Slingshot 103 Hopecraft Review

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Slingshot 103 Hopecraft Review

Postby lifeinthehood » Wed Aug 17, 2022 7:46 pm

Kiterisland1 wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:53 pm
lifeinthehood wrote:
Wed Aug 17, 2022 5:16 pm
grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:46 pm
I need a 90 or better 80cm micro :)
Ask and you shall receive. Slingshot also announced the new Travel Craft v1 90: https://slingshotsports.com/products/tr ... foil-board
This looks awesome. In the video it says “one bag”. Looks like a bag for board foil maybe kites. Anyone know more about the bag?
I looked under “Bags” also but didn’t see anything new. In the video it looks like it might just be the Phantasm foil bag. If it can fit a 102 cm mast, it can probably fit this 90 cm board as long as the bag is wide enough.

Foilfreddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Ventana and Hood River
Style: Strapless
Gear: Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Foilfreddy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:50 am

The board is made to withstand constant jumping abuse. Hence the stiffer layup and core. This stiffness also makes the feel of the foil much more pronounced. I posted the following on Instagram:
The Hopecraft V1. Max Nose volume, pro core, beveled rails. Features with benefits. This board is made for my riding, and at the same time, everyone else’s. The Max Nose give you unmatched touch down ability even when coming down with force. The more aggressive beveled rails allows you to rail the board over without catching an edge. The narrow tail prevents tail drag. The insanely stiff core tunes you into your foil and prevents fatigue. We built this board to keep you on the water longer. You won’t regret putting one under your feet.

If you guys have any questions ask away!
These users thanked the author Foilfreddy for the post (total 3):
redskykiter (Thu Aug 18, 2022 1:25 am) • Nak (Thu Aug 18, 2022 4:46 am) • lifeinthehood (Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:08 pm)
Rating: 9.09%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 am

Side view please :D

"Narrow tail" oh god don't do that. Narrow tails suck when you've got big feet. The old DC is just right.

EDIT: there it is.

Foilfreddy
Rare Poster
Local Beach: La Ventana and Hood River
Style: Strapless
Gear: Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Foilfreddy » Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:13 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:47 am
Side view please :D

"Narrow tail" oh god don't do that. Narrow tails suck when you've got big feet. The old DC is just right.

EDIT: there it is.
From Nak: "I ride with my feet on the rails, and I assumed that the narrower width would be an issue as well. I was relieved of all concerns after riding the board."

I have size US 13 feet so unless you have size 14 or 15 feet you'll be fine. Even with bigger than 13, I don't think the width will be an issue.
These users thanked the author Foilfreddy for the post:
Nak (Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

galewarning
Frequent Poster
Weight: 168
Local Beach: Any slowly draining lake in the Desert Southwest & Land of Detachment.
Gear: Kite & foil kit: 15m Ghost V2, 12m SS RPX, 10/8/7/6/5/4 V6 SST, 8m SS UFO V2, 6m Ghost V2, 4&5 Contra 1S, SS Phantasm 684/633, SS Dwarfcraft 110, SS 5'0 Convert [my directional], SS 159 Glide; SS 138 Vision, 136 Nobile Split, SS 133 Luna
Wing kit: SS Wingcraft 90 / SS G900 / 3.5 Cab X3, 4.4 Vayu, 6.0 Slingwing V4
Brand Affiliation: None directly, but I do have friends in the snow and wind sports industries.

Postby galewarning » Thu Aug 18, 2022 7:20 pm

Upcoming 90cm Slingshot Travel Craft...

https://slingshotsports.com/collections ... foil-board
grigorib wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 7:46 pm
I need a 90 or better 80cm micro :)
These users thanked the author galewarning for the post:
grigorib (Thu Aug 18, 2022 10:29 pm)

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Thu Aug 18, 2022 11:07 pm

Foilfreddy wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 12:50 am
...If you guys have any questions ask away!
No questions, just wanted to say congratulations on your first branded product! (I think?) I'm only a beginner foiler for now, but hoping my skill progression gets to the point where the features of this board become important for my riding.

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Fri Aug 19, 2022 11:41 am

Foilfreddy wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:13 pm
From Nak: "I ride with my feet on the rails, and I assumed that the narrower width would be an issue as well. I was relieved of all concerns after riding the board."

I have size US 13 feet so unless you have size 14 or 15 feet you'll be fine. Even with bigger than 13, I don't think the width will be an issue.
US 13 here too. Any drag from water contact I experience is usually just in front of or behind the front foot, never the tail... I don't like the tear-drop shaped boards at all.

I didn't understood what he meant by "feet on the rails". I assumed he meant a la V-straps, and I ride with me feet pretty much centered so I didn't think any more about that comment.

On my 3'6" DC board my rear foot's heel and toes are easily enough on the padding, but on boards any narrower my toes are off the pad and on the deck. It bugs me while riding, and that spoils my flow :D

Oh, are you actually The Fred Hope? I was watching the demo vid and marveling at how narrow your stance seems to be :lol: you're a freak of nature man, your riding is amazing :thumb:

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 pm

Size 12 feet.

On the old dwarfcraft 100, I would often hang my toes off the side on a foot switch or have the toes off the pad.

And yes I have an offset stance.

I also found the deck pads too sticky and i wore them off.

Slingshot support is absolutely the best and paid for new deck pads, but I changed boards.

I now have an axis tray 94 which has a wide tail, no such problems with feet, I eventually went to cork on the deck and that is best for me.

So yes, I also am not a fan of the teardrop shape.

Glad to see slingshot bringing out more mainstream small foil boards.

And I am all in on the ufo v2. :thumb:
These users thanked the author purdyd for the post:
Nak (Sat Aug 20, 2022 4:54 am)

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Kamikuza » Sat Aug 20, 2022 5:01 am

purdyd wrote:
Fri Aug 19, 2022 10:19 pm
Size 12 feet.

On the old dwarfcraft 100, I would often hang my toes off the side on a foot switch or have the toes off the pad.

And yes I have an offset stance.

I also found the deck pads too sticky and i wore them off.

Slingshot support is absolutely the best and paid for new deck pads, but I changed boards.

I now have an axis tray 94 which has a wide tail, no such problems with feet, I eventually went to cork on the deck and that is best for me.

So yes, I also am not a fan of the teardrop shape.

Glad to see slingshot bringing out more mainstream small foil boards.

And I am all in on the ufo v2. :thumb:
How old, the DC?

I've got the old (original?) one with the diamond squares... Last year the colored cut-out logo insert started shedding the pointy bits at the edges, and I've started to wear through to the deck with my front heels. Very satisfying feeling, using gear so much it wears out :lol: I think it's pretty reasonable, no way expect a new deck pad.... wouldn't say no though :D

The texture on the new ones looks nice, but finding a place that sells it is tough. I've found some on AliExpress but the texture is all a little different. Or you have to buy a crap color. I like the "alligator" texture on my Surf Carrot, but the color options are like grey or black...

The Tray I had was suitably wide in the back, but even wider through the middle, and I ended up dipping the rail in the water all the time. Yes it bothers me and yes I wish I could turn that bit of my brain off :lol:

Yeah I thought if I got a custom board, I'd get more volume under the front foot too. Hopefully I can get a demo and see...

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Aug 20, 2022 6:10 am

First edition dwarfcraft micro. Pad started coming off after a couple of months. I actually asked slingshot if they would sell me a new pad and they said they didn’t have any but would pay for new pads under warranty.

Like I said, fantastic customer service. I have owned a lot of slingshot boards and have always been happy with them.

There are a lot of slingshot foil boards and surfboards around here,

At 44cm the hope craft and dwarfcraft micro are about 2cm less in width then the axis tray. Not really any difference for hitting the edge of the board. I think the rounded profile and sharper edge of the slingshots makes it a bit less noticeable when you do hit the rail.

I’d say the 44cm of the slingshot is about the right width in the middle.

It doesn’t look like a lot of room in the tail to me though.
CE432AF4-5315-4984-A79C-749FAE4E2A4B.jpeg

Return to “Hydrofoil”