JoseTumaco
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Local Beach: Tumaco Colombia
Favorite Beaches: Colombia Santa Lucía
Colombia Cabo de la Vela
Style: Foil and TT
Gear: Soul 12m, Moses 679/600/550. Ozone Enduro 9 M. Dice 9m. Edge 11m. Hiperlink 12 M. TT 1.43.
Brand Affiliation: None

Mast for jumping in foil

Postby JoseTumaco » Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 am

Wich length of mast is better for jumping in foiling? I am 70 kg and foil in 91 cm mast 4 years ago, never tried other. I use race wing.

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Re: Mast for jumping in foil

Postby vol » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:20 am

most foils are too weak for jumps.... even race foil's construction is minimized to reduce the drag and is way too weak for jumps...
Unfortunately but all my friends who freestyle-jumps with wings or kites have broken all foils, some do not care because they are sponsored...
maybe the latest foils like fanatic look pretty solid and strong

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:29 am

Sabfoil says their kraken masts up to 90cm are ok to jump with.
The 100cm mast is made for racing and won’t be sturdy enough according to their own website.

I would guess the longer the mast the better for jumping since you can possibly carry more speed but I think most longer masts are more fragile since they tend to cater to racing with the longer masts.
Not saying it isn’t possible just that you run a higher risk of breaking stuff.

Surfkiternew
Medium Poster
Gear: All

Postby Surfkiternew » Tue Oct 18, 2022 9:38 am

60 70 75 80

deniska
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Plumb Beach
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Gear: FS, Core

Postby deniska » Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:24 am

https://adventuresportsusa.com/products ... hQQAvD_BwE
can't beat this price
you can get a matching carbon board for another 400 or just an adapter to mount on rail connectors.. i think sroka one will fit.
It seems pretty sturdy.. so far it survived 100s of jumps and recently hitting submerged poll at full speed (i got a nasty ding though)
it takes 30minutes to get used to riding it.. but it's pretty fast and boosts to the moon..

vol
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Tarifa Spain
Favorite Beaches: Tarifa Spain, Prassonisi Rhodes, Brazil Taiba-Cumbucu-Paracuru
Style: hydrofoil, bigair, freestyle
Gear: Saul Custom Boards

Postby vol » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:11 pm

deniska wrote:
Thu Oct 20, 2022 4:24 am
https://adventuresportsusa.com/products ... hQQAvD_BwE
can't beat this price
you can get a matching carbon board for another 400 or just an adapter to mount on rail connectors.. i think sroka one will fit.
It seems pretty sturdy.. so far it survived 100s of jumps and recently hitting submerged poll at full speed (i got a nasty ding though)
it takes 30minutes to get used to riding it.. but it's pretty fast and boosts to the moon..
I see in my eyes how this thinny fuselage cracking in half after the firs landing

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Oct 20, 2022 8:36 pm

This thread might be confusing now...

Some says 60-80 cm, others says as long as possible.

Personally I believe the last, just like Deniska, he uses long masts, and it is possible to ride faster and edge harder and jump extremely high, like he does :thumb:

Of course there is a tradeoff with longer masts being softer, unless extremely well made.

Which should be the only reason to go shorter, if you have a soft and not as high quality mast, IMO :naughty:

I think your 91 cm might be a perfect length for you.

8) Peter

cor
Very Frequent Poster
Gear: -

Postby cor » Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:50 pm

JoseTumaco wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 3:09 am
Wich length of mast is better for jumping in foiling? I am 70 kg and foil in 91 cm mast 4 years ago, never tried other. I use race wing.
It depends on where you are at with jumping. If you are just starting to boost and do some smaller jumps you can go easily with a 91cm or even smaller as some suggested here.

But to go really big (10m-20m), you need speed and edge harder. That´s when you will soon hit the limit with those smaller masts and you´ll need 100cm or more. It makes a huge difference.

I prefer Masts with 105-110 cm for big air because I simply do no see any huge benefits in smaller masts. Yeah, maybe they are a bit more sturdy, but I´ve jumped on different >100cm masts for several years now and never had any problem.

Also, when it comes to breaking masts, It´s not the mast that´s the main problem here. It´s kite control. Of course, if you let yourself drop like a stone every time, any mast will break, also the smaller ones. Heliloops and kites with good hangtime will help drastically to soften those landings and help avoid damage to your foil.

Return to “Hydrofoil”