Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Are monofoils the future of foiling?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Bertie
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0

Re: Are monofoils the future of foiling?

Postby Bertie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:17 pm

“Why are you reluctant to ride a monofoil? Too experimental? Happy with your existing ride? High aspect foils are your priority #1 re: new gear? Kite foiling is DOA in your books? “
I’m definitely in the market for a T1. My current ride is a Shinn Mega K. Which is relatively slow high lift turny wing. At 70kg I am quite quickly overpowered and I think I would benefit from a slightly faster wing which can take more power without being scary fast. Much of the joy of foiling for me is making carve turns and I think the T1 might suit me. But “might” is the key word. So much in kiting is reading reviews and trying to decide if something will work for you. I’m enjoying the Mega K but have nothing to compare it with apart from the basic Slingshot set up I learnt on.
I was intrigued by the Peak5, managed to get a demo, loved it and bought one. Not sure I was convinced enough to get one without trying first.
The point is it requires a leap of faith or better a demo to make a big investment like a new foil.
Sell me a T1 at good discount and I’ll share it around ;0)
Finally the current exchange rates are not helping!

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 pm

carving turns is something you can reach using smaller fuselage or flat and smaller stabs too.

That's the beauty of the standard airplane configuration. You just spend some bucks and you have an entire new riding feeling.

If T1 had an attractive price, maybe it would get more attention, however, it's practically the same price as a SAB's airplane (and Sabfoil is not cheap).

Triton could follow the Winging's hype and try to convince some folks there: why? Because Winging requires huge and heavy equipment and they usually ride slow and carvy wings. Maybe a more compact and simple foil would be a selling point for them.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:15 pm

rnelias wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:09 pm
carving turns is something you can reach using smaller fuselage or flat and smaller stabs too.

That's the beauty of the standard airplane configuration. You just spend some bucks and you have an entire new riding feeling.

If T1 had an attractive price, maybe it would get more attention, however, it's practically the same price as a SAB's airplane (and Sabfoil is not cheap).

Triton could follow the Winging's hype and try to convince some folks there: why? Because Winging requires huge and heavy equipment and they usually ride slow and carvy wings. Maybe a more compact and simple foil would be a selling point for them.

I am a bit confused now?

Carving (or driving) turns require some fuselage or stabs or fins (if not a hydrofoil)

Whereas the opposite is a loose board, which some like, others hate :wink:

8) Peter

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:18 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:15 pm
I am a bit confused now?

Carving (or driving) turns require some fuselage or stabs or fins (if not a hydrofoil)

Whereas the opposite is a loose board, which some like, others hate :wink:

8) Peter
whatever you need, I'm sure there would be a fuselage/stab configuration to suit you but if you just have a T1, you're stuck with what it has to offer...

lederhosen
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 80kg
Gear: Flysurfer Sonic4 12m
Kitech FRS 9m
Peak4 3m
Peak5 4m, 6m, 8m

Zeeko Spitfire Xlw, Xxlw
Eleveight Process 135

Postby lederhosen » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:39 pm

rnelias wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:18 pm

whatever you need, I'm sure there would be a fuselage/stab configuration to suit you but if you just have a T1, you're stuck with what it has to offer...
I bet more shapes and sizes coming from Triton and others. The concept seems to make sense and it also looks good. I remember a surfboard called hyptocrypto getting popular also because it looked good when being carried to the water.
Has anyone thought of making a T1 in white with a black line around it?

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:53 pm

Regarding point #1: safety

here's something interesting that I doubt it'll go mainstream too...

https://www.decathlon.fr/landing/surf-f ... l-securise

Olaian surf-foil. It costs just 590 USD/EUR the whole airplane including mast and base

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:26 pm

evan wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:23 am
leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:57 am

Compared to my 679 the T1 also seemed to need a little bit more power.
Exactly what I was wondering. The whole wing looks like it should have more drag compared to conventional hydrofoil.

I always thought that the ones riding stables did this because of the extra maneuverability and less drag. But this design looks like it adds more drag than a stabilizer ever can.

So what's the point of it then if it only gives a different feeling but isn't more efficient?
I have a T1. The point is that, because of its shape (look at the pics - see that bump by the leading edge), the T1 generates lift even at very low (or zero) angle of attack (AOA). I don’t have the numbers, but I suspect that a majority of the drag of the conventional foils comes from the AOA (plus the turbulence it creates) rather than the stab.

Longer story short, the T1 has less drag than conventional HFs. Try one and you’ll see

Also, the T1 is not stab-less: it’s just that the stab is built-in, and takes the form of a convex lower wing surface. This is what Delta Hydrofoil and North refer to as “reflex/ed foil”. Take that convex away, and you won’t be able to ride it anymore, or at least not easily.
Last edited by br44 on Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Postby ronnie » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:06 pm

br44 wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:26 pm
evan wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 5:23 am
leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jul 19, 2022 4:57 am

Compared to my 679 the T1 also seemed to need a little bit more power.
Exactly what I was wondering. The whole wing looks like it should have more drag compared to conventional hydrofoil.

I always thought that the ones riding stables did this because of the extra maneuverability and less drag. But this design looks like it adds more drag than a stabilizer ever can.

So what's the point of it then if it only gives a different feeling but isn't more efficient?
I have a T1. The point is that, because of its shape (look at the pics - see that bump by the leading edge), the T1 generates lift even at very low (or zero) angle of attack (AOA). I don’t have the numbers, but I suspect that a majority of the drag of the conventional foils comes from the AOA (plus the turbulence it creates) rather than the stab.

Longer story short, the T1 has less drag than conventional HFs. Try one and you’ll see
Oyvind talking about going monofoil and the drop in drag. Even he can't ride monofoil sitting down, but the Triton makes that doable.

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Tue Jul 19, 2022 6:41 pm

waiting on a demo before i have an opinion probably sept i can get one to try out

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 8:42 pm

Question is why still no any major foil brand released monowings? No Moses, levitaz and etc. Why? We need such wings in every major brand lineup!!!!!! Sabmoses please release monowing!!!!!!

Return to “Hydrofoil”