Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Tried a Lift e-foil today

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
RRC1962
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 240
Local Beach: Dewey Beach, DE
Favorite Beaches: Rehoboth, DE. Outer Banks, NC.
Style: Freeride, mow the grass
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Tried a Lift e-foil today

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:32 am

FLandOBX wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:50 pm
Knowone wrote:
Sat Aug 13, 2022 5:11 am
You will definitely learn faster on a bigger board...it's easier to get up...conversely, you will reach the point where it limits your process sooner. Several of my friends have started with bigger boards and then moved on. They have kept the larger boards and wings for there friends to try, or sold them...
+1. Agree 100%.

If I'm spending that kind of money, I'd plan for the longer term. Once you're consistently up on foil, you're probably not going to want the large board.
You guys might be overestimating my overall ability. 20/30 years ago I would have agreed. Today, I'm 60YO. I've had broken back, neck, both knees, left knee twice, ACL and MCL in both knees, most ribs and shoulder...and none of it from kiteboarding/foiling. I find kiteboarding and now foiling fairly low impact as long I don't push myself too far past my abilities. I mow the lawn on my kiteboard and would do the same on the efoil. The only thing I would like to try on the efoil is possibly depowered foiling on boat wakes or lazy ocean swells.

I've tried towing into swells on my Slingshot foil, but I find the efoil MUCH easier to deal with than water starting on the wake foil, which I can't do consistently. I think riding out on the efoil under power then riding swells and wakes sounds like a blast. Run out of waves just power back up and find another.

I've been reading a lot about battery life and general battery problems. My concern is that the advertised 100 minute run time is based on best case scenario, like 90lb rider, smallest board, slippery HA wing and a tail wind. Then a big guy like me buys a 5'4 or 5'9 board with a Surf 250/48 wing set and I'm burning through a battery in 30-45 minutes. I have talked to people who said that losing the prop guard makes a noticeable difference, but can't get a straight answer on how the different wing combos and rider weight affect battery life.

For instance, When I demoed the 5'4 with Surf 250 wing, I couldn't really foil on power setting 6. I could get the board off the water, but without more power it wanted to just slow down and settle back down on the water. Seemed like setting 8 was pretty much my lower limit. So I was thinking if I could foil at a slower speed with less power with the Surf 300 I would use less power, but the 300 has more drag than the 250 and they both have a lot more drag than the HA wings. Having a time finding definitive answers to things like that.

I don't have a problem starting out with larger boards and wings as long as battery life doesn't suffer too dramatically. I'd be pretty pissed after spending 13k just to find out the best ride time I can get is 30 minutes. Lift and their reps seem to want to dance around the battery life issue without providing any real answers other than ways to improve it, like by removing the prop guard. They need to test with different riders (weights) and different wings.

RRC1962
Medium Poster
Gear: Cabrinha Contra 17, Moto 14, Litewave Wing 165, Slingshot Hover Glide foil on a WF-2 board, Mystic Driver Seat Harness.

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:45 am

Scared to pull the trigger after reading about battery problems. This thing could be a money pit after the warranty expires. Someone needs to come up with a G-Foil. I'd be all over a gas powered version. Battery tech is just not up to speed when it comes to high demand use. Depending on firmware, one dead cell can brick a $4000 battery. In our EV (car) one dead cell bricked the car.
These users thanked the author RRC1962 for the post:
Trent hink (Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:55 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

fernmanus
Very Frequent Poster

Postby fernmanus » Sun Aug 14, 2022 2:25 am

. Scared to pull the trigger after reading about battery problems. This thing could be a money pit after the warranty expires. Someone needs to come up with a G-Foil. I'd be all over a gas powered version. Battery tech is just not up to speed when it comes to high demand use. Depending on firmware, one dead cell can brick a $4000 battery. In our EV (car) one dead cell bricked the car.
The beauty of an efoil is the silent ride. A gfoil sounds like a nightmare - loud and breathing exhaust fumes, but that is me, I don’t care for jetskis much either.

You are worrying too much, get a Lift Foil from a reputable dealer. Lift stands behind their product.

As far as the run time goes, it does depend on your weight, the wing, and where you are riding (flat water is better than chop or surf). However, I have a cheap Waydoo efoil. I weigh 190 and I am getting an hour ride time. You should get better with Lift if you buy the extended battery. My next efoil will be a Lift because their support is so great.

Adventure Logs
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: South Padre Island, Texas
Punta del Diablo, Urugay
Gear: Flysurfer, Moses, Groove, Gin

Postby Adventure Logs » Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:03 pm

RRC1962 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 1:45 am
Scared to pull the trigger after reading about battery problems. This thing could be a money pit after the warranty expires. Someone needs to come up with a G-Foil. I'd be all over a gas powered version. Battery tech is just not up to speed when it comes to high demand use. Depending on firmware, one dead cell can brick a $4000 battery. In our EV (car) one dead cell bricked the car.
This is one of the BIG reasons I went with Fliteboard. No battery fires and better battery tech. I have had two onewheels that ended up having bad battery cells so I wanted to make sure I didn't run into the same problem with an efoil. Check out their tech with the new 2.2.

=Jason-

4liner
Rare Poster
Gear: Hydrofoil
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Postby 4liner » Sun Aug 14, 2022 4:21 pm

FWIW...i owned a Lift for 2 years. The only problems I had was controller connectivity. Went thru 2 controllers, both under warranty. Sold the board when it went out of warranty. Now I own a Fliteboard.
I like how it rides better. I belong to both FB Groups. I see more battery issues with Lift than with Flite.

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:56 pm

Flite being based outside if the US, how is warranty service in the US? How is your ride time on flite vs Lift? Are you riding the low/medium aspect surf wings or HA wings?

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 6:18 pm

I like the Fliteboard Air, but it looks like they only offer it with a short 23" mast. Most people tell me that 28" is too short.

4liner
Rare Poster

Postby 4liner » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:28 pm

RRC1962 wrote:
Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Flite being based outside if the US, how is warranty service in the US? How is your ride time on flite vs Lift? Are you riding the low/medium aspect surf wings or HA wings?
I haven't had to deal with any warranty issues yet. I've owned it since April of this year. I switch between the Cruiser 1100 Wing and the Flow 1100. I like the Flow Wing for blasting around going fast and doing some hard carves...but I love the Cruiser Wing when I just want to enjoy a new location and just cruise. It's hard to make a mistake with the Cruiser. The Cruiser 1800 might be perfect for a guy your size.
(I'm 165lbs, 70.5Kg) The controller is small, has GPS built in, shows speed in Km, Km traveled, battery %, + other things that I can't remember right now.

I did not know the Fliteboard Air is not offered with the 75cm mast. There must be a reason. I'm guessing the Air is not structurally robust to handle the torque of the longer mast. Ride time for me is more than plenty. I will usually ride 70mins and I still have 20-30% left in the battery.
I do not have the prop-guard on. Removing it makes all the difference in the world. With my 5' E2 Lift I would get a bit less ride time...maybe about 10min less.

4liner
Rare Poster

Postby 4liner » Sun Aug 14, 2022 7:31 pm

Whatever you end up getting, be sure you get the long mast 75cm or 32" propulsion unit.

RRC1962
Medium Poster

Postby RRC1962 » Sun Aug 14, 2022 9:07 pm

I was thinking 28" mast just because my preferred riding spot is shallow, but then another 4" probably won't make much difference there. If I'm grounding a 32 I'd probably be grounding the 28 also. Looks like to longest mast they offer now is 29", which works for me. I was thing the Cruiser 1800/500 would be about right. I'd still like to demo. There is a shop in GA that is within a days drive. Might take a road trip.

On second look, they are calling the 75cm mast 29".

Return to “Hydrofoil”