Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

One strut kite: low end vs size

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: One strut kite: low end vs size

Postby Peter_Frank » Thu Nov 17, 2022 7:18 pm

If you want to go low, 25 liter and 135 cm sounds right, won't feel big and clumsy but great for everything.

You could go lower with an even bigger board, but then it won't be fun when wind picks up and you have to change boards.

8) Peter

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Fri Nov 18, 2022 6:01 pm

vitaum wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:31 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:37 pm
vitaum wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:40 pm
for a 70kg rider (beginner/intermediate) with a moses w590, what is the sweet spot size for low end with an one strut kite?
I have a contra 9m one strut and been thinking about getting a 11m to ride in lower winds, do you guys think that I will benefit with this increase in size? Or the low end gain will be marginal?
Sorry for asking this here, I am trying to get a demo but it is really rare to have one here in Brazil near my place
Thanks!
Yes - Getting the Contra 1S 11m will make a difference. You can't go wrong with the Contra 1S. It's a great kite. Having a slightly larger front foil wing will also help your performance in even less wind. PM me if you need a contact in Brazil. Cabrinha have a large presence there. Take care and rip it up!
Thanks man! The local cabrinha dealer doesn´t have a 11m for me to demo, but it is fine, I think I am convinced and will order one!
I still have a cabrinha 13m on my quiver, how do you think it will compare to the 11m for foiling (for tt I am sure it will be better)? Sometimes it just feels too heavy...
If you are at the absolute threshold low end for wind, the 11m will feel better on foil. The 11m is substantially lighter due to two less struts, bladders, inflation connection, 2-plys on the struts, etc., plus it's 2m less material and a smaller amount of LE material all versus the 13m. Powered up, the 13m is great on a TT and can handle a decent amount of breeze. 13m is also fun riding powered on a foil.

Cab Driver
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Gear: Cabrinha
Brand Affiliation: Cabrinha

Postby Cab Driver » Thu Dec 01, 2022 3:39 pm

vitaum wrote:
Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:31 pm
Cab Driver wrote:
Thu Nov 10, 2022 6:37 pm
vitaum wrote:
Wed Nov 09, 2022 8:40 pm
for a 70kg rider (beginner/intermediate) with a moses w590, what is the sweet spot size for low end with an one strut kite?
I have a contra 9m one strut and been thinking about getting a 11m to ride in lower winds, do you guys think that I will benefit with this increase in size? Or the low end gain will be marginal?
Sorry for asking this here, I am trying to get a demo but it is really rare to have one here in Brazil near my place
Thanks!
Yes - Getting the Contra 1S 11m will make a difference. You can't go wrong with the Contra 1S. It's a great kite. Having a slightly larger front foil wing will also help your performance in even less wind. PM me if you need a contact in Brazil. Cabrinha have a large presence there. Take care and rip it up!
Thanks man! The local cabrinha dealer doesn´t have a 11m for me to demo, but it is fine, I think I am convinced and will order one!
I still have a cabrinha 13m on my quiver, how do you think it will compare to the 11m for foiling (for tt I am sure it will be better)? Sometimes it just feels too heavy...
They are very different kites. The 13 works well powered on a foil, but the 11m works in the kind of wind that you would normally want to stay home and wash your car. 13m also is pretty epic on a twin tip and is a nice jumper. They are just different and aimed at different types of light wind riding.

RadDrDuke
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 75kg
Local Beach: Stuart, Florida
Favorite Beaches: Cabarete
Style: Surf > Foil > TT
Gear: Duotone Unit 5m V2, OR Glide Hybrid 5m, Airush Ultra 9m, Axis Foils, LF Moon patrol TT, Wainman kite surfboard, Fanatic 75L wingboard

Postby RadDrDuke » Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:02 pm

Problem with an 11m is it becomes overpowered very rapidly with foils. I never go bigger than a 9m ultra and the lowend with a quick kiteloop to start is incredible.

Kiterisland1
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Gear: Naish, airush, slingshot

Postby Kiterisland1 » Fri Dec 09, 2022 3:25 pm

RadDrDuke wrote:
Thu Dec 08, 2022 6:02 pm
Problem with an 11m is it becomes overpowered very rapidly with foils. I never go bigger than a 9m ultra and the lowend with a quick kiteloop to start is incredible.
What I wonder is how much gain do you get in the low end with a 9m ultra over say a 9m pivot or enduro. Is the low end the same, the only benefit of the single strut being it’s easier to keep in the air under 10kts?

The 9m pivot or enduro is just so much more useable, and has a better high end.

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:00 pm

Low end will be better for foiling not necessarily for twintip.
Lighter kite means faster kite, especially in the up stroke where the kite also needs to fight gravity.
Faster means you can get a higher power spike which usually is the limiting factor for getting on the foil.
However static pull from parking the kite should not change much but that’s not super relevant when foiling.

Now how much difference this actually gives and how relevant that is for you is something you can only figure out by testing both preferably back to back (depends on skill, weight, foil, conditions etc)
However, especially beginner foilers will have a lot easier time with a one strut/light kite and not only in sub 10 knots. With things like jibes or just going downwind every bit helps to not end up with a swimming session or lots of (potentially difficult) relaunches.
Don’t forget it’s super easy to reduce apparent wind on the kite to pretty much zero just by pointing the foil downwind for a second something you need to do to learn jibes…

Return to “Hydrofoil”