Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tried a Lift e-foil today

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Tried a Lift e-foil today

Postby fernmanus » Fri Aug 12, 2022 7:02 am

I have a Waydoo efoil that I bought last year from Mackiteboarding. I have found it easy to use, now I want to buy a Lift. The Waydoo has a whine, It is not terrible, but when you are on clear lakes with no wind it is distracting. I do like the EPP board for learning. Battery life is only an hour, but I could get better riding time with a smaller front wing.

The efoil is a different experience than kiting, it is a perfect alternative for no wind days and can be used in places where kiting is impossible. The price is steep, but actually not bad compared to a jetski. A jetski is fun, but they are noisy and the gasoline exhaust alienates one from the experience of enjoying nature. An efoil is so stealthy that you can sneak up on fish, it is an otherworldly experience on high mountain lakes.

nothing2seehere
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 72
Local Beach: Calshot, Hayling, Meon - Southcoast UK
Gear: Duotone Rebel, Evo SLS, Flysurfer Soul/Peak, Ocean rodeo jester, Airush Ultra, shinn boards
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby nothing2seehere » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:47 am

RRC1962 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:18 pm
nothing2seehere wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 11:08 am
What's your purpose behind the e-foil? I like the look of the Australian 'Foil Drive' system. Mainly because I think the idea of riding swell is more fun than the idea of just blasting up and down the coast like you might on a jetski.
Mostly just flat water. Maybe ocean swells or chasing the ferry wake now and then. Probably some inland lakes when we travel. I'm looking for stable and easy to ride. I don't really care about turning speed or responsiveness. Slow and stable works for me. The reason for an efoil is to fill the gap when nothing else is really usable (no wind) or when traveling. Easier to take the efoil than my collection of kite gear.
Foil Drive probably isn't ideal for the flat water. Although - I did see the wake thief youtube channel trying one out. They are primarily dock start riders and said it made a good teaching aid to help people to understand how to properly pump foil.

For low wind fun, an electric skateboard like a one wheel can give you plenty of fun. Its a similar floating experience but much easier to travel with.

I think you are in a lucky position where there are a lot of fun products that would suit your lifestyle very nicely.

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Aug 12, 2022 5:50 pm

Not that you need it all to have fun, but once you start serious boardsports addiction, the tendency is to push it as far as you can

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm

I have about 15 hours now on my Fliteboard so I just went through all the decision making part of it all if you have any questions. What ultimately made my decision against the 3F and got the 2.2 instead was I couldn't find a local dealer that would get me the larger mast with it. If you order it from lift, it only comes with the shorter mast and I wasn't going to spend that kind of money and not get it configured how I wanted it. Also none of the local dealers would let me pay with my credit card(I got a 0% card for this purchase) without a fee so that was another con. Ultimately I think dealer experience greatly helps with these machines. I absolutely love my Fliteboard Pro and currently been only riding flat lake waters.

RRC1962
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 240
Local Beach: Dewey Beach, DE
Favorite Beaches: Rehoboth, DE. Outer Banks, NC.
Style: Freeride, mow the grass
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.

Postby RRC1962 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:40 pm

Thanks guys. I have noticed the tendency to push the limits, but I was more prone to that sort of thing when I was younger. I think I would learn faster on the bigger board, but I also think it won't take long to get into the groove with the 5'4 board and the 5'4 will travel better. As for wings, everyone seems to like the Surf 250/48 combo, and that's what I took a lesson on. I figure if I get the need for speed I can pick up a 200HA/38 combo. I'm trying to get this right the first time so I don't end up with a half a dozen wings hanging on the wall.

At this point I'm trying to strike balance between ease of use/learning and battery life. I can't find anyone who has done a battery life comparison between the 250/48 and the 300/48. My concern is foil efficiency and battery life. I figure other than traveling, 5" more on the board is going no effect on battery life. Might make me plane off faster and get on foil which would reduce drag, so a larger board, in theory, could extend range slightly.

So that's where I'm at right now. Probably pull the trigger in a couple weeks.
Last edited by RRC1962 on Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RRC1962
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.

Postby RRC1962 » Fri Aug 12, 2022 9:42 pm

Adventure Logs wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 8:35 pm
Ultimately I think dealer experience greatly helps with these machines.
This is why Lift is at the top of my list. We have a great dealer here and (1) I'd like to support them and (2) They will be a great resource should I have any issues.

Knowone
Medium Poster
Style: wave/foil
Gear: Drifters

Postby Knowone » Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:11 am

You will definitely learn faster on a bigger board...it's easier to get up...conversely, you will reach the point where it limits your process sooner. Several of my friends have started with bigger boards and then moved on. They have kept the larger boards and wings for there friends to try, or sold them...
Same applies to wings.
If you have already had success on the 250/38, I would recommend buying that set-up rather than the larger. Same reason, you will out grow it faster. and the larger wing, with more drag, will shorten run time.
I have no experience on either the 250 or 300. I have owned 200 and 150 v2's; now I own HA wings (200,170,120). I use the 'half' battery, and get run times of just over an hour. With the V2's it was shorter...
Once you have mastered the 250, try a HA 200. After learning on surf V2's, I was concerned that the HA's were designed for winging and kiting...that the wider wingspan would slow down the turning speed...Nope!...The HA's are more pitch sensitive, and require more skill to get planning; but that same pitch sensitivity makes it easier to (after rolling the wing) rip a turn...or not!

elmarco
Medium Poster

Postby elmarco » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 pm

A more affordable lift alternative, and ideal if you already have some foil gear:
https://lacroixboards.com/pages/efoil

I’ve ridden this , lift and waydoo.
It rides closer to a lift, much nicer than a waydoo.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:50 pm

Knowone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:11 am
You will definitely learn faster on a bigger board...it's easier to get up...conversely, you will reach the point where it limits your process sooner. Several of my friends have started with bigger boards and then moved on. They have kept the larger boards and wings for there friends to try, or sold them...
+1. Agree 100%.

If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd plan for the longer term. Once you're consistently up on foil, you're probably not going to want the large board.

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Sat Aug 13, 2022 11:54 pm

elmarco wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:32 pm
A more affordable lift alternative, and ideal if you already have some foil gear:
https://lacroixboards.com/pages/efoil

I’ve ridden this , lift and waydoo.
It rides closer to a lift, much nicer than a waydoo.
Interesting concept. Planing the board must be challenging with that big box attached to the bottom of the board. Looks like they don't have much of a presence in the US. Also interesting how they can make a battery system, mast and motor for less than Lift sells a battery for.

Return to “Hydrofoil”