Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Learning to kitefoil

Postby Smeagle » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:00 pm

Yes,

I also would suggest a very large front strap. I tried a very small one first, many say you can't get stuck when you make it very small, I didn't like it. Difficult to get in with foot AND I got stuck in crash, too. Then I used a very large strap. I used it to hold the board in place with front foot while swimming/starting and to have a fixed spot for front foot while riding. I never got stuck in it even in crashes, so I think it is a good solution. half hook is not as good to hold board in position for starting.

- Oliver
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post:
MadDoggy (Tue Jan 17, 2023 3:01 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:45 pm

drsurf wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:57 pm
There are so many variables in learning to kitefoil and you will have to assess each one as it pertains to you.

Water and wind conditions depend on where you are but smooth water and 10-15 knots is preferable if you can find it.

You want a kite which relaunches easily and is easy to manage in the air. A single strut kite matched to your weight with just enough power to get you out of the water will be easiest. Once you're on the foil you lose the friction of the board and you need to feel in control of the foil and don't want too much power speeding you out of control.

A front strap definitely makes it easier in my experience as it will help you keep the board in position when starting. As Flyboy has stated, a snug fitting front strap so your foot doesn't go in very far will mean your foot will easily twist out of the strap in a crash. With your foot in too far it can jam in a twisting fall and break bones. If you come from a windsurf background you'll find the strap will give you a lot more leverage/control over the foil.

Definitely not a foot hook when learning. A crashing kite with slack lines will catch on the foot hook and when the kite relaunches it can turn the kite into an uncontrollable spinning beast dragging you into all the pointy bits of your foil :(

Choose a foil which has a surface area of 900 -1200 sq cm and is not high aspect. These type of foils will get you up at a relatively slow speed and not drop you suddenly as your speed decreases. A relatively long fuselage is better, and a short 60cm mast will make learning easier.

A low volume thin board will help when positioning yourself to start as it will not bob all over the place and will give you more grip on the water so you don't drift too much towards your kite. A board approximately 110-125 cm in length and not too narrow will also make learning easier.

I remember learning to kitefoil in the early days when it was mainly figure it out for yourself. It was challenging and the suggestions I've made above come from both bitter and positive experience :)
These users thanked the author Boston kiter for the post:

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Postby Boston kiter » Mon Jan 16, 2023 9:53 pm

I respectfully disagree on the foot-hook. With a foot-hook you have almost zero chance of having your foot trapped which can cause devasting injuries if your foot does not release. Begginers are going to crash often and are not going to have the presence of mind to get the front foot out, even a loose strap can trap your foot. I have heard the argument about the lines getting caught on the hook, and of course that is possible but it has never happened to me and I don't think it would be a big deal to an experinced kiter in light wind.
These users thanked the author Boston kiter for the post:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm

MadDoggy, just continue strapless :D

Usually I would advocate straps, but not in your case.

The reason taxi'ing is great, is ONLY when you have a big board or flat water.
Then you can learn gradually to control things, and you can avoid the crazy "foil flies up in the air" which can give dangerous situations.

At least it helps you dont have straps - so feet wont get trapped.

You say you have a good feel balancing the board strapless, great (not many has, when learning)

As the foot position is extremely sensitive, a few cm too far forward or rear will make it impossible to fly, or it will rocket out of the water.
Would recommend you, if not already present, make some kind of marking on your board, where you think your front foot should be.
It does not need to be accurate, and better a tad too forward than rearward, much easier to spot now.

Now you can put your front foot much faster in position, and even when waterstarted you have a few seconds to move your foot.

Having such a reference to aim for, will help immensely, even for experienced.
It doesnt have to be precise, as you will very fast learn where it works best for you, putting your front foot relative to the marking :thumb:

You could use a strap of some kind to obtain the same, but with your progress and conditions, I wouldnt do it.

And to your question "Does straps help control once foiling?"
No, not at all - they help for positioning the board when waterstarting, and can help when touching down on the water - but when riding, no help whatsoever for balance :wink:

Take the time it takes to learn foiling, it is REALLY difficult because the foil is crazy sensitive to foot pressure, but it will come.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
MadDoggy (Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 am)

Trent hink
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1998
Weight: 83 kg.
Local Beach: Nokomis beach, Turtle beach, Venice inlet, lido key
Style: Creepy old man
Gear: Peak4, LF, solo, Moses 633 hydrofoil, couple of surfboards, a twintip I made in 2008.
Brand Affiliation: once made an attempt to manufacture and market "Anomaly" twin-tip boards.

Postby Trent hink » Mon Jan 16, 2023 11:34 pm

If you have an aluminum stut and/ or a smaller foil, I can see where a front foot strap or hook might be helpful for setting up to start, especially if you are trying to go in underpowered or lightly-powered conditions.

If you have a larger surf-type foil, with a lightweight strut, the whole contraption is relatively easy to set on its side, so it can make strapless water starts much easier, even when underpowered.

I've really only gone strapless. The foot straps actually scare me...🥴

Additionally, It takes some time to understand where you really need to put your feet, so if you start with straps, it might make setting up the water start easier, but there is a good chance you will spend a lot of trial and error figuring out where you really need the straps.

Strapless, you'll figure out your correct foot positioning way more quickly.
These users thanked the author Trent hink for the post:
MadDoggy (Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:51 am)

leeuwen
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2014
Local Beach: Anything in NL
Style: Foiling around
Gear: KauperXT 11M Falcon
Ocean Rodeo aluula roam 10m / HL Crave 8m/6m/5m
Slingshot ghost 4M
Sabfoil 1350L,633,699,671/ 83-103 kraken mast / Groove Skate L + Radical / Sabfoil T35 / Microchip
Lieuwe Shotgun

Postby leeuwen » Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:31 pm

And to your question "Does straps help control once foiling?"
No, not at all - they help for positioning the board when waterstarting, and can help when touching down on the water - but when riding, no help whatsoever for balance
I disagree with this statement.
My journey was only front strap: noped off that after a couple of sessions and I had a scary moment with a whole foot up to the ankle ended up into the loose strap.
Switched to single front foothook for about 20-30 sessions. IMHO a good option that makes starting a lot easier, especially in waves when you can easily lose touch of the board with your feet because you are not quick enough to get on the board (might be less problematic in more wind when you get more pressure from the kite).

After this I switched to strapless. Starting took a little to get used to but I was also highly surprised how much stability I lost when riding.
Just lightly touching the foothook with a toe made quite bit of difference and it cost me about another 5-10 sessions to get back to the same stability I had when riding with the hook.

So I would personally highly recommend a hook for a while for an easier learning curve.
I placed mine the “wrong way around” so with the open part of the hook forward.
Worked like a charm and I never had my front foot stuck or a line catch the hook.

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:58 pm

leeuwen wrote:
Tue Jan 17, 2023 2:05 pm
Starting took a little to get used to but I was also highly surprised how much stability I lost when riding.
Just lightly touching the foothook with a toe made quite bit of difference and it cost me about another 5-10 sessions to get back to the same stability I had when riding with the hook.
Yeah, it definitely made a small but noticeable difference for me. Perhaps it is because I have small feet so I have less natural leverage. You can pressure the strap/hook with the top of your foot to gain some toeside carve and you can lift your toes against the strap/hook for heel side.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:07 pm

I still say to MadDoggy, keep learning strapless, no risks and you are in a special situation compared to most.

He is quite good at getting his feet up on the board - many cant do this for starters so a strap is much better for many - but he can.
Board is really small combined with conditions so taxi is not possible anyways.
And he is new, meaning front-rear foot balance is whats its all about learning, not turning (where I cant see any advantage either with kitefoilboards)

It will take a while indeed, but possible :naughty:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
MadDoggy (Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:06 pm)

tkaraszewski
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Hood River/Caribbean
Style: Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone/Levitaz

Postby tkaraszewski » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:50 pm

I ride with straps (on a race board) and I don't actually find the straps provide much added stability (particularly the back strap) in normal riding. There are two main things straps help with for me:

1. Tacks. Roll tacks are much easier with straps. The board can't drop out from under you.
2. Recovery. You are much more likely to recover quickly from a crash or semi-crash with straps.

Both of these matter a lot in racing, but not so much freeriding (particularly if you don't want to learn roll tacks).

Aside from that, I think the benefits straps are pretty minimal. It is easier to waterstart with straps, but learning to waterstart without straps is not that hard either.
These users thanked the author tkaraszewski for the post (total 2):
Peter_Frank (Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:43 pm) • MadDoggy (Tue Jan 17, 2023 10:05 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Jan 18, 2023 12:11 am

At our local many of us learned with just the rear strap. This allowed positioning of the board to get going and in the inevitable wipeout you rear foot got pulled out of the strap rather than being trapped in with a front strap.
I only use straps on my racefoil now.
These users thanked the author airsail for the post:
MadDoggy (Wed Jan 18, 2023 1:50 am)

Return to “Hydrofoil”