Brand Affiliation: None

Re: My new pocketboard - Naish Hover Microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:35 pm

Kamikuza wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 11:09 am
IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:51 pm
it was something shocking like US$450.
I thought about getting a DC locally before the exchange rates tanked... it was $1600 then :lol: I'm thinking a custom board would be better for that sort of money :o
Assuming you're in NZ - don't you have a local distributor? Mine was $500 AUD thru a local Naish shop. The Kiwi $ can't be that bad can it?

Btw - November delivery (apparently). I pre-ordered 6 months ago, pretty sure they'd be sold out now. But you could try an aussie shop that might be willing to ship.
These users thanked the author Oldman_Dave for the post:
patrelsa (Tue Oct 25, 2022 1:16 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:16 am

Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:35 pm
Kamikuza wrote:
IWantToFly wrote:
Sat Oct 22, 2022 6:51 pm
it was something shocking like US$450.
I thought about getting a DC locally before the exchange rates tanked... it was $1600 then :lol: I'm thinking a custom board would be better for that sort of money :o
Assuming you're in NZ - don't you have a local distributor? Mine was $500 AUD thru a local Naish shop. The Kiwi $ can't be that bad can it?

Btw - November delivery (apparently). I pre-ordered 6 months ago, pretty sure they'd be sold out now. But you could try an aussie shop that might be willing to ship.
No, not in NZ. Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve tell you that perchance? Gnnnnn... Steve...
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Fatso (Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

a99
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: North, SabMoses, Flysurfer, Liquid Force, Blade, Xenon.

Postby a99 » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:03 am

it is such big demand for small boards, i can't understand why main companies cannot supply them for market, as now small boards are very rare and very expensive.

Nelis
Medium Poster
Weight: 74kg
Local Beach: de Zuid, Scheveningen
Favorite Beaches: Texas City, TX
Hoek van Holland, NL
Denia/Oliva, ES
Style: Hydrofoil & TT
Gear: Ozone Alpha 6m v1, 8m v2, 10m v1
FS Soul 10m
Dwarfcraft Micro 3'6" w. Levitaz Cruizer pro
OR Mako 150

Postby Nelis » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:08 pm

Is it that big tough? Kitefoiling is a niche, and kitefoiling on pocket boards even more. I think suppliers are just super cautious not to keep too much stock.

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:40 pm

I've had the microchip this past summer, and it is just big enough for my stance, and just wide enough to have my feet off center for left/right leverage. It's harder the ride, and not because of the size. It has no rocker, so no margin for touchdown error and water starts require a more sudden adjustment to level out. Not a board I want to ride in the open ocean, for my skill level.

I attach my foils using a Noir Matter Quickflight, and had an issue with this board. The Quickflight requires the board be flat, very flat. The area behind the tracks on the microchip it isn't sanded flat, it flares up. So the baseplate of the quickflight cannot slide all the way back. When I brought up this issue to Naish they replied "It seems the plate he is using requires a specific feature that normal mounting options don’t require. In that case - this would not be an accepted warranty as there isn’t anything wrong with our board."

Steve

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:30 pm

Maybe someone can confirm but the microchip was born from the Naish inflatable foilboard. The microchip is the glassed and painted pvc foil mount normally bonded to the bottom of the inflatable board.
And anyone keen on a custom pvc core pocket board, check out Carbonco, our local shaper here in Oz. Mitch does nice work and builds an almost indestructible kitefoil board.

lifeinthehood
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2021
Weight: 72 kg
Local Beach: Hood River
Style: Freeride
Gear: BRM Cloud 2.8/3.7/4.8/6.2. Ocean Rodeo A-Roam 8m. Cloud CCS. Kanaha Shapes 42"/MFC 1000/200/92cm. Slingshot Hopecraft/PFH657/325/102cm.

Postby lifeinthehood » Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:35 pm

geokite wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:40 pm
I've had the microchip this past summer, and it is just big enough for my stance, and just wide enough to have my feet off center for left/right leverage. It's harder the ride, and not because of the size. It has no rocker, so no margin for touchdown error and water starts require a more sudden adjustment to level out. Not a board I want to ride in the open ocean, for my skill level.

I attach my foils using a Noir Matter Quickflight, and had an issue with this board. The Quickflight requires the board be flat, very flat. The area behind the tracks on the microchip it isn't sanded flat, it flares up. So the baseplate of the quickflight cannot slide all the way back. When I brought up this issue to Naish they replied "It seems the plate he is using requires a specific feature that normal mounting options don’t require. In that case - this would not be an accepted warranty as there isn’t anything wrong with our board."

Steve
Seems like a fair response from Naish. Question: would it work if you reversed the QF plate orientation so that you're snapping in the mast forwards instead of backwards?

EDIT: Just looked at my Microchip and it looks pretty flat behind the tracks all the way to the edge, at least to my eye.

Oldman_Dave
Frequent Poster
Gear: Foiling only.
Single Strut: Mono, Alpha, Airush coming
Foil: Nova 10m, Peak 4 - 3m to 6m
Triiton T1, Axis HPS700 & HPS930
CarbonCo Nang, Axis Tray94, Naish microchip

Postby Oldman_Dave » Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:34 pm

geokite wrote:
Both of these issues are solved by the Triton T1, which I plan to use mine with. It's been set up by the creators so that you ride the board a few degrees nose up (unless you shim it out). I bounce my current 80cm board off the ocean all the time without ever catching a lip, it's a great feature. Likewise water starts are the "flattest" of any foil I've ridden, the wing just goes smoothly where you point it, no up/down action as it comes on the foil. Fingers crossed the microchip and the T1 will be the ultimate pairing... :thumb:

geokite
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Silver Strand, Mission Bay
Favorite Beaches: Sherman, Belmont
Style: Surf, Foil
Gear: Avoid the Triton foil board, made by Newind!

B: [Firewire SP, Kanaha MM, Triton] F: [Lift, Triton, Axis] K: [Kitech, Gin]

Postby geokite » Mon Oct 24, 2022 11:53 pm

lifeinthehood wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 9:35 pm
geokite wrote:

Steve
Seems like a fair response from Naish. Question: would it work if you reversed the QF plate orientation so that you're snapping in the mast forwards instead of backwards?

EDIT: Just looked at my Microchip and it looks pretty flat behind the tracks all the way to the edge, at least to my eye.
The QF plate, if reversed, would be relying on a tiny screw to keep the mast from sliding backward. Not ideal.

On my Microchip, you can see a difference in the sanding pattern at the back of the board, and feel the surface ramp up past the tracks.

It doesn't take much to make the QF plate bend. For instance on my Kanaha board, my Lift mast may appear flat but the QF shows it is not (the two plates have resistance to slide together). My Cedrus mast slides on effortlessly.
Last edited by geokite on Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fatso
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 85 to 100
Local Beach: Edinburgh
Kohilari
Style: Surf
Gear: Ozone Reo V5 9m

Postby Fatso » Tue Oct 25, 2022 12:03 am

Kamikuza wrote:
Mon Oct 24, 2022 10:16 am
Oldman_Dave wrote:
Sun Oct 23, 2022 10:35 pm
Kamikuza wrote:

No, not in NZ. Where did you get that preposterous hypothesis? Did Steve tell you that perchance? Gnnnnn... Steve...
A man of culture I see, good day sir.

Return to “Hydrofoil”