best "old " LEI combining boosting and agility

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
flaps1111
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 85
Local Beach: Safor Beaches and Costa Blanca, Valencia /Alicante
Style: Strapless hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Skate S w679, w633. Airush Ultra v2 ,4m,5m, 6m, 9m, 12m,14m. Flyfurfer Peak5 4m, BRM 13.4
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: best "old " LEI combining boosting and agility

Postby flaps1111 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:24 pm

Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:35 pm
The Neo boost really good for a Wave kite they have been around for a long time and they foil really good.
Neo the worst kite ever, it is all or nothing, horrible kite to jump, the best pimped kite in the history of kitesurfing.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 7:17 pm

flaps1111 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 6:24 pm
Windigo1 wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:35 pm
The Neo boost really good for a Wave kite they have been around for a long time and they foil really good.
Neo the worst kite ever, it is all or nothing, horrible kite to jump, the best pimped kite in the history of kitesurfing.
Lol.. I am not a fan of Duotone at all and I do agree they tend to be pimped more than other brands but I think the Neo is a nice wave kite it's punchy and powerful as opposed to many wave kites that have no power and you have to work the shit out of them. I also like the Carve it's similar. What's the best wave kite to jump with in your opinion?

Dirk
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: St. Peter Ording
Favorite Beaches: St. Peter Ording, Tarifa, Sylt
Style: Freeride, jumping, waves, foiling
Gear: Naish Pivot, Slash, Boxer, Global, Motion, Traverse, Hero, Naish Hover, Naish Surf Foil
Has thanked: 0

Postby Dirk » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:03 pm

Naish Slash is a wave kite that also jumps well when using a TT.

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:35 am

I would disagree with some things.
Old kites are ok . Check inflate valves is easy and common failure . But obvious a swim risk.

I would not get foil kite .

Old ss kites are not heavy. Rally is light . I rode a 2011 rpm on foil and liked it . Not the best though for boost , but a fun and cheap kite .

Or flite I can recomend . I love the 10 . I have a 8 and 10 I can sell ( I have 2 ) If you interested. I am in USA. I also have a 10m naish trip , it’s not as good as flites but cheap if you want it . Simple and only 2 valves to fail !

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Wed Aug 24, 2022 1:53 pm

Thanks a lot for your diverse ideas. I have a lot of kites including foils. Now i am just discovering kiteloop , backrolls, ect on a foil and wonder if a freestyle / c shape could be great on both foil (for this specific use) and tt.

I have olds kite (2012) and bars, and never had issues. But i am light weight rider, this could help.

And about north vega ? Any expérience on a foil ?

Ps: i now exclude rpm for its poor lift and bar pressure, thank you

edt
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Local Beach: Michigan
Gear: ride hard, no regrets

Postby edt » Wed Aug 24, 2022 3:58 pm

The vegas is a C kite. Unless you are doing wakestyle tricks and unhooking you shouldn't get a C kite. The RPM was also created to be used in wakestyle handle pass tricks. It's not that they are bad kites they are excellent kites just that they are most useful for wakestyle. The best thing about C kites and the RPM and other kites of that shape is the tremendous amount of pop you get and then the amount of slack you get after the pop. If you want to do a handle pass, get one of those kites, it makes the tricks a lot easier. For any thing else, boosting, hydrofoiling, simple hooked in tricks, low kite loops, you want a regular kite, like a rebel, pivot, edge, catalyst, something like that.

I have done so much swimming with old kites. Valve delams, canopy tears, sewing coming off, bridles abrading, pulleys seizing, anything that can go wrong has gone wrong. Kites do get old. I guess I'm more afraid of old kites than you guys are. By the way I do own a 2005 Cabrinha C kite, which is in pristine condition, minty crisp, and I ride it if the conditions are right, so I do make exceptions. I love those old Cab black tips what can I say.

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:08 am

Many thanks for this educated advice on c kites.
Very clear.

kitexpert
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: many kites, also diy

Postby kitexpert » Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:29 am

IDK what RPM was desgined for but it is very far from C kite. More like wave kite feel in it, fast turning speed and powerless loops. But RPM is not a bad kite, it is quite nice kite to fly. Depower is interesting, if you sheet bar fully out all pull vanishes, even so that front lines slack and kite hesitates if it is going to fall down. A bit weird but you can get used to it.

Not a very good kite for for boosting (low lift) and old RPM's flutter quite a lot because there is lot of unsupported fabric between the struts. Kite is also quite flat which gives less tension to fabrics.

C kite is worst possible for foiling because it is hard to use power which varies so much. They are also heavy kites, tough built with five struts or more. Basic pull is weak and when you dive or loop it pulls hard. Then bar pressure can also increase a lot. Latest C kites developed quite a lot and kites like Torch and GP are not that bad. Old Razors and even older Rhinos sucked, heavy umpleasant feel, very small WW, poor upwind, hard to relaunch etc.

At least that Torch I tested had quite a lot jellyfishing (it has very thin LE) which is a bit opposite to opinions of C kite fans "firm and precise feel" etc. :roll: :) Other than that it was ok and to have proper pull in turns is nice

vakiter
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Chesapeake bay
Style: surfboard +foil
Gear: misc. flites, edge, peak, reo, pivot,kahoona, sst.

Postby vakiter » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:11 pm

no the OP questions but, for me a good freeride foiling kite has in order of importance

1) light bar pressure + fast turning
2) handles when depowered a lot
3) good depower
4) drift ~= lightness

since most old kites were not designed for really low power levels, they fail at some categories. example naish trip: even though its strutless, its not that good at anything.

i usually ride either flite, reo, or peak4 on foil.
the flite is best for crossover to boost, although it get jellyfishy at highest end.
peak4 the best drift possible. amazing with swell riding.
reo drift good and floats, which i care about if i go far out.

id like to try a ufo/cloud but havent gotten my hands on one yet.
just some blabber about kites.

Turbaani
Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby Turbaani » Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:50 pm

I learned kitefoiling on a ozone c4 12m. Even though its made for something completely different it worked just fine. Of course there is grunt all the time and its not perfect for sheeting out power.

But the feeling of that kite was just nice. Also so good peak power when looping in light wind. I haven't flown all the kites, but if you want to do proper loops and get a nice feeling flying that kite through loops, I wouldnt check out hybrid C kites. I really liked the feeling of that kite compared to more normal kites like core xr. But I am not jumping or doing loops on foil so moved on to kites with more depower.

Return to “Hydrofoil”