A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
roQer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Whatever
Brand Affiliation: None

How to learn to kitefoil in the waves

Postby roQer » Sun Aug 07, 2022 9:05 am

I’m a beginner kitefoiler who has right now the choice to seat on the beach watching other kitefoilers having fun or go out and fight the elements to eventually succeed and become one of them. The wind is marginal for riding a twintip even with a 15 m2 Soul. The foilers seems to have no problems with small kites like a 8 m2 UFO. I have full range of LEI kites from 7 to 15 m2 and 10 and 15 m2 Souls. I manage to do a waterstart in both directions and ride for about 30 m on the foil, this is far away from being in control though. The winds are 10-13 knots sideshore, I weigh 85 kg. The problem is I’m at the south French Atlantic coast with strong waves and currents. So how to become a kitefoiler in this conditions? Generally a no go and practice first in shallow waters? Give it a go and try to overcome the surf bodydragging out? What would be your advice?

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: How to learn to kitefoil in the waves

Postby leeuwen » Sun Aug 07, 2022 2:54 pm

I would ask the locals how they learned.
I guess it depends a bit on how bad the waves and currents are. Here (NL) waves hugely depend on wind (so 12 knots for a few days would mean close to flat water behind the surf if there is any surf at all).
Currents depends on the tides here and you can find a moment where the currents suit you.
At least with side shore winds it should not be too hard to body drag out through the surf which is a royal pain with on shore.

A flat water spot for sure is a lot easier and you could consider searching for one or booking a holiday around one. Eg going to lac serre poncon to have a few first sessions there.
These users thanked the author leeuwen for the post:
roQer (Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:27 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sun Aug 07, 2022 3:46 pm

It depends on the exact conditions at your spot. If the wind is very onshore it can be very, very difficult to body drag out into water deep enough to water start. However, body dragging through surf in side shore wind with a foil, is doable - it may be a bit challenging but with patience you should be able to manage.If you can successfully get out past the shore break, and you don't have to deal with breaking waves further out, you should be able to learn and progress. Flat water would be easier, but I think you should be able to learn with choppy water and swells.
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post (total 2):
Trent hink (Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:36 pm) • roQer (Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:27 am)
Rating: 6.06%

dirk8037
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: xRide, Evo, Boost2, Religion MK8, Alpine
Has thanked: 0

Postby dirk8037 » Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:48 pm

I only know St Giron and the Guethary Actoz Region.
But in both areas I had the impression that there are always places that produce less waves depending on tide and swell size.
Eg at dead hightide St Giron is up to 3ft 9sec quite uninteresting for surfing and the channels are clean.
With an additional channel it should be doable. Especially with side shore wind I would suggest to time right tide and spot even if you have a bit of a drive.
Try to taxi out and then stay save behind the impact zone.
These users thanked the author dirk8037 for the post:

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Sun Aug 07, 2022 5:23 pm

Have a look @ lac sanguinet, port de l èstey. It should be not far away from you. Flat warm water, thermic winds until Sept.
Perfect for learning to foil
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Sun Aug 07, 2022 8:39 pm

Flyboy has the answer.

Flat water is easier for learning, but if all you got is waves...

You will find it much easier if you can body-drag out past where the waves are breaking.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:

roQer
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Gear: Whatever

Postby roQer » Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:21 am

Thanks guys for your advice. Yesterday the waves were quite small like <1 m so I think bodydragging out of the break zone should be doable. Your posts sound encouraging so I’ll give it today a try. Unfortunately waves is all I got. Going somewhere else is currently no option.

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast

Postby ieism » Mon Aug 08, 2022 7:14 pm

I learned in waves as well, and it can be done. Just be safe. Try to keep the board on its side the foil facing away from you, this is safer and easier to steer the board. On its side it's also easier to pull it trough the whitewater. Steer the board from the rear when you are swimming, its very hard to pull the foil backwards or sideways but easy to push forward and turn it if it's going the wrong way. Like a shopping trolley with only front steering wheels.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
roQer (Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:18 am)

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:27 pm

roQer wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:21 am
Thanks guys for your advice. Yesterday the waves were quite small like <1 m so I think bodydragging out of the break zone should be doable. Your posts sound encouraging so I’ll give it today a try. Unfortunately waves is all I got. Going somewhere else is currently no option.

I wouldnt say "unfortunately" - change it over to "luckily" waves is what you got !!!

See so many learning foil on flat water, eventhough they would love to ride in waves, small or big, but they get stuck and keep on riding in the hopelessly boring flat water for years and years and never move an inch :-?

It will take a bit longer maybe, but no problem - just take the extra punishing you will get for this period.

When learned, you will be a MUCH better rider in every way, and have fun every day :thumb:

I took my big foilboard out in headhigh waves fully (over)powered with a 5 m2 tube, when I learned in 2013, on my 4th session.
Got my ass kicked of course, and took a surfboard later - but eventually I could ride foils in EVERYTHING !
Learned that year in a bit smaller waves, but hardly never flatwater, and doesnt make much difference really.

I have tried a few times lately, to ride on flat water (microchop), just to be "social" with the huge amount riding there.
And have bored myself to death really fast...
Had to practice things almost impossible for me, just to not die of boredom - but still not fun in any way :(

Flatwater sucks, waves rocks :rollgrin:

The same goes for wingfoiling, just even more boring in flat water - for a "craft" made for surfing all kind of waves, small windwaves are especially great.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Tue Aug 09, 2022 12:58 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Aug 08, 2022 8:27 pm

Flatwater sucks, waves rocks :rollgrin:

8) Peter
I disagree. Waves rock, I agree on that, but flatwater rocks too. At my local beach, we have an inlet that has flat water at low tide and open ocean that mostly has small waves from mid-tide and higher. I usually kite in the afternoon, after the sea breeze kicks in, and it is great to cycle my terrain choices with the tides. When it is low tide I'll go to the inlet for flat water and when it is high tide I'll go out in the waves. In flatwater, I often switch to my pocket board (~80cm), ride super small kites just for the fun of slinging them around, and work on perfecting maneuvers and transitions. I can spend hours in a 20 meter stretch of water and have a blast.

Maybe I would feel differently if I could ride perfect waves all the time, but, here in the real world (SE USA), riding in flatwater is a nice change of pace and a fun way to keep your skills sharp.
Last edited by junebug on Tue Aug 09, 2022 2:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:

Return to “Hydrofoil”