Gear: building my own
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ceramic coating foils?

Postby downunder » Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:15 pm

And shiny is how much different?

0.1%?
0.5%?
1.0%...

Oh, I guess racers travel at 1.5 Mach speed ;)

Mate, no matter how much one is good, it is the skill that wins. It is also the legs and how much one can hold with it.

No two racers are the same. So this argument is really a joke in my books.

Unless there is a proof with two indentical twins with exactly the same gear and reaction.

Nah, this is very subjective topic. Too many variables to claim that matt surface wins the race.

And MikeLab is designed in Italy. By the guy who I know. So there you go..

Somehow I think fast fish surface is hydrophobic. Or not. Shark is not the fastest fish in a sea but tuna is. Is tuna hydrophobic?

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/arti ... -substance

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:12 pm

Mike let’s him build under licence after he left San Fran and Mike couldn’t be fucked with the IKA
And now that there is no IKA accreditation for ML your mate is going to be pretty quiet. As he isn’t building race foils for kites.

Average foiler does 18-22

Average racer does mid 30s if you think that’s close hmm..

Paint a ML and put stickers all over it under a soft shit layer of spray lacquer vs the standard finish?

There is only one winner there

Matty V
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Gear: Home made

Postby Matty V » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:12 pm

Matty V wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:12 pm
Mike let’s him build under licence after he left San Fran and Mike couldn’t be fucked with the IKA
And now that there is no IKA accreditation for ML your mate is going to be pretty quiet. As he isn’t building race foils for kites.

Average foiler does 18-22

Average racer does mid 30s if you think that’s close hmm..

Paint a ML and put stickers all over it under a soft shit layer of spray lacquer vs the standard finish?

There is only one winner there, or your mate would be finishing them like production freeride foils

evan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2002
Local Beach: Brouwersdam
Style: Hydrofoil - Big Air
Gear: Infexion bars
Brand Affiliation: Infexion

Postby evan » Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:16 am

windmaker wrote:
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:32 pm

Anyone with minimum racing experience in sailing, windsurfing, foiling etc knows that mat surfaces have less friction than shiny surfaces. Moses probably thinks that looks are more important, and most first-time buyers have no idea. One of the reasons I never gave a second look at Moses foils.
glossy is just how they come out of the mold, so it is cheaper and more pleasing to look and just leave it that way.

A good matte finish takes a lot of effort and you only notice the difference when pushing the limits of the foil. Biggest difference is ventilation. Riding the foil powered with the mast as horizontal as possible, wingtip piercing the surface will cause constant ventilation when you have a glossy or imperfect surface finish.
If you constantly need to absorb the ventilation or even need to ride more upright to prevent it from happening you will be a lot slower than only a few percent that you gain with only lowering the drag.

Riding slower and more upright will also prevent ventilation, hence why most of the foilers won't benefit much from a sanded foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”