North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing
Brand Affiliation: None

Starting to Jump wing advise

Postby glfmkg » Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:48 pm

Hi All,

Now that I have mastered the foil and gybes (both ways) I want to start jumping - I can jump very well on a twin tip but want to add that to my foiling sessions. I'm still fairly new on the foil with about 28 sessions, but I now have pretty good control of the foil and gybes including looping both ways. I'm not working of foot switches!

I have a Moses T65, Moses 633W and a 91cm mast. This has been a dream to learn on for sure. So here is the question to you, I understand that the 633 front wing is not the ideal wing to start jumping and I wanted to make the process as easiest and safe as possible.

Should I just start jumping with the 633 and current setup or would you recommend moving to another wing? If so, what wing would you recommend for my skill level and weight (220lb)?

I have people telling me to start on the 633 but it would be challenging on landing? well that's not good me thinks lol. Anyways, please let me know your thoughts. I would prefer to stay with Moses as I have already invested on this system but I understand that I may need a different fuselage for other wings.

Any advise would be appreciated.
Thanks,
G.
These users thanked the author glfmkg for the post:
assimomitisn (Sat Jul 01, 2023 6:29 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Re: Starting to Jump wing advise

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Oct 04, 2022 5:14 am

These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
glfmkg (Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:21 pm)

glfmkg
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 220
Local Beach: White Rock, BC, Canada
Favorite Beaches: White Rock, BC
Squamish, BC
Nitinaht Lake, BC, Vancouver Island
Crescent Beach, BC
Boundary Bay, BC
Tsawwassen, BC
Nanaimo, BC
Style: Freestyle, Big Air, Foiling
Gear: Kites:
Airush Ultra 7m, 9m, 12m, 14m
Airush Wave 7m
Airush Lift 9m
Naish Pivot 12m
OR Rise A-Series 12m

Boards:
North Atmos 141
Ocean Rodeo Mako 165
Cabrinha Spectrum 144
Moses T65 Foling Board with a 633W front wing

Postby glfmkg » Wed May 03, 2023 11:23 pm

Well it took a while to find the guts to sent the kite and start boosting.... here is my experience:

- I kept my equipment (advise I got from here); it may not be ideal, but it works very well to start. Yes the 633 is big, but I had no problem sending it. I do have a 590 but have not been able to try it yet.
- I started with a 12m in a 12/14 knot day. I was well powered, I could have used a 9m but I wanted the safety of big more hang time as I'm heavy and normally at 220lb a 9m is challenged holding my weight
- I got a bit speed, locked into a small wave in the horizon and send the kite as I approached it, pushed with the back foot like I would normally pop in a twin tip and bam! I was up flying!
- I tried no to do much in the air, just sheet in and enjoy, including sending the kite as I wanted to avoid a fast landing. Yes I risked the kite to overfly me, but I was using a Airush Ultra which is nearly impossible to overfly
- I landed well and sunk a bit, probably because I didn't send the kite back down, however that made a very safe landing and made me feel comfortable with the landing - did not get off my board, dove the kite back down and was riding again!
- I did about 20 jumps more the same day. I was amazed that at 220lb, in 12/14 knots I was jumping 3-4 meters like with no effort! The speed and the ability to go upwind and create tension in the lines is really mind-blowing.
- I found it a lot easier that I though it would be. I was expecting massive crashes and in all honesty I was fearful of jumping with a 91cm mast and a big knife under my legs! but it actually felt a lot easier than learning to jump in a twin tip ~ probably because I master jumping on the twin tip (I can jump consistently over 10 meters), but for some reason I though the foil will be a lot harder!
- I do have to thank my buddy James who got me into foiling (best decision I made at 220lb as it opened countless session I would be sitting at the beach) and gave me a lot of tips and encouragement to learn and lots of tips along the way including how to jump.

I have 51 sessions on a foil and I learned how to gybe both ways with loops or not and ride well toe side on both stances. I have not been able to consistently switch feet after my gybes and I currently working on that! not easy! lol

This journey continues for me, but as always if you have advice or tips to keep progressing in my jumping journey, please let me know.

Cheers,
G.

FLandOBX
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 81 kg
Local Beach: Hatteras Island, North Carolina, USA
Central Florida, USA
Style: Freeride, Airstyle, Hydrofoil
Gear: Cab. Apollos, Cab. Contra One-Struts, FS Speed 4, FS Souls, Axis Ltd 132, RRD Poison 135, SS Ankle Biter, Moses 633, 679 & 590, SS Dwarfcraft 100cm, LF Galaxy 4'2"

Postby FLandOBX » Thu May 04, 2023 1:06 am

glfmkg wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 11:48 pm
....I have a Moses T65, Moses 633W and a 91cm mast. This has been a dream to learn on for sure. So here is the question to you, I understand that the 633 front wing is not the ideal wing to start jumping and I wanted to make the process as easiest and safe as possible.

Should I just start jumping with the 633 and current setup or would you recommend moving to another wing? If so, what wing would you recommend for my skill level and weight (220lb)?

I have people telling me to start on the 633 but it would be challenging on landing? ....
I jump with a Moses 633 and a 91cm mast. I'm 180 lbs.

My advice is to start jumping with the gear you already have. Landing with the 633 is fairly tame, because the wing's large area softens the impact. You'll find that boosting on a hydrofoil isn't as jarring as boosting on a twintip. The caveat to this advice is that, at 220 lbs, you'll be stressing your gear more than I stress mine, so use your kite to cushion your landings (e.g., land with the kite more overhead). Once you're comfortable with the process of boosting on the foil, you can move to a smaller faster wing and take it to the next level. :thumb:
These users thanked the author FLandOBX for the post:
glfmkg (Thu May 04, 2023 3:39 pm)

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu May 04, 2023 8:35 pm

Keep in mind that moses tends to break once you get more aggressive with your jumps..
I have broken stabs, wings and masts still laying in garage, in case someone needs them :-)
If you insist on continuint using it, I suggest at least to use a smaller area wings to ease the load on the mast.
longer term you probably want to get a dedicated jumping rig..
take a look if you can get a hold of AV8.. it did not get much love due to not being super stable at low speeds so shops were selling it new for 800$ for full carbon rig... that's less than you moses mast :-)
it's super sturdy, well made and great for big air boosting..
339733172_549876397131148_5493247672691846196_n.jpg

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:28 pm

I wouldn't jump on 633 wing ..my go to combo is 111 and 607 but I'm 70kg..no issues after 1000s of jumps..i have done a few jumps 633 and 800 wings but if you are beginner u'll stress the mast fuse joint as u'r landing are sloppy. Moses 1 series masts are my favourite as they are super light and cheap. Grabed 111 as new for $750 now I have 2. Longer mast give more leverage and pop but may not be the best if yu are heavy. I do have 101 but prefer 111 as it's super stiff extra length helps when boosting 30kts where the waves are pretty high. problem with latest gear is they are made for suf style or winging and I find too heavy and clunky.

sonny2727
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: St Kilda
Gear: Duotone,Kauper, Ozone, Shinn, Flysurfer, Moses, Axis,Slingshot
Reo,Edge,Rebel,R1,
Sonic,Peak4,Soul,
Falcon

Postby sonny2727 » Fri May 05, 2023 9:33 pm

Just forget to add one thing about kites...Foil kites give you extra float and soft landings so reduce stress on gear..15M soul is great for light wind learning (10-15kts)..high wind (20-35 kts) you need lei and helli loops ..

Return to “Hydrofoil”