A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None

NZ Jan/Feb

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:26 am

Hello all,

I was searching NZ data and a bunch of covid debates came up (thank god that's over) and some questions from beyond 2017... So figured I'd bump the topic- I'm on parental with my wife/kid for around 6 weeks starting in the New Year, is it worth lugging the gear around? Wife likes to hike over kiting (she can kite too though), and I like to make sure she's happy with me lol. I've got foil gear but wife can't ride a pocket foil at this point... I'm not opposed to renting gear, but you lose flexibility obviously.

We're hitting up distant relatives to avoid paying an arm/leg for camper van rental. Anyways, what's the consensus? Full send, double board bag and gear? Or just bring pocket foil and rent gear for the wife when forecast looks bulletproof?

bragnouff
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Local Beach: New Brighton
Gear: Boards: Alkita boards
Zeeko Slash/AirWave/Scrambler
Amundson Johno
Foils: Spitfire XLW/ XXLW. GoFoil NL130/160/190
Kites: FS Peaks
HB Legion
Wings:Zeeko Carve
HB Flair/Guide...
Brand Affiliation: GK enthusiast / Zeeko & HB Pimp

Re: NZ Jan/Feb

Postby bragnouff » Wed Dec 07, 2022 8:09 am

Plenty of wind in Jan/Feb, really depends where you go, but you can expect a bit of everything, so I'd say bring all the gear to cover most options. You don't pay more for a boardbag, as long as it fits in your weight luggage allowance
I'm doing some informal rentals out of Christchurch, get in touch if you need anything.
These users thanked the author bragnouff for the post:
Johnnyrotten204 (Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Kamikuza
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Sabae Beach
Favorite Beaches: Ol' Stinky
Gear: This, that, the other

Postby Kamikuza » Wed Dec 07, 2022 9:40 am

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:26 am
Hello all,

I was searching NZ data and a bunch of covid debates came up (thank god that's over) and some questions from beyond 2017... So figured I'd bump the topic- I'm on parental with my wife/kid for around 6 weeks starting in the New Year, is it worth lugging the gear around? Wife likes to hike over kiting (she can kite too though), and I like to make sure she's happy with me lol. I've got foil gear but wife can't ride a pocket foil at this point... I'm not opposed to renting gear, but you lose flexibility obviously.

We're hitting up distant relatives to avoid paying an arm/leg for camper van rental. Anyways, what's the consensus? Full send, double board bag and gear? Or just bring pocket foil and rent gear for the wife when forecast looks bulletproof?
I take 2 kites (12 and 10m Switchblades), two harnesses, two bars, a TT and a foil setup when we go back in NZ's summer. Two small (150cm) gear bags, which I also fill with clothes and such so it's basically my check-in plus one. I miss out on the very lightest conditions for foiling, but that's rare.
These users thanked the author Kamikuza for the post:
Johnnyrotten204 (Wed Dec 07, 2022 4:14 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Johnnyrotten204
Medium Poster
Gear: Naish kites, liquid force impulse foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Johnnyrotten204 » Wed Dec 07, 2022 6:58 pm

Great- that's exactly what I was looking for!

Blackened
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2013
Style: Big Air, Airstyle
Gear: 2020 Rebels
23/24 Orbits

Postby Blackened » Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:51 pm

Johnnyrotten204 wrote:
Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:26 am
Hello all,

Full send. Bring the garage. Leave the kid at the relatives. Drop the wife off and she can hike to wherever you're kiting. Or give her the car and meet her there.

Return to “Hydrofoil”