Indulang
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Local Beach: Taiwan
Style: Just fooling around
Gear: Duotone Rebel

Foiling downwind at 10kts vs 13kts+

Postby Indulang » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:16 pm

I foiled with about 10kts wind today and really struggled going downwind. I was only aiming slightly downwind of crosswind (I’m guessing 10-30deg from crosswind). I was constantly losing line tension even though I was signing the kite. I had no problem keeping line tension while staying upwind.

After dealing with this for 20min I gave up and ended the session. The wind was such that there was little chance of relaunch even with my light Duotone Evo sls. This was the lightest wind I ever foiled in till date.

I was on a f-one ic6 v3 950 foil and I was riding an 11m Duotone Evo sls

I have no problem going downwind when the wind is over 12-13kts. I’m wondering what special techniques are involved in going downwind during light conditions. Kite loops?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foiling downwind at 10kts vs 13kts+

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 10, 2022 7:54 pm

I think you go too deep and too slow...

Dont bear so much downwind, and keep higher board speed, and you wont lose line tension.

Sinusing the kite is not a good idea - a sign of going too slow and too deep.

If you want to go deep, loop the kite two times one way, and two times the other way - and continue with this.

Will make you go really deep without losing line tension, but require some experience to find the point.

All in all I think it is just lack of time on the water, as you need to feel the critical point regarding downwind angle versus board speed versus kite speed.

Keep riding and you will learn how to eventually :thumb:

8) Peter

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 8:38 pm

The kite makes a big difference in this kind of wind if you have 10 knots and you are going downwind at at an angle but let's say 5 knots to the wind there isn't much wind left on the kite because you are running away from the wind. A kite that drifts very well and that is super light like a single strut, strutless or foil kite will be able to stay up there and handle this while keeping enough tension in the lines. A heavier freeride kite designed to go upwind will struggle. I haven't tried the EVO SLS but I don't think it's designed for ultimate drift in very light wind.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:48 am

Loop a lot

Foil
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 91kg
Local Beach: New Brighton near Liverpool. Open sea with big low tide deep lagoon
and regular at Rhosneigr and Newbrough on Anglesey
Favorite Beaches: New Brighton, Rhosneigr, Fleetwood, Newbrough, Blackrock sands
lake Como (Italy) El Medano
Style: kite foiler since 2017 Ttip since 2000
Gear: My rule to gear choice is "IF IT DONT BOOST ITS NO USE"
Groove Skates 110cm 2022 editions
kraken mast systems 103k and 93k.
Kraken fuse 703k
Duotone SLS Evo's -- 11mtr/9mtr/7mtr/6mtr/ 4mtr RRD.
Duotone 2022 click bars x2,my own custom made lines fitted,
(modified lines now available for the flite99 shod duotone bars)

Bar lines made up to any length in a choice of strengths, power lines, trim lines, pigtails, leader lines, bridal lines, elasticated lines, I make and fit them all, free fit and tune service,
quick turnaround,drop me a message, find me on messenger, Colin Moore.

Postby Foil » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:05 am

I have the Evo sls in 9mtr and 11mtr and standard evos in sizes 8mtr and below,
its great fun running deep off wind and yes its not easy to learn, but learning is fun and the rewards are huge once you nail it, its about being at one with the kite, being aware of the line tension and how to regain the tension very quickly to keep the kite constantly flying and generating power, the evo is a fantastically fast kite, loops are so quick and power so controllable, you need to practice and try to look where you are going and not look at the kite, just feel what the kite is transmitting back to you, its easier to keep going if you have learned to turn the board very quickly in the blink of an eye to snap round, if your kite lines go slack then all energy must go into keeping the kite up and spinning until power is back and pulling, its better to sink up to your chest than drop the kite, as then you can still get going again,
keep the kite dry and keep it moving, keep it spinning, keep a close watch downwind, look for helpful waves, develop as much speed as you can, even practice a little pumping if speed drops too much, and keep aware of anyone who might get too close and spoil your fun.
once mastered its great fun, but your lines suffer for sure so need looking at after many months of hard fast kite spinning and hard looping.
using a bar like the click bar which automatically unspins the centre lines back is very helpful.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:30 am

Yeah, looping is the ultimate tool in the box to keep speed at the kite (increasing apparant wind) and making sure the kite is down in the powerzone as much as possible.
Another option that is nice to have in your skillset (but not as good as loops) is having some stall dailed in on the bar and steering the kite fully in the power window (e.g. by looping it) and then keeping it in place by stalling it.
Offcourse stalling is a tight balancing act between sheeting the bar and downwind angle of the board, especially in low wind, so probably best to learn this on days that are a bit more forgiving and you can easily relaunch if needed.

Regarding gear: you should be a able to go downwind at 10 knots with a little bit of skill on most kites except maybe heavy 5 struts which will require a lot of skill.
As mentioned, lighter kites (evo SLS is not particularly light), and kites designed for drift (generally speaking: low aspect) are easier to go downwind on.
Probably not something you really need to switch to just to some general foiling around but if you aim to do a lot of downwind riding on your foil (e.g. chasing waves) you could consider getting something else.

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Mon Jul 11, 2022 8:11 am

grigorib wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 3:48 am
Loop a lot
Start looping with one loop. Then two loops in opposite direction and two in another direction. And again and again. :)

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am

Is it impossible with big freeride foils + tube kite to ride with speed and tension downwind like on small foils + big soft kites?

Looping and drifting sounds horribly ineffective in the ears of a racer where speed and keeping tension is key to riding faster than the wind downwind, where 10kn of wind one is already lit on a 18-23m.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:07 am

evan wrote:
Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:18 am
Is it impossible with big freeride foils + tube kite to ride with speed and tension downwind like on small foils + big soft kites?

Looping and drifting sounds horribly ineffective in the ears of a racer where speed and keeping tension is key to riding faster than the wind downwind, where 10kn of wind one is already lit on a 18-23m.

You are correct Evan.

As it is the fastest way I would say, keeping kite steady and going as fast as possible, as deep as possible, also with big wings and small kites.

Its just, being a freerider/waverider going downwind fast is often not the most fun way - whereas looping the kite and going as deep as possible, can be really fun and you can play in the small waves or windchop on your way downwind.

In real life we do both, indeed, but going deep and looping is a blast :rollgrin:

8) Peter

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Mon Jul 11, 2022 11:43 am

Ye it might sound ineffective, but for us mere mortals with inferior gear its the last tool. Not often the wind is so light that going downwind is hard, but then looping tube kite is the best way to keep speed and go downwind.
In very underpowered conditions it just feels you lose speed + tension immediately when going even a bit downwind. Need a bigger kite!

Return to “Hydrofoil”