Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

My Take On A Control Bar For Foiling

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
OzBungy
Very Frequent Poster

Re: My Take On A Control Bar For Foiling

Postby OzBungy » Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:01 am

Could you come back to us when you've finished your bar and post a picture of the bits that are unique?

All the splice this, bury that, screw in the end, pull through is just mechanics. None of it make much difference to the end result. I'm not so interested that I want to read all the verbage about the process.

I have done a fair bit of bar modification, and the steps are vaguely similar to what you describe. The main feature of the end result is a very long travel trimmer With bar throw and trimmer combined I have about a metre of depower. It is surprising how useful that large trim range is when dealing with incoming sea breezes and increased apparent wind during upwind runs.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Sat Oct 15, 2022 8:39 am

Nak wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 2:15 am
Nelis wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 1:41 pm
Your Sentry Y Line Splitter can be made out of rope. Credits for this idea belong to Evan. He makes a very neat version out of a single piece of rope using a sewing machine. I recreated it using 2 pieces of rope and brummel lock splices, explanation in 6th post here: viewtopic.php?f=107&t=2411390&start=30

I make use of a lightweight thimble because my bars still have a trim option, but you can do without offcourse. My latest foil bar has below the bar trim, also with the idea of not having any weight above the bar, which I almost never use, or maybe finetuning for a specific kite while on the beach is nice to have te option. Also note a trim can be made rope based, but haven't ventured into that yet.
The Y splitter only weighs 17 grams, so I'd rather have a robust safety system. I just don't think a 12 gram difference will make a noticeable difference for free ride... Also, I have flown my UFOs in all sorts of conditions and have not missed the trim at all. I've flown all sizes except the 9m with this bar. I prefer to have a single rope and less resistance to bar input than two ropes through the bar would entail.
Agreed, is negligible in terms of weight. The rope based splitter is robust though; works reliable at all line loads. If you don’t use trim, your depower line would be single. Mine is double (but reduced diameter) because of the BTB cleat location. My ATB cleat bar is single depower line as well.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:21 am

OzBungy wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 6:01 am
Could you come back to us when you've finished your bar and post a picture of the bits that are unique?

All the splice this, bury that, screw in the end, pull through is just mechanics. None of it make much difference to the end result. I'm not so interested that I want to read all the verbage about the process.

I have done a fair bit of bar modification, and the steps are vaguely similar to what you describe. The main feature of the end result is a very long travel trimmer With bar throw and trimmer combined I have about a metre of depower. It is surprising how useful that large trim range is when dealing with incoming sea breezes and increased apparent wind during upwind runs.
OK, have to laugh just a little bit. :lol: Yes, here in the Gorge the wind is always rock steady and I'm completely unfamiliar with changing wing conditions. LMFAO. I'm not sure what those mid 50s gusts were today and why I didn't need a meter of depower. LOL. Some kites need that depower, some don't. Is this not obvious?

Perhaps you need to read the post again, or just move on by? There are no "unique bits." Was this not obvious? Should I have spelled it out for you better? This was simply my take. I kept all the factory bits and weight that I carried, and eliminated extra weight and drag that the kite carried. The mechanics are important to those who might want to replicate this bar, not to those who need a meter of depower. Again, was this not obvious? I'm curious why you didn't scroll on by? Ahh, I get it. You just need to add your little bit in that is meaningless to this post. Carry on.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Sun Oct 16, 2022 2:26 am

windmaker wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 5:46 am
Peter_Frank wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 7:32 pm
Nice bar :thumb:

But assume you are just making fun, saying:

The difference in flying the kite is just phenomenal! The kite is more reactive, flies better over powered, flies better under powered, flies faster through the window, goes upwind better, goes downwind better, and hangs in the air better in bad lulls.

As there wont be any difference whatsoever, if the lines are the same, and weight can be kept just as low and lower with "minimalist" bars, even if you use a heavier QR like yours (I do myself too).

But yes, I understand you love your bar and feel for it, so you "feel" it flies better - just like a board with a colour you like, surfs better :rollgrin:

8) Peter
:thumb: Perceived improvement :D
Perhaps you should either re-read the original post, or read my reply to Mr. Frank before you add your rather irrelevant post? Mr. Frank made an intelligent post based off of missing a rather large point in my original post. This was an understandable oversight. You OTH, had the opportunity to read my reply before making a reply. You might want to do that? Or not.

Return to “Hydrofoil”