Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

What's the smallest kite you are able to use in light/moderate wind?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: What's the smallest kite you are able to use in light/moderate wind?

Postby grigorib » Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:38 pm

lifeinthehood wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 5:58 pm
….
Your 2.8 could be ridden with 633 in 25-40 knots. Personally I’d choose a smaller foil wing for stronger winds though.

In Gorge I get overpowered on 5m somewhere slightly under 30 knots and use 4m SST. Yet again, I’m 210 lbs.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Mon Nov 21, 2022 8:05 pm

purdyd wrote:
Mon Nov 21, 2022 2:45 pm
IWantToFly wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 8:41 pm
Peter_Frank wrote:
Sun Nov 20, 2022 2:01 pm

Find it amazing you call 25 knots moderate wind :rollgrin:
Living in Hood River will do that to you.

The entire last week has been between 40kts and 90kts!

http://www.nwkite.com/forums/t-52666.html
Remarkably steady for these winds. That is the Rooster sensor, right? I was out at Rooster earlier this season on my 2.8m and 1100cm foil in winds averaging about 30 with gusts close to 40 and it was pretty intense. Lots of TT big air, only two of us on foil.

Huib
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Brouwersdam, Ouddorp
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Groove Full carbon Wave, Ketos 118cm board, Ketos Foil, BRM Cloud E8+ 6.2 +4.8+3.7+ 2.8+2.2

Postby Huib » Sat Dec 31, 2022 1:42 pm

I am (87kg) use the Cloud 2.8m from 20 knots and 20 meter lines. The 2.2 from +/- 26 knts and is a really fun kite
The 8m Cloud I am only using 1x a year. Is too big and too slow. I prefer the 6.2 with longer lines

beboun
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre ( méditeranean ,France )
Favorite Beaches: Boracai, Almanarre, Koh phangan
Style: free ride
Gear: 9m best
Has thanked: 0

Postby beboun » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:33 pm

Small enough ? : 0,5m2 with 2 meters lines.

Last edited by beboun on Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beboun
Rare Poster
Local Beach: Almanarre ( méditeranean ,France )
Favorite Beaches: Boracai, Almanarre, Koh phangan
Style: free ride
Gear: 9m best
Has thanked: 0

Postby beboun » Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:37 pm

But in fact.....Do you really need wind ?

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:12 am

Just wanted to update this post. I have been here in Progreso, Mexico since early Jan. The wind has generally on the mild side, 10-14 knots. There were El Norte storms every 1-2 weeks which would bring in 18 knot winds but there were also directly onshore and created big disorganized waves which made foiling a non starter for me, so I usually twin tipped on those days.

Now that it’s March, El Nortes are finally ending and we’re getting some pretty consistent side onshore winds starting right around noon, about 12-16 knots. People here say we’re entering the best 2 months of kiting in Progeso. In the last week, I have been able foil every single day. Coincidentally, about a week ago, strapless foiling clicked for me and it really jump started my progression.

As a result as finally getting comfortable on foil, I have been trying with smaller and smaller kites. I am shocked at how low I can go. In this last week I had two fantastic sessions on a 3.7 Cloud with 14-15 knots. Was able to use my 4.8 down to about 10 knots. Now I’m wondering if I might actually be able use my 2.8 if we can get a few days of 18 knot winds.

drsurf
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Local Beach: NSW South Coast
Gear: Too much too describe
Brand Affiliation: Whatever I sell

Postby drsurf » Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:50 am

Bearing in mind my weight is 67kg, it is amazing how low I can go with small kites. The largest kite i use is a 5m Peak5 and I much prefer my smaller kites, 4m Peak5 and 3.5m & 2.5m Hybrids. The difference in wind speed required between the 4m & 5m Peak5 is only 1 or 2 knots and the key capability required is to be able to get you out of the water. If the kite can get you and the board on top of the water, working the kite will get you on the foil. The marginal winds I'm kiting in are around 6-10 knots measured onshore with a reasonably steady cross onshore seabreeze.

I have been using a higher aspect SABfoil W800 front wing which is easier to pump and gives excellent glide which helps in the lulls. I also find that small kites when worked hard in a figure eight or looping give a decent amount of sustained power and speed to get up on a high aspect foil. 21m lines work well for me in a wide range of wind speeds whereas a shorter 14m lineset on small kites require a steadier wind speed with minimal lulls.

However nothing is perfect and last week on a day with variable winds I managed to get going on my 4m Peak5 in under 10 knots and followed that wind into a lull which was lower than I could keep the kite flying in, (3 to 4 knots). Once you're in the water your minimal drift has to be subtracted from your wind speed and although I could get the kite back into launch position, I just didn't have enough wind to get it off the water. My foil had taken off to the shore and a 250m swim was required :(

However the Peaks are quick to pack down and after I reached the shore I laid it out, there were virtually no bridle tangles, launched the kite and went back out in wind which had strengthened a couple of knots and had a good session. First swim of the season and completely my fault. Could have been a swim for most kites given how light the wind was. Lesson? Send someone else out first :D

palmbeacher
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Gear: Lift foils + Cabrinha kites

Postby palmbeacher » Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 am

lifeinthehood wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:12 am
Just wanted to update this post. I have been here in Progreso, Mexico since early Jan. The wind has generally on the mild side, 10-14 knots. There were El Norte storms every 1-2 weeks which would bring in 18 knot winds but there were also directly onshore and created big disorganized waves which made foiling a non starter for me, so I usually twin tipped on those days.

Now that it’s March, El Nortes are finally ending and we’re getting some pretty consistent side onshore winds starting right around noon, about 12-16 knots. People here say we’re entering the best 2 months of kiting in Progeso. In the last week, I have been able foil every single day. Coincidentally, about a week ago, strapless foiling clicked for me and it really jump started my progression.

As a result as finally getting comfortable on foil, I have been trying with smaller and smaller kites. I am shocked at how low I can go. In this last week I had two fantastic sessions on a 3.7 Cloud with 14-15 knots. Was able to use my 4.8 down to about 10 knots. Now I’m wondering if I might actually be able use my 2.8 if we can get a few days of 18 knot winds.
How are you liking Progreso? It is a place I'd like to visit. Do you feel this is a place you would go back to every year for extended periods?

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:55 pm

drsurf wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 3:50 am
Bearing in mind my weight is 67kg, it is amazing how low I can go with small kites. The largest kite i use is a 5m Peak5 and I much prefer my smaller kites, 4m Peak5 and 3.5m & 2.5m Hybrids. The difference in wind speed required between the 4m & 5m Peak5 is only 1 or 2 knots and the key capability required is to be able to get you out of the water. If the kite can get you and the board on top of the water, working the kite will get you on the foil. The marginal winds I'm kiting in are around 6-10 knots measured onshore with a reasonably steady cross onshore seabreeze.

I have been using a higher aspect SABfoil W800 front wing which is easier to pump and gives excellent glide which helps in the lulls. I also find that small kites when worked hard in a figure eight or looping give a decent amount of sustained power and speed to get up on a high aspect foil. 21m lines work well for me in a wide range of wind speeds whereas a shorter 14m lineset on small kites require a steadier wind speed with minimal lulls.

However nothing is perfect and last week on a day with variable winds I managed to get going on my 4m Peak5 in under 10 knots and followed that wind into a lull which was lower than I could keep the kite flying in, (3 to 4 knots). Once you're in the water your minimal drift has to be subtracted from your wind speed and although I could get the kite back into launch position, I just didn't have enough wind to get it off the water. My foil had taken off to the shore and a 250m swim was required :(

However the Peaks are quick to pack down and after I reached the shore I laid it out, there were virtually no bridle tangles, launched the kite and went back out in wind which had strengthened a couple of knots and had a good session. First swim of the season and completely my fault. Could have been a swim for most kites given how light the wind was. Lesson? Send someone else out first :D
I'm 195 lbs / 88 kg with a Lift 170 surf front wing. Steady 12kn is the low end for my 5m Peak 4 (20m lines), and 13kn is the sweet spot for me.

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:27 am

palmbeacher wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:50 am
lifeinthehood wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:12 am

How are you liking Progreso? It is a place I'd like to visit. Do you feel this is a place you would go back to every year for extended periods?
It’s great for kiting. Food is good, people are super nice, and it’s very safe here. Not sure I would come back every year but only because my plan is to travel and see more places every year. Mexico was a good starting point for my first winter post-retirement.

Return to “Hydrofoil”