leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun
Brand Affiliation: None

Any tips for learning the "ballerina"

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:32 pm

Hi,

Anyone here doing the ballerina (doing a pirouette on the board) that has some tips?
I watched Stevens Akkerdijk movie but I have a really hard time to keep connected to and centered on the board during the move. Usually I basically slowly “float away” downwind from the board.
However if I don’t have an upwind course into the move I don’t get (long) enough lift from the kite.

Any tips appreciated,
Thx

Herman
Very Frequent Poster
Style: My Own.
Gear: SLE, foils and C kites, TTs, Directionals, Landboards, Buggy.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Any tips for learning the "ballerina"

Postby Herman » Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:25 am

Sadly I hung my tootoo up many years ago and so no bailarina for me, but some longboard dance would be good cross training. Have a look at the longboard pirouette vids, if you have not already done so, it might give you something. Lotfi seems to do it rather well!! Hans Wouters also has a good vid on the subject. Like doing a hipi jump I think you have to overcome your instinct to push forward, because you’re moving, and just deweight by pushing up. Bailarinas spot but not sure that is particularly relevant. Obviously you have to allow for kite pull if necessary when choosing your direction of push for the deweight so it would not be straight up if the kite is pulling? Good luck with your progression.

Return to “Hydrofoil”