Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Any reviews of 2023 Slingshot Hope Craft or Travel Craft?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
martrench
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2005
Weight: 155 lbs (70 kg)
Gear: Kites: Flysurfer 10m Soul V2, 12m Sonic 4, Peak 5s, 5.5m Hybrid
Foil: Slingshot HopeCraft w/ Axis Spitfire 840
TTs: 134 Shinn Monk Chromatic, 154 CrazyFly Slicer
Brand Affiliation: None

Any reviews of 2023 Slingshot Hope Craft or Travel Craft?

Postby martrench » Sun Nov 27, 2022 11:33 pm

Anyone have a chance to ride these boards yet? I'm looking to downsize to a smaller board this season.

Thanks!

https://slingshotsports.com/products/ho ... foil-board

https://slingshotsports.com/products/tr ... foil-board

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Re: Any reviews of 2023 Slingshot Hope Craft or Travel Craft?

Postby IWantToFly » Mon Nov 28, 2022 8:08 am

These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
martrench (Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:37 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

martrench
Medium Poster

Postby martrench » Mon Nov 28, 2022 10:42 pm

Thanks for sharing this review. Sounds good...

"Nak: Slingshot 103 Hopecraft Review

I have ridden foil boards from Liquid Force, Kanaha Shapes and Slingshot. I’ve owned several boards from each, and currently own one KS board—the 47” model--and two Slingshot Dwarfcraft—a 120 and a 100. The 100 Dwarfcraft is currently my primary board, and I’ve ridden it quite a bit this season.

I was lucky enough to try the new foil board from Slingshot this last week—the 103 Hopecraft. This is the new high performance foil board from Slingshot due to be released any day. First off, let me say that I am not affiliated with Slingshot. The board was loaned to me, not given. I’ve already—sadly—returned the board. I was fortunate to meet Fred Hope and talk about the new board. It’s 103 cm long vs the 100 cm Dwarfcraft. It is about 3cm—I didn’t measure the width—narrower. It has more volume, 15L vs 11L, with significantly more volume in the nose compared to the 100 DC. The volume serves two purposes, it stiffens up the board and makes light wind water starts easier. There are considerably fewer inserts, but should still allow most any strap configuration. I personally ride with one front hook. The front insert placement allows the front hook to be placed about 3 or 4 cm further forward from the kick tail than the 100 DC. On the bottom the foil mount placement remains the same, although the entry notch is now at the rear of the tracks. This allows the T-nuts to be pre-installed on the mast before mounting on the board. The kick tail has a steeper angle than the old board, which makes it more prominent. There is no leash plug where as the 100 DC has a leash plug in the nose. I weighed my 100 Dwarfcraft and the Hopecraft; the Hopecraft came in about .3 pounds heavier. According to Fred, the 103 Hopecraft is stronger than the Dwarcraft and will withstand more of the kind of abuse riders like Fred Hope can dish out. That won’t be an issue with me LOL!

I’ll admit, I was skeptical about the new board being easier to waterstart in light winds. I thought the narrower width would overshadow the extra volume. I was also concerned that with the entry notch requiring a slightly more forward mast placement I wouldn’t be able to keep my rear foot against the kick tail pad—which is my preferred stance. I ride with my feet on the rails, and I assumed that the narrower width would be an issue as well. I was relieved of all concerns after riding the board.

I rode the board with a 6m UFO in conditions varying from floating in the water waiting for enough wind to start, up to the mid 20s steady state with gusts in to the 30s. I was riding a Phantasm 684 wing, a 92 Phantasm mast, a Stringy fuse along with a custom stabilizer. I weigh 185 pounds.

My very first impression on my first waterstart was “I like this board!” I was able to place my rear foot against the kick tail and put my toes under the hook, which is my preferred water foot placement. The more prominent angle on the kick tail made it easier to find and kick the board around. The more forward placement of the hook gave me more control and was a more comfortable stance. Later waterstarts in extremely light wind verified that light wind waterstarts were immensely improved over the 100 DC. I’d liken light wind water starting the Hopecraft to the 120 Dwarfcraft or the 47” Kanaha Shapes.
Once I was up on foil with my foot out of the hook, the board really came into it’s own. Linked turns became much faster. I could snap the board over quicker and more confidently. My turns became sharper and shorter. Very, very nice. After a time I noticed that I was having to make fewer minor corrections while riding and I was able to loosen up a bit. This had an immediate impact on rider fatigue. I work out my legs pretty hard on my bike 6 mornings a week, so I already have some leg burn going on when I start to kite. Typically, my legs start to tell me it’s time to quit about 15 miles into my foiling session. On my first ride on the Hopecraft I rode over 22 miles—even then I only quit because I was getting chilled. And that was after setting a personal record for both time and power output on my 11 mile bike ride that morning. So, better turns, better cruising, better water starts. Better. Much better.

One word about swing weight. I did not notice any difference between my 100 DC and the Hopecraft. You’d think I would because of the 3 cm length increase and the .3 pound weight increase. However, I think that maybe removing all of those inserts actually balanced the weight in the board better? This is only a guess on my part; all I know for sure is that I did not notice an increase in swing weight, and I could maneuver the Hopecraft faster due to the increased stiffness.

The 100 Dwarfcraft has been my favorite board all season. I love that board. This year I brought two boards to Baja, a Dwarcraft 100 and a bigger board for those sub 10 knot days. (I’m not going to say here if the big board was the 120 Dwarfcraft or the 47” Kanaha shapes—both of which are outstanding boards.) This year I’ll be bringing one—the 103 Hopecraft. As soon as I can lay hands on one, the Hopecraft will be the board I ride every day. ‘Nuff said.

EDITED TO ADD: Two things I forgot to mention. First, the 103 Hopecraft has less drag than the 100 DC during inadvertent touchdowns. It "bounces off" the water better whether you touchdown straight down or contact the side of a wave. Second, the 103 has a slightly more pronounced concave deck than the 100 DC."
These users thanked the author martrench for the post:
watercamper (Fri Dec 09, 2022 2:40 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

martrench
Medium Poster

Postby martrench » Thu Dec 08, 2022 11:20 pm

Just got in my new Hope Craft after reading the reviews.

I'm happy with my purchase so far - the extra volume in the nose helps bounced me back on foil after messing up :thumb:
Attachments
Hope_Craft_T1_mast_placement.jpg
Hope_Craft_T1_mast_placement.jpg (104.16 KiB) Viewed 1353 times
Hope_Craft_Triton_T1_combo.jpg
Hope_Craft_Triton_T1_combo.jpg (117.46 KiB) Viewed 1353 times

granit02
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 77 kg
Local Beach: Queens beach North Redcliffe Qld Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens Beach North Redcliffe Peninsula Queensland Australia
Style: kite foil and wing foil
Gear: Slingshot UFO V2 & V1, Slingwing V2, Javelin V1 Travelcraft V1 Wingcraft V2
Brand Affiliation: Slingshot Australia

Postby granit02 » Fri Dec 16, 2022 11:11 pm

Ok so I've had a couple of sessions on the Travelcraft V1, as a comparison I've been riding the Dwarfcraft 100 for two years.

First impressions count, mine was wow this little thing is fun. when rolling it up on its side you can feel the thickness but. being the same volume as the DC100 it had to go somewhere. it's thicker all over and I'm going to say just a bit thicker toward the nose.
Im riding it with a 102 cm mast and short fuse, the PTM front wing at 952 cm makes it lively.

If you have exceptionally big feet (greater than size 10 Australia) you might feel like the tail is too narrow.

i have a narrow stance (strapless) and have found my front foot is right where the foot strap inserts are.

Its very lively and certainly not an entry level board.

I don't have any worries about light wind starts as I feel its more technique than board that matters, in saying that I don't enjoy sub 10 knots and very rarely bother with wind in that range.

Touch downs well yes it does bury the nose but I have been able to recover 99% of them due to the lack of nose length.

The tracks out the back are great it makes for easy pack up.

All in all a fun little board.

Grant

PXL_20221209_062541038_3.jpg
PXL_20221209_062654451_2.jpg
These users thanked the author granit02 for the post (total 2):
Nak (Sat Dec 17, 2022 2:01 am) • airsail (Sat Dec 17, 2022 10:08 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Return to “Hydrofoil”