Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why am I breaching so much on my new foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Re: Why am I breaching so much on my new foil?

Postby Trent hink » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:40 pm

Maybe you are just using too small of a kite.

It is true that one and no strut kites work best at the lower end of their wind range, but maybe you are just expecting too much with too little.

I just now realized that most others have suggested the opposite.

I have seen a wide variety of kite-foilers having fun on a wide variety of equipment.

The most important thing is to feel comfortable with the kite you are using.

I prefer to use the smallest kite that will let me top out the speed on my (relatively very slow) 633 surf foil.

I know other riders who get all their thrills from going slow enough to hold down a big kite, and one of my friends is totally stoked about riding his 12 or 15 meter lei (on a faster wing) when I think I am well powered on my 4 or 5 meter Peak 4.

In the end, it all comes down to seeking out conditions where you feel comfortable, and maybe later on, think about what might be possible

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby airsail » Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:37 pm

kct wrote:
Sat Jul 02, 2022 11:31 pm
I've been prone foiling and occasionally kite foiling on a Cloud IX s24 for a few months. I am in the stage of kiting where I can get going and gybe half the time but foot switching is way beyond me.

Recently I got an Axis setup: 890 wing, 420 tail, "crazy short" fuse. It's so great for prone but when I try to kite on it I can barely ride without breaching. What's going on?

The new setup has very controlled lift when I prone, so maybe it's the fuse length? Or maybe there's just so much power when kiting that the wing behaves different
Holy shit, I just googled the Axis 890, 1290sqcm. I’m an experienced kitefoiler and no chance I would try to kitefoil that. In high aspect about 900 sqcm is the largest I would go and even then I find high aspect not great for kitefoil. It will be a real bitch to get going on, and is you do get going it will be hard to control.
Try a medium aspect around the 800-1000sqcm, it won’t lift as violently and be much nicer to ride.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Mon Jul 11, 2022 12:31 pm

I was eating shit and thinking I was pulling air under the foil the last two sessions. Turns out the screws on the front wing were loose and the whole thing has lateral movement. As soon as I hit a bit of turbulent water, my face was hitting the water every damn time. :rollgrin:

So maybe check your screws and your common sense every once in a while too..

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:49 pm

I was out yesterday on my Axis 930 wing, 380 tail (same series as 420) crazy short fuse, tray 94 pocket board. It's my super light wind or "super lumpy ocean low speed stable" rig.

There's a whole bunch of theories here but the right answer is that there's nothing wrong with the gear, it's 100% technique. Different wings are easier or harder to balance the pitch on initial lift. I don't think kct's rig is particularly hard, just needs more experience.

kct: I find coming back to the big wing, I need to give it more respect. Can't push it around as much. That extends to the initial start. After the first power stroke/loop, if you're not up and away cleanly, don't rush the second power stroke/loop like you would on a smaller wing. The wing will glide you. Give it an extra few seconds to find it's mojo before adding more power.
These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
kct (Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

kct
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2039
Local Beach: Long Beach
Gear: Switchblade

Postby kct » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am

Here's a picture of the setup. Yeah it doesn't look like what the other foilers have but I'm pretty sure it's possible. I *sometimes* hit the waterstart and then I'm good but just that first half second pulling myself up bah! Needs to be just perfect
Attachments
PXL_20220616_192021399.jpg

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:14 am

Having never ridden anything as large/high aspect as this...
Is there a reason to even want to ride this with a kite except for the novelty? Especially when the original poster does have access to a different foil set.
Seems like it would be super slow to turn and is slow in a straight line and it is also hard to ride by the judge of this thread...
I could imagine it would be convenient if you travel by plane and only want to bring 1 piece of equipment but are there any other reasons to chose this over a foil designed for kiting?

Or, in other words, I wonder if the movie quote from Jurassic Park applies:
They were so preoccupied with whether or not they could that they didn't stop to think if they should. :D
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:09 am)

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:31 am

That is indeed quite a beast of a front wing.
I ride a gofoilgl140 which is 80cm span and 1080cm² and it's already at the very top end of what I'd ride for kiting. And I'm 95kg on low power peaks and it feels a bit overkill. Take off is quite critical indeed, and position of front foot when diving the kite is paramount. Lift comes fast and strong and won't tolerate incorrect foot placement. It's great on some regards, light wind, swell, stall speed, but it's actually harder to handle than sthg a bit smaller, even more so when juiced up.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Tue Jul 12, 2022 11:31 am

kct wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am
Here's a picture of the setup. Yeah it doesn't look like what the other foilers have but I'm pretty sure it's possible. I *sometimes* hit the waterstart and then I'm good but just that first half second pulling myself up bah! Needs to be just perfect
It looks similar to my setup.
Shim the stab and increase the plate angle.
Axis foils has a very funny way to take off (wehen kiting). It takes of in a semi stalled way, so it's very important you can keep the nose as low as possible. If you don't shim the plate the nose will submerge, unless you have a board wich plenty of rocker.

And for you who wonder why a such large wing. The glide on the swell. My art899 feels as agile as my old alpinefoil speed wing.
Here I'm using art899, 3.7m cloud, 82cm mast 2.2 degrees shim on stab, h14 board:

It's not a good footage, but the only I have for the moment.
These users thanked the author surfbird for the post (total 3):
Onda (Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:58 pm) • AndersP (Wed Jul 13, 2022 4:34 pm) • kct (Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 am)
Rating: 9.09%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:38 pm

kct wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:51 am
I've kitefoiled a selection of Axis foils up to 1020... the wider the wing and the higher the AR, the harder they are to water start IMO, and getting them set up on the board correctly is vital.

Last one I tried was the 899 and I struggled to start for what felt like an hour until I got my front foot so far forward my toes were hanging over the nose of the board :lol:

IIRC the Black fuselage is longer from the mast to the wing mounting point too IIRC so you gotta push it back even further. Can't do much more with that board, can you try another?
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
kct (Thu Jul 14, 2022 2:39 am)

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:59 pm

Hey surfbird, what an amazing video! Where is that?! And OMG, is that kite fast!

Return to “Hydrofoil”