Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

How difficult are the various foiling discplines?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: How difficult are the various foiling discplines?

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:57 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm
I do them all, here's my take from HARDEST to EASIEST:
1) Prone surf foiling: hardest by far, you have to catch the waves and make the pop-up. Because it requires waves you get limited practice compared to kite/wings.
2) SUP foiling: you still have to catch the waves but at least you are already standing!
3) Winging: you have to learn how to use a hand-wing
4) Kite foiling: By far the easiest as long as you are a decent kiter because you have consistent power source and can try over and over again until you learn.
Prone foiling I accept as probably the hardest (although I've never tried) because you have to time the pop-up while controlling the foil. SUP, wing foiling & wind foiling all have the advantage that you are standing on a (much larger) board already which allows for a more gradual take-off. The hard part in those 3 activities would seem to be dealing with choppy water before you get up on the foil.

From scratch, all of them would be very difficult, but surely kite foiling would be the most difficult ... probably next to impossible. You need to have good kite skills already. otherwise there is way too much going on at the same time. Learning "how to use a hand-wing" while learning to get up on foil is much easier than learning to kite while learning to get up on foil. I would vote for winging to be the easiest to learn - which partly accounts for its exploding popularity. It's quite realistic for someone with no prior experience to learn to wing foil ... the same couldn't be said for prone, wind or kite foiling (not sure about SUP foiling).

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Postby bragnouff » Mon Jul 18, 2022 10:18 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Mon Jul 18, 2022 9:04 pm
(...) from HARDEST to EASIEST:
3) Winging: you have to learn how to use a hand-wing
4) Kite foiling: By far the easiest as long as you are a decent kiter because you have consistent power source and can try over and over again until you learn.
learning to use a hand wing takes half an hour, whereas becoming proficient enough on a kite to be able to tackle kitefoiling is a matter of a handful of seasons. No way is kitefoiling easier than winging.

Arguably supfoiling is also harder than prone since it's much harder to keep balance and take off, than to do a lazy pop up. Or it's more demanding in terms of conditions, i.e. no chop at all. Whereas prone can allow a bit of messy sea state

I guess, whatever's your background will greatly influence that ranking. But for a complete newbie with zero experience in any kind of wind or water sports, wingfoiling is the easiest and most accessible. (also the least affordable)

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:50 pm

Yes, I was referring to people who already know how to fly a kite. Otherwise winging is definitely the easiest.

Regarding "windfoiling" ie foiling with a windsurfer - that sport is essentially obsolete!

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 19, 2022 7:08 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:50 pm
Yes, I was referring to people who already know how to fly a kite. Otherwise winging is definitely the easiest.

Regarding "windfoiling" ie foiling with a windsurfer - that sport is essentially obsolete!

Not obsolete here, and also an Olympic discipline for what it is worth.

It has its advantages in several aspects :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
windmaker (Thu Jul 21, 2022 4:02 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jul 21, 2022 2:54 am

RadDrDuke wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:50 pm

One of my two local spots has a crew of wind foilers. I am the only kite foiler. From observation, wind foiling seems to have most of the advantages (& disadvantages) of wing foiling, but wind foilers appear to be able to get going in less wind than wing foilers. This may reflect varying skill levels however.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:08 pm

Windfoil advantages and disadvantages IMO and experiences:

Starts earlier than wingfoil.
Goes better upwind and faster than wingfoil.
You can float, meaning you can always get ashore even in almost zero wind.
When too little wind to foil, you can cross big distances easy and relaxed.
Self rescue better than everything else.

So by a margin better than everything else for long distance trips :naughty:

Cons -
Starts later than lightwind kitefoil.
Can not turn in waves the same way as kite or wingfoils (when YOU can).
In a tad too light wind, you might stand totally parked, just like wingfoil.

8) Peter

Eltreato
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Acadia, 3rd Ave.
Favorite Beaches: Manzanita
Gear: old junk

Postby Eltreato » Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 pm

I started with kitefoiling before getting in to windfoiling and wingfoiling. I have tried wakefoiling too. Kitefoiling is definitely the hardest, as an an accomplished kiter I felt like it was like riding a unicycle and juggling, there's just so much going on with kite control. Windfoiling was a cinch after kitefoiling, coming from a windsurfing background. Wingfoiling was outrageously easy compared to kitefoiling as was wakefoiling.
These users thanked the author Eltreato for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Thu Jul 21, 2022 7:43 pm) • airsail (Thu Jul 21, 2022 9:13 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 3:12 am

Eltreato wrote:
Thu Jul 21, 2022 6:23 pm
I started with kitefoiling before getting in to windfoiling and wingfoiling. I have tried wakefoiling too. Kitefoiling is definitely the hardest, as an an accomplished kiter I felt like it was like riding a unicycle and juggling, there's just so much going on with kite control. Windfoiling was a cinch after kitefoiling, coming from a windsurfing background. Wingfoiling was outrageously easy compared to kitefoiling as was wakefoiling.
I have an old windsurfing buddy who has taken up wing foiling. He has a big board (around 135 litres). He has struggled to learn, although he is gradually making progress. I have suggested to him that he might want to try wind foiling, as that would allow him to get into foiling without having to deal with the unaccustomed aspects of handling the wing. Once used to the feel & control of the foil moving on to wing foiling ought to be easier. He has not taken that path, however.

Again ... I think the difficulty with learning to kite foil is that there is an abrupt moment when you have to get up on the foil - it's an all-or-nothing moment. And to make it more challenging, it's very counter intuitive to an experienced kite surfer, requiring you to keep your weight forward while you surge out of the water. It may be somewhat easier with modern, larger, lower aspect front wings than it was with smaller wings back in the day.

Return to “Hydrofoil”