Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

UFO with 17" Bar?

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Re: UFO with 17" Bar?

Postby Nak » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:26 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:07 pm
Are we talking bar lengths for hydrofoiling or waveboards?
Excellent question! I should have included that information. Purely Hydrofoiling for me, and I tend to go with the smallest kite I can make work getting up.

Nak
Frequent Poster
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)

Postby Nak » Mon Jan 09, 2023 8:34 pm

Much thanks to Purdyd, IWantToFly and grigorib for your impressions flying the smaller UFOs and Clouds with the shorter bar! It sounds like it's worth it to build a new bar to try out the 17". I guess if I don't like it as well as the 20", at least I'll have a spare bar to throw in my car. :D Hopefully the parts I just ordered will be here in time for my Baja trip next week. If they are, I'll post my impressions here as well.

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:45 am

Nak wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 7:01 pm
Trent hink wrote:
Mon Jan 09, 2023 4:09 am
My current opinion is that the only reason to switch to a shorter bar is if you feel as if things are moving too fast to have good control. Otherwise whatever you have is just fine.
IMHO, this statement is correct, but not complete. The first reason to move to a shorter bar is as you say, often a large bar has too much control authority for a smaller kite. This is when it's really important to go with a shorter bar. But going to a shorter bar--even when the longer bar works fine--decreases control force required when flying the kite one handed, and increases the input angle required. This can make flying the kite faster and more fun--IF sufficient control authority remains. Of course, the shorter the bar, the less total control authority available.

I see it the opposite as you. Rather than going shorter if you have too much control, I'd rather only go longer if I need it for adequate control authority. That's the point of my original post: Does a 17" control bar have sufficient control authority to fly a 3m - 5m UFO--the UFO specifically--and is it more fun than using a 20" bar,? Does a 17" bar still have sufficient control authority to pinwheel a <= 5m UFO? As I said in the original post, I am well aware of the pros and cons of different bar lengths, I am merely looking for experience with small UFOs to determine if it's worth the monetary cost of building a new bar.

I get it, that's why my answer was basically, "it's not too long unless you think it is..."

Not much help, I guess, but in the end it comes down to personal preference and what feels right for you.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
Nak (Tue Jan 10, 2023 12:56 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Nak
Frequent Poster

Postby Nak » Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:22 am

Well I tried a 17" bar with my V2 UFOs--3m, 4m, 5m and 6m. Back to back sessions with a 20" bar. With the any of them--even the 3m--the 17" bar isn't required. With the 3m, it's marginally more fun. With the 4m it's a wash. With the 5m, it's a bit easier to fly one handed, but it's also harder to turn it fast. With any of the 3 kites, I wouldn't be bothered to have to fly them with either bar. OTH, with the 6m--and I assume bigger kites--the 20" bar is definitely better.

All of that said, If I travel I'd rather bring two 20" bars than a 17" and a 20". That way I'd have a spare for every kite size. For the Gorge, I'll bring the 17" along for the 3m.

Obviously, all of the above is just personal opinion.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Wed Mar 08, 2023 3:46 am

Nak wrote:
Wed Mar 08, 2023 12:22 am
Well I tried a 17" bar with my V2 UFOs--3m, 4m, 5m and 6m. Back to back sessions with a 20" bar. With the any of them--even the 3m--the 17" bar isn't required. With the 3m, it's marginally more fun. With the 4m it's a wash. With the 5m, it's a bit easier to fly one handed, but it's also harder to turn it fast. With any of the 3 kites, I wouldn't be bothered to have to fly them with either bar. OTH, with the 6m--and I assume bigger kites--the 20" bar is definitely better.

All of that said, If I travel I'd rather bring two 20" bars than a 17" and a 20". That way I'd have a spare for every kite size. For the Gorge, I'll bring the 17" along for the 3m.

Obviously, all of the above is just personal opinion.
Good to know with the back to back experience. I now have a 20” carbon bar to build up and I’m going to do another very light set up. I definitely loved using my super light 17” bar with kites up to 5m the last few weeks so I’m sold on the minimalist bar. Obviously the specific length is just a personal preference but I am sure I’ll use the longer bar with 6m-8m strutless and foil kites.

Return to “Hydrofoil”