A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Foil choice

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:39 am

Tinouch wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 5:50 am
Just bought again … a discount 91 ones + 633 front wing 1300 Canadian dollar new
It is a scent price for the foil
And not that much different from an all carbon gong

Gongs should be robust for sur but they don’t have a very high performance foil ?

Having said that I would be more than glad to try 633 or 799
Should be more mid aspect faster and turny

For gong, the company advised me for my characteristics
A fluid LS with a pro stab and a Carbon mast
Wotch was around 1200 euros with transportation
I think you are misunderstanding the point about Gong foils. They do not make cheapo, low quality foils - they simply have a direct to consumer marketing strategy that cuts out one (at least) of the mark ups on the product. Gong may now have a wider range of wings available than any other foil brand from the low aspect Rise to the ultra high aspect Ypra, and all available in a great range of different sizes. A complete carbon foil is available from as little as 750 euros. It's true that the latest Gong designs & construction in the "pro" models are not as inexpensive as the earlier Gong models. The latest Gong models are far ahead in design innovation compared to the 633, which is now several years old ... not to say that there is anything wrong with the 633 for its intended use.

The problem with Gong is their success in the marketplace has led to ongoing availability problems, which can be frustrating when you're trying to put together a package for purchase. One of the advantages of Gong is that not only is the initial purchase price low, but replacements or upgrades (when available!) are significantly cheaper than for other brands.

Tinouch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Aylmer
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Foiling
Gear: Naish boxer
Moses 633

Postby Tinouch » Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:54 am

thx for the comment
I never ride a gong set
can not have an opinion
they are indeed cheaper than other foils if you pay for the full price for other brands and the parts are also cheaper to replace
their design seems to me "classic" but the lineup is huge and somehow confusing
at my spot I don't see a lot of gong foil
would be glad to try one
concerning the 633, for the low wind it is steel imo one of the best, even if the trend is more medium aspect

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Dec 01, 2022 10:06 pm

Tinouch wrote:
Thu Dec 01, 2022 6:54 am
thx for the comment
I never ride a gong set
can not have an opinion
they are indeed cheaper than other foils if you pay for the full price for other brands and the parts are also cheaper to replace
their design seems to me "classic" but the lineup is huge and somehow confusing
at my spot I don't see a lot of gong foil
would be glad to try one
concerning the 633, for the low wind it is steel imo one of the best, even if the trend is more medium aspect
No question - a SAB foil with the 633 is still a great option, especially if you can get it at a good price. I think Gong's aggressive pricing has allowed them to capture a big chunk of the market and that has allowed them to expand to many different foil designs over the last couple years. I would be curious to know how the global sales figures of the various foil brands compare. In any case, my guess is that most of the sales are now oriented towards wing foiling.

tautologies
Very Frequent Poster

Postby tautologies » Fri Dec 02, 2022 1:58 am

Tinouch wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:44 pm
I am a 100 kg rider
Actually I ride for years with my Moses 633
I don’t like the 699 kraken
I keep my T38 board which I love
I have naish boxers 8-10-12-14
The mast could be Alu or Carbon not a such difference
I ride most of the time in a low wind spot 10-15 knots
On my spot we hit a lot the bottom because of the rocs

What would you choose for a foil set

With good acceptable versatility concerning :

Lift
Stability
Speed
Manoeuvrability
And a solide construction

Thx for your feedbacks

At your weight I would look at Naish surf jet foils. They have a ton of variations on foils, and they are interchangeable to switching wings is easy.

I think you can get anything from 1250 jet to the 1000 MA
I have landed on the 1050 Jet as my favorite. I have not tried the HA series kiting yet but think it could be good too.
If you go with something like the 1050 jet you will not really need a bigger kite ever than the 10...most probably not anything bigger than the 8 either...it planes super early and really the combo of small boxer with a larger foil is great for us heavier riders.

Tinouch
Rare Poster
Moses 633

Postby Tinouch » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:09 am

Agree

They gave nice foil set with innovative design

One of my friend has the naish jet 1200 MA for kiting
He is lighter than me

He loves kiting the low wind with this one with his UFO 9 or 11

Good lift nice speed and playful
He is around 80 kg

With a low wind 10 knots his 850 naish doesn’t work well

They are pricy too

But nice foils

grigorib
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Local Beach: OBX; Clinton Lake, IL; Lake Michigan; Hood River; La Ventana; Ocean Park, PR; SPI; Tawas, MI
Gear: Kites: Slingshot Rally 5/7/9/11m, Turbine 9/13m, SST 4/5m, UFO 3/5/7/9m, Flysurfer Speed4 10m standard, Flysurfer 2cool 6m, Peter Lynn Venom II ARC 16m

Boards: Spleene RIP 37, Flysurfer Radical6 138, Flysurfer Flydoor5 XL, Slingshot/Moses/RDB 70/90/101cm masts with 1200/860/800/730/600 kitefoil or 2200/1700/1400 wingfoil wings and 310/230/425 stabilizers, Naish MicroChip 80cm, 36" Woody, Slingshot Dwarfcraft Micro 100, MBS Comp 95x

For sale: Slingshot Turbine 9/13m, 20” Guardian bar, 1700 sq.cm wing/fuselage/stabilizer fitting Moses mast

Postby grigorib » Fri Dec 02, 2022 2:23 am

Tinouch wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 4:44 pm
Moses system is quite nice and any carbon doesn’t mix well with rocky bottom. I went from 633 to 683s/679 back in 2019, yet I’m a bit lighter rider. Later I moved back to Moses kite fuselage and all my wings - 600 cm² race, 730 cm² freeride and 1200 cm² lightwind, all match same fuselage. Again, they’re all carbon and I avoid rocks as much as I can. Not going to switch to Kraken and hoping old Moses masts will be available to be found around for few more years.

If you still have your ruined wings it might make sense to have a professional restore them. A guy in Gorge - Pierre, does an amazing job.

Tinouch
Rare Poster
Moses 633

Postby Tinouch » Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:15 am

I repair my wings myself with epoxy and sanding …
It is time consuming and sometimes the result is not perfect but functional… to hit the rocks again :)

Having said that I would be interested to have the address and mail of the repair shop in Gorge

Return to “Hydrofoil”