Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Toe side Tack basics

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 26, 2022 3:17 am

today I found out that, with my current bar/harness configuration, I can't pass the bar over my head. Anchoring point is too low (boarshort with rope slider) and the bar throw (Ozone Contact bar) is not enough to make the 180 degrees bar twist over my head :(

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 am

It doesn't need to go over your head as long as it can go at about shoulder height it should be good enough.
Look at the progression video and you can see its not necessarily going over his head when he twists the bar but rather at head height and, obviously, a bit to the side.

Also: I would really recommend getting a bar with a big bar throw unless you have really short arms.
It is really a great upgrade for foiling being able to fully depower instantly. So if slightly possible get a (foil specific) bar with long throw and/or a bar with rear trim.
I love my OR shift bar even if it does not have auto untwist, did not like the DT clickbar since it has quite some issues.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
rnelias (Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Tue Jul 26, 2022 4:45 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:21 am
It doesn't need to go over your head as long as it can go at about shoulder height it should be good enough.
Look at the progression video and you can see its not necessarily going over his head when he twists the bar but rather at head height and, obviously, a bit to the side.

Also: I would really recommend getting a bar with a big bar throw unless you have really short arms.
It is really a great upgrade for foiling being able to fully depower instantly. So if slightly possible get a (foil specific) bar with long throw and/or a bar with rear trim.
I love my OR shift bar even if it does not have auto untwist, did not like the DT clickbar since it has quite some issues.
humm... I'll try with a clickbar though... I usually don't like it for foiling too but it has a huge depower throw.

1,85m tall and long arms here :thumb:

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:39 am

ok, first attempts today... no success yet (of course)

Wind: about 10-12k
kite: North Reach 8m with Navigator bar (forgot clickbar at home :( )

Full neoprene and helmet to avoid injuries

What I think I did right? Tried several times to bring the kite to zenith while twisting the bar 180 degrees.

What I observed? I must go downwind a little bit to gain some speed while lines slack and kite climb

What went completely wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: ? Could not turn in the correct timing. It seems the board slows down when kite goes to zenith and there's not enough inertia to start the turn. I can feel the lines slacking and even the kite changing to the oposite side (now I understand what happens after twisting the bar :P )

dkazhdan
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2016
Weight: 200 lb
Local Beach: Miami beach
Style: foil
Gear: airush

Postby dkazhdan » Wed Jul 27, 2022 5:03 am

what i found working for me is that once the kite is behind you say at 11 you lean hard against the lines and crank the bar with all you have.
This makes the kite loop tight above your head and helps you complete the tack to the heel side.
These users thanked the author dkazhdan for the post:
rnelias (Thu Jul 28, 2022 1:43 am)

windmaker
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: .
Style: Strapless surf and foil
Gear: F-One & Aeros kites/ HB surf/ Taaroa foil/ Manera

Postby windmaker » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:18 am

rnelias wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 12:39 am
ok, first attempts today... no success yet (of course)

Wind: about 10-12k
kite: North Reach 8m with Navigator bar (forgot clickbar at home :( )

Full neoprene and helmet to avoid injuries

What I think I did right? Tried several times to bring the kite to zenith while twisting the bar 180 degrees.

What I observed? I must go downwind a little bit to gain some speed while lines slack and kite climb

What went completely wrong :lol: :lol: :lol: ? Could not turn in the correct timing. It seems the board slows down when kite goes to zenith and there's not enough inertia to start the turn. I can feel the lines slacking and even the kite changing to the oposite side (now I understand what happens after twisting the bar :P )
As you said, start with good speed not too close too the wind, you only have a few seconds of free flying before you completely loose speed so raise your kite a little faster so that there is board speed left when it reaches the zenith.
These users thanked the author windmaker for the post:

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.

Postby Herman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 10:48 am

When you are dicking around with the kite it is easy to lose board speed. In an earlier post I said drift the kite up to Z, probably not the best way to describe it. Better would have been to say get the kite flying towards Z with decent speed; you will probably need to sheet out after the pull to turn the kite to achieve this. Indeed this is probably the first critical moment of the manoeuvre. You have to have the kite flying briskly towards Z and still have good board speed. If you don’t have those two things to start with, arguably, there is no point in committing to the rest of the manoeuvre; naturally as you get better at it you will be able to get away with less board speed etc…. If you are going below a beam reach for speed I think you need to recover to a close reach with a gentle carve as you fly the kite to Z, and then twist the bar just before the lines are straight up and start pulling more with the BH just prior to starting the harder carve through the wind.
These users thanked the author Herman for the post:

Return to “Hydrofoil”