Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Nolot unstoppable with four wins from five - Day 3 of the KiteFoil World Series Gizzeria

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Toby
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 95 kg
Local Beach: Cumbuco, Brazil
Barra do Cauipe, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: same
Style: Airstyle
Gear: Rebel 2015 18
Brand Affiliation: None.

Nolot unstoppable with four wins from five - Day 3 of the KiteFoil World Series Gizzeria

Postby Toby » Sat Jul 23, 2022 9:16 pm

IKA News:

Nolot unstoppable with four wins from five

ika.jpg
ika.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 478 times

Day 3 of the KiteFoil World Series Gizzeria in Italy was the most interesting yet, with some significant moves on the leaderboard in warm winds of 12 to 16 knots.

HIGHLIGHTS

• Stronger winds and a more open race course changed the pecking order
• Lauriane Nolot was Queen of Gizzeria with four wins from five races
• Denis Taradin seizes back the yellow bib from Toni Vodisek
• Just a perfect day for Gian Stragiotti in the A’s Youth Europeans

NOLOT “INARRETABLE” IN STRONGER BREEZE

The power of the port tack start wasn’t nearly so obvious in the stronger breezes of Saturday. Getting into towards the shore on the right-hand side was still a pretty solid option, but there were opportunities further out to sea on a much more balanced race course.

This played into the hands of Lauriane Nolot (FRA) who had shown signs of greatness on the previous two days but had also been very inconsistent. Having won the last two races of the two previous days of competition, this time Nolot was fast out of the blocks from the very start of the first race of the five-race session. Once the French rider broke into clear air and found her own lane, she was consistently a knot or more faster upwind compared with her rivals. Unstoppable.

Four races later and she had four bullets, to go with the two Nolot had won the previous afternoon. Eight race wins in total so far, and potentially just one race win from overall victory.

Daniela Moroz started the day in the blue bib for second overall and consolidated her position with some solid scores of 3,2,2,3, beautifully completed with a race win at the end of the afternoon. Ellie Aldridge (GBR) started the day in the yellow bib but couldn’t quite match her race-winning form from Friday, although she finished in a very easy third place overall. This means the British rider heads up one side of the semi-final draw, while fourth-place Poema Newland (FRA) will hold the top spot in the other semi-final.

As the top two finishers, Nolot and Moroz’s route to the four-rider final is secured. Aldridge and Newland, on the other hand, will have to fight it out with the rest of the top 10 in the semis before they can progress to the final.

Based on today’s performance, one to watch for tomorrow is Gal Zukerman (ISR) who was sitting on the cusp of the top 10 this morning. The 18-year-old found a new gear to rise from 11th to 5th by the end of the afternoon, a result that took even her by surprise. Her scores of 3,4,4,5,4 were the third best of the day behind Nolot and Moroz, and maybe the young Israeli is hitting form at the right moment.

THEO FIGHTS BACK

Reigning Formula Kite World Champion Theo de Ramecourt (FRA) started to show his best form this afternoon as he won two races and finished third in the last. The points gap to fifth placed Axel Mazella (FRA) was too large for a rise up the rankings but it has certainly boosted his confidence going into the final day. “On paper, winning is possible, but just making the podium would be a really good thing,” said de Ramecourt who enjoyed the change of pattern in the racing today.

“The right-hand side effect was a little bit less than the days before and the start line didn't allow you to go on port so much. But I think the wind was stronger overall and it's kind of a different game.” It also came down to kite size selection, he believed. “I decided to go for 18, for most of the races were all the other guys were still on the 23, which allowed me to go like to have a nice speed. And, yeah, I felt good. I was just flying. I felt really, really good on my board. I had good balance, good speed and good confidence.”

Denis Taradin (CYP) had been forced to give up the yellow bib to Toni Vodisek (SLO) who had proved the fearless master of the well-executed port tack. However with less emphasis on the port tack today, Vodisek’s not-so-secret weapon was negated and other skills came into play. Straight line speed is critical in Gizzeria and Taradin always looked quick as he racked up scores of 2,1,2,3,2 to regain the lead and the yellow bib just when it matters the most. Last year’s winner is well placed to retain his title, although Vodisek’s victory in the final race of the session shows the Slovenian is not going to let Taradin get away without a fight.

Lorenzo Boschetti (ITA) won the first race of the day and holds third place overall, while fellow Italian Riccardo Pianosi (ITA) is fourth overall ahead of Mazella.

STRAGIOTTI - ONE HAND ON THE TROPHY

Reigning Youth World Champion in the A’s Youth class, Gian Stragiotti (SUI), enjoyed his best day yet, a perfect four bullets from four races. Jan Koszowski (POL) looks set for an easy silver this week, while the battle for bronze will come down to an Italian match race between Giuseppe Paolillo and Leonardo Giovannelli.

The final day of racing is scheduled to begin on Sunday at 1345 hours with the Livestream Broadcast due to commence at 1330 hours.

For more about the event: https://kitefoilworldseries.com/

KFWS Men
1 CYP Denis Taradin 23p
2 SLO Toni Vodisek 26p
3 ITA Lorenzo Boschetti 39p

KFWS Women
1 FRA Lauriane Nolot 22p
2 USA Daniela Moroz 28p
3 GBR Ellie Aldridge 35p

Full results: https://kitefoilworldseries.com/

A's YouthFoil
1 SUI Gian Andrea Stragiotti 9p