrofoil World Champion

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:41 pm

Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil

Postby Toby » Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 am
Why were there only 7 competing? Huge props for Charles and Jamie doing all kinds of loop variations on a foil, but they were so far ahead of the rest that I was surprised to not see more big air riders competing. I know there are more riders with a decent level around on the foil!
there are. I also wonder why they didn't compete, it was an official World Championship!

juandesooka
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Sooke, BC, Canada
Style: Canada's Kai Lenny (in my mind)
Gear: Ocean Rodeo wings&kites / GoFoil
Brand Affiliation: Open to offers

Postby juandesooka » Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:06 pm

Toby wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 pm
evan wrote:
Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:32 am
there are. I also wonder why they didn't compete, it was an official World Championship!
"Hydrofoil kiteboarding is the fastest growing discipline in the sport at the moment" ... was this written in 2015? :roll:
From what I can see, winging has gutted kite foiling. Locally 90% of kite foilers have switched over. Kiting is still happening, but now it's mainly back to twintip jumpers and surfboard lip schwacking.
Even when kite foiling was popular, airs were only done by only a sliver of the riders.
Probably somewhat different story in Europe ... but I still call BS on that opening statement.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Oldman_Dave » Thu Jun 30, 2022 6:12 am

There's a 30 page thread which gave that opinion a good airing.
This is not the place.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2407710

Return to “Hydrofoil”