Duotone Juice Dlab 13 VS Ozone Hyperlink 13

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
diogoveb
Rare Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Duotone Juice Dlab 13 VS Ozone Hyperlink 13

Postby diogoveb » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:24 pm

Hi,

Can I assume that a 13 Hyperlink has a significant better low end than a 13 Juice Dlab? Thanks.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Re: Duotone Juice Dlab 13 VS Ozone Hyperlink 13

Postby leeuwen » Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:48 pm

Disclaimer: I don’t own or used either kite.
However, I do have a 11m Kauper Falcon foil kite and a 10m Aluula roam.

In my experience the power per m2 for a foil kite vs aluula is slightly in favor of the foil kite but the difference isn’t that significant.

Relaunch in calm flat water is significantly easier with the foil kite in my experience though.

For me: I go with the foil kite unless; riding waves, potential rain, or in unstable winds (gusty abrupt direction changes)

The Juice is a bit of a different kite design compared to my roam, higher aspect but also a lot heavier so your miles may vary a bit….

Breze
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Weight: 90kg
Style: Foiling
Gear: Foils&Tubes

Postby Breze » Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:41 pm

leeuwen is spot on!
Buddies of our foil crew ride 3 13m Juice Dlabs, one 13m HL3, 2 13m Juice 2020 ( the light ones), 2 11m Juice 2020, several Souls 15, 12m 10m... All weights are btw 85-93 kg. Most of them are on Moses 679. Gusty inland wind.
Difference btw the 13m Dlabs and the 13m HL3 on 14!m lines is not that big, on 18m lines a bit more but not that significant.
One dude owned both 13m Dlab and 13m HL3, he sold the HL although he took the HL if it was really low. But didn`t got warm with the HL( swimming, slow turning, not used to foils) He now uses a light, cheap, one trick pony Kauper Nerio 15m .
The Dlab Juice shines in stronger gusty wind, eg 8 gusting to 18(22), powered foiling with a lot of boosting. The stiff frame works well in these conditions.
The 2020 Juices in 11 and 13m does the job also very good. Cheaper and longer lasting.
These users thanked the author Breze for the post:
nothing2seehere (Wed Nov 09, 2022 12:42 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Wed Nov 09, 2022 2:25 pm

Breze wrote:
Tue Nov 08, 2022 9:41 pm
leeuwen is spot on!
One dude owned both 13m Dlab and 13m HL3, he sold the HL although he took the HL if it was really low. But didn`t got warm with the HL( swimming, slow turning, not used to foils) He now uses a light, cheap, one trick pony Kauper Nerio 15m .
Hi Breze,

curious: why do you think the Nerio to be a "one trick pony"?

I own a 13m (should have got a 15m at 110Kg...), but find it quite a nice kite, resambling a bit foil kites in behaviour. It's pretty fast for the size, and relaunches in unexpectedly light winds.
My use has been in the 7-10 knots range. Does it get worse in higher ranges? Or do you feel some other limitation I haven't stumbled upon as yet?

Other question: as you (or your buddies) seem to have direct experience, would you recommend flying larger kites on shorter lines?
I was thinking of making a 62cm bar with 15m lines for the 17m (gong) and 13m (Nerio). I know I would lose a lot of pull through the window, but I'd probably be able to recover some through faster continuous looping during waterstart. And – especially for the GONG – I'd love the faster movement during manouvers.

Thank you!

P.S.
apologies: don't want to feel like I hijacked the conversation... :roll:
I never had "exactly" sized foils & pumps at the same time, but I haven't felt much difference between my owned foil kites (Peak and Kitech FRS) and pump kites of comparable size (Strutless, Ultra, Nerio).
Am actually of the impression that my Strutless 17 is more powerful than my previous Kitech 15m UL. The Gong is more powerful during waterstart as it is quicker in the air, and it makes lots of apparent wind too (but much lower range). The Nerio at 13m seems to get me going later than what the Kitech could though.
There surely are difference with specific kites, but here people seem convinced that, for power, Foil Kite (m) = Pump Kite (m+2). I don't believe this to be true.
And given how little energy is there in ultra light winds, I myself would switch kite type of same size only if I were looking for a different kite behaviour and/or relaunch.
When I'm unable to start on the 13m Nerio, I can't imagine a 13m foild that would do the trick. I'd simply switch to a 15/18m foil, or in practice, to my 17m GONG. :thumb:

Return to “Hydrofoil”