Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Why am I breaching so much on my new foil?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Why am I breaching so much on my new foil?

Postby Oldman_Dave » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:59 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jul 12, 2022 7:14 am
Having never ridden anything as large/high aspect as this...
Is there a reason to even want to ride this with a kite except for the novelty?
Seems like it would be super slow to turn and is slow in a straight line and it is also hard to ride by the judge of this thread...
For me the reasons for choosing HPS930 are either when it's super light wind and I want a front wing that has a lot of lift and glide, while still going fast. Also when it's very difficult conditions (ie very lumpy ocean) and I want to be able to ride slow when I choose to without stalling, and I want less challenging more reliable gear as I'm being challenged enough by the conditions.

The larger wings aren't slow - I've clocked 22kts on the the 930 in 10kt gusts with a 10m foil kite. I don't call that slow, I call that great for light wind, particularly combined with the glide to get through lulls.

They also don't turn "super slow". They are different to turn and less chuckable from side to side, but still good for riding swell and give a satisfying carve. For example virtually every wing dinger on Axis gear is riding waves with this size wing, if you ever watch any of those vids some are carving pretty hard, it just takes a slightly different technique. They are also pretty breach resistant, and you can wave a wing tip in the air without drama.

As for hard to ride, no bigger wings are easier. The drama in this thread is about the very first initial lift out of the water, poster said if he can get up he's right after that.

surfbird
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Apelviken
Björlanda kile
Rossö
Favorite Beaches: Big Bay SA
Style: All
Gear: Naish Torch, Park.
Hadlow pro 138

Postby surfbird » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:02 pm

Onda wrote:
Wed Jul 13, 2022 2:59 pm
Hey surfbird, what an amazing video! Where is that?! And OMG, is that kite fast!
Haha thanks Onda,

It's nothern west coast of sweden. Probably the best swell in sweden, all for myself :-)
https://goo.gl/maps/yyjYSLuTqHnQ7Bo26

The kite is a 3.7m cloud brm. Use it when my 4m peak gets to big. In fact it has a much higher top end compared to the 4m peak. I would say it's one of the best high wind foiling kites I have. The 2.8m is to fast for me :-)

I will post another video when it's bigger :-) The ART899 has really made my spot fantastic.

Live2KITE
Frequent Poster

Postby Live2KITE » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:05 pm

When you look at your fuselage with the board upside down, does it have an angle or is it parallel to the ground?
Some boards have tail rocker, where the tracks are, and that puts your foil at a weird angle when the foil is under water. (It would rodeo every time you try to water start).
If this is the case with your board, then you should shim the rear screws of your plate, till your fuselage is parallel to the water level.

If this isn't the case, moving the foil as far back as possible on your tracks, would help with the initial take off. By looking at your board, you don't have much room to do that. (already at the end of the tracks).
So the other option would be to try the Advance black fuselage.

https://axisfoils.com/collections/black ... e-fuselage

It's effectively moving your foil 40mm ahead on the tracks, so it's as if your tracks gain 40mm more length towards the tail of your board.

I hope this makes sense. I love the HPS and ARTs for kiting. They are fast, smooth, turn well (with the ultrashort or crazyshort are so nimble) and the smaller Progressive rear wings. ( I use the 350).
I use the AXIS Tray 94 or 110 kite foil board.
These users thanked the author Live2KITE for the post:
Peter_Frank (Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:18 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

aniva
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2018
Local Beach: Southern Ontario, Canada
Style: Beginner, freeride foil
Gear: Sabfoil W799/S400/F663/M93KMS
RDB trigger board 120cm
Cabrinha Contra 1S 5, 7, 9 and 11m
Flysurfer Soul2 12m

Postby aniva » Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:48 pm

airsail wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Holy shit, I just googled the Axis 890, 1290sqcm. I’m an experienced kitefoiler and no chance I would try to kitefoil that. In high aspect about 900 sqcm is the largest I would go and even then I find high aspect not great for kitefoil. It will be a real bitch to get going on, and is you do get going it will be hard to control.
Try a medium aspect around the 800-1000sqcm, it won’t lift as violently and be much nicer to ride.
Hi @airsail, I am just interested (as I am considering higher aspect for my next foil upgrade) why you considering high aspect (say above AR 6) is not great for kite foil?
Hi aspect is more stable and glides better and carves better - by design. The only problem with high aspect should be maneuverability ... but I am interested what's your take on it? What higher aspect wings you tried? What kites do you ride and wind conditions?

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:15 pm

aniva wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 5:48 pm
airsail wrote:
Sun Jul 10, 2022 9:37 pm

Holy shit, I just googled the Axis 890, 1290sqcm. I’m an experienced kitefoiler and no chance I would try to kitefoil that. In high aspect about 900 sqcm is the largest I would go and even then I find high aspect not great for kitefoil. It will be a real bitch to get going on, and is you do get going it will be hard to control.
Try a medium aspect around the 800-1000sqcm, it won’t lift as violently and be much nicer to ride.
Hi @airsail, I am just interested (as I am considering higher aspect for my next foil upgrade) why you considering high aspect (say above AR 6) is not great for kite foil?
Hi aspect is more stable and glides better and carves better - by design. The only problem with high aspect should be maneuverability ... but I am interested what's your take on it? What higher aspect wings you tried? What kites do you ride and wind conditions?
I’ve used the following in above 14knot winds.
Sabfoil W800, 840sqcm. Works well for kitefoil but I found it too fast for our swell, it kept outrunning my BRM Clouds and I had to change my line to maintain line tension. Maybe a Peak or Hybrid would work better. Great for flat water.
Naish HA914, 914sqcm. It works but only just ok, drawn out turns with a locked in feel. Gave me no confidence in trying a tack which I do regularly on other foils.
Naish HA1040, 1040sqcm. Tried it once, but only once, doesn’t work, not a nice ride at all.
Friends have used but I haven’t.
North SL930, 930sqcm. He says it’s too lifty, not a particularly nice ride. He is ordering the North HA850, hopefully that will work for him. He is a expert kitefoiler, 70kgs
Another friend tried a Phantasm PMT930, 930sqcm. he’s an intermediate kitefoiler but just couldn’t make it work for him, he’s 90kgs.

My take is don’t go above about 900sqcm. Pick a wing that is really thin, with thin tips that provide glide but little lift. Pair it with ultra light kites that sit deep in the wind window like a single skin.
Try before you buy is the answer, as previous in previous posts, some like HA foil, some don’t.
Last edited by airsail on Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:28 pm

I choose the opposite, never smaller than 1000 cm (average weight) and not too high AR, for kitefoil.

And double AR for wingfoil and thinner, area similar size.

8) Peter

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:47 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Apr 25, 2023 11:28 pm
I choose the opposite, never smaller than 1000 cm (average weight) and not too high AR, for kitefoil.

And double AR for wingfoil and thinner, area similar size.

8) Peter
Yeah this is what works for me too. But I enjoy flying tiny kites. Love being able to stay on foil at super slow speeds.

Return to “Hydrofoil”