Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Low volume/twin tip construction boards

Postby Floating around » Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:34 pm

Hi All,

I’m looking at purchasing a slightly larger board, something around the 130 length. Have been riding a relatively high volume groove skate, thought it was a 120cm but just measured it and it’s actually a 110cm! I have got hooked on foot straps despite learning strapless and would like to go back to it! Was thinking to go for a low volume twin tip style board similar to the Nobel I learned on for easer strapless starts, easer travel and robustness. Have found that crazy fly do 3 models, although only one is 130. Ozone do a 125. Any others out there?
130cm length is primarily to assist with lighter wind days as I recently had some difficulties getting up to takeoff/above water speed on my 110. Although with some practice I could get over this.
Thanks.

SENDIT!
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: Okaloosa Island
Favorite Beaches: In no particular order; Kailua Beach, Oahu; Lake Nitinaht, BC; OBX
Gear: Ocean Rodeo Flite 17 Aluula, North Reach 12, Ocean Rodeo Rise 10, Reach 9, Prodigy 7, Litewave Carbon Wing 165, Ocean Rodeo Mako 150, Poptart 139, Litewave Carbon Kick S 139, North Scoop/Sonar Surf Foil
Brand Affiliation: Mojo Actionsports

Re: Low volume/twin tip construction boards.

Postby SENDIT! » Thu Jun 30, 2022 9:08 pm

image.jpg
Take a look at the North Sense 135. Pretty forgiving of touchdowns and long/wide enough to help when riding underpowered.

GregK
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Comox, BC
CANADA
Style: Average
Gear: Lift V2 Surf & HA wingsets
Ocean Rodeo kites & wings
Brand Affiliation: started Comox Kite Repair

Postby GregK » Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:39 pm

Might also want to consider sticking with the groove skate and instead put on a bigger front wing. Recent medium and high-aspect front wing designs can deliver tons of light-air fun.

Da Yoda
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Style: Strapless Freestyle, Wave, Freeride
Gear: Handmade Surfboards

Postby Da Yoda » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:26 am

Chill dude 😆
130cm and super low volume
https://www.crazyflykites.com/boards/chill
The other models have smaller sizings

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Low volume/twin tip construction boards

Postby purdyd » Fri Jul 01, 2022 2:41 am

Axis makes a try series and they are a bit thicker 25mm which allows for a an adjustable track which can be an advantage especially for straps.

I rode the tray 94 which is relatively easy to start because it it wide.

I have a friend with the 125 and he really likes it. Very forgiving board to start.

https://axisfoils.com/collections/kite-foil-boards

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:48 am

Floating around wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 8:34 pm
easer strapless starts, easer travel and robustness.
130cm length is primarily to assist with lighter wind days as I recently
As a rider doing 95% strapless I don't really see the benefits.
For what it is worth: I have had no real issues whatsover (learning) with a volume board and strapless.
It might be a litle bit harder depending on your foil setup but with a high volume wing and carbon mast like the 633 it just stays parked on its side.
With the 679 it will slowly sink, still super easy once you get the technique, which I prefer over staying on its side and not coming downwind after a crash.
Last but not least: I would recommend learning with a single front foot hook.
This is a good way to progress into strapless and gives you enough control with your feet to keep the board on its side for the learning sessions and a bit of support while riding.
You probably get good enough at it in a few sessions, not really something to get a new board for.
Riding without support from straps also takes some getting used to but that will be the same regardless of the board type (again foothook helps for intermediate feeling).

Regarding easysier travel: I would argue that the smaller/lighter board will be easier and the volume isn't super relevant while outer dimensions and weight are.
Robustness: be carefull what you get, no carbon (or it would be same/fragile as your current board in regards to handling) so it will be heavier. And even a fiber board you would pack it with as much foam as you can regardless if you are taking a plane anyway.

I also wonder if a 130cm board with low volume will have better low wind performance then a +- 15L short board.
I don't think it will to be honest.

So all in all I am not sure how much of a usefull upgrade it would really be. It will probably be heavier and more annoying to cary / put in the car due to its size.
IMHO: just get a foot hook

Floating around
Medium Poster
Weight: 82kg
Favorite Beaches: Lake Garda
Style: Lawn mower
Gear: Nobile infinity foil
Gong strutless
Flysurfer Peak 4
Groove Skate
Kauper Falcon
SAB foil

Postby Floating around » Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:47 am

Thanks for all the suggestions so far, lots to think about.

I guess this all started from 2 lovely swims I had recently. Other foilers on larger boards (more skilled as well) were up and going and I was struggling to get the board to surface. A couple of knots more wind and all would have been ok. Or possibly a slightly bigger board.
Going back to strapless is mainly due to getting my foot/ankle badly twisted in a crash.
As one of you mentioned a bigger foil might also be a good option. Unfortunately I don’t think I have to many choices with my current setup. Have a sab 695 wing on the kite Fuslage, not many bigger wings fit on this fuselage and I’m not interested in upgrading to the new kraken system.

Kitehume
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 65kg
Local Beach: Lake Hume, Australia.
Favorite Beaches: Corona Beach
Isolation Bay
Gear: Oceanrodeo Rise Aluula 12m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 10m
Oceanrodeo Roam Aluula 7m
Oceanrodeo flite 10m
Ocean rodeo flite 14.5m
Shinn king gee 146x46
Shinn monk gold 135x42
Shinn Sunburner 112cm
Armstrong Hs1050

Postby Kitehume » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:00 pm

I use a Shinn Jackson 112cm. They also make it in 128cm and 140cm.
I ride strapless. It sits deep in the water when on its side. So makes strapless water starts very easy.
Worth a look at too.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Fri Jul 01, 2022 12:48 pm

GregK wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 11:39 pm
Might also want to consider sticking with the groove skate and instead put on a bigger front wing. Recent medium and high-aspect front wing designs can deliver tons of light-air fun.
I agree with that! I have been downsizing my board it's much more fun to ride a small board, with a bigger wing you get up right away. The problem with those low volume board is that sometime they barely float the foil is almost sinking and doesn't go downwind. This happens with my Cabrinha Special Agent 105 that's why I don't use it much. It's nice for travelling small and light and almost indestructible. The Groove is a great board!

Anyway Shinn, Cabrinha and North make some around that size you are looking for.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Jul 02, 2022 6:40 am

I disagree, there is no substitute for a bit longer board when light winds for a given kite.

Everything gets easier and lowend better.

Also, with straps you probably don't want a huge slow foil wing, and even if, it won't make up for lost length in lulls or low wind.

I have super thin boards different lengths and different wings, and board size matters :thumb:

But yes, some want to ride the smallest pocket boards and nothing else, just different choices :D

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
Floating around (Sat Jul 02, 2022 9:35 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”