Rare Poster
Weight: 67
Gear: f-one Bandit
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Gong, which fuselage?

Postby johan k » Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:20 pm

For kitefoiling I’m going to get a Fluid M frontwing but don’t know of I should get the standard fuselage with the standard Fluid stab or the short pro fuselage and long Pro Fluid H stab.
Is the reduced weight and drag the extra money worth. The long pro Fluid H stab looks a bit fragile.
Any advise?

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Gong, which fuselage?

Postby consumer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:43 am

The pro fuses were designed to minimize drag and as I understand it must be paired with a pro stab. For winging, the reduction in drag is huge and noticeable. I’m not sure how important it would be for kiting. The new pro foil lineup also uses 12k carbon , which are stiffer, but I have heard won’t fare as well if they take a serious impact like at high speed into rocks. Personally I’d go with the pro because it is refined and a masterpiece!

I would stick with the short fuse because I like the loose surf feel , and I believe short fuse is better for pumping, but maybe you would prefer something with greater stability?

Edit : I see that there is an adapter for the pro fuse to run the classic stab- but you may as well just get the standard v2 fuse if you are running a standard Stab

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby Flyboy » Mon Jan 16, 2023 3:03 am

consumer wrote:
Mon Jan 16, 2023 12:43 am
The pro fuses were designed to minimize drag and as I understand it must be paired with a pro stab. For winging, the reduction in drag is huge and noticeable. I’m not sure how important it would be for kiting. The new pro foil lineup also uses 12k carbon , which are stiffer, but I have heard won’t fare as well if they take a serious impact like at high speed into rocks. Personally I’d go with the pro because it is refined and a masterpiece!

I would stick with the short fuse because I like the loose surf feel , and I believe short fuse is better for pumping, but maybe you would prefer something with greater stability?

Edit : I see that there is an adapter for the pro fuse to run the classic stab- but you may as well just get the standard v2 fuse if you are running a standard Stab
What are you using? I'm still happily using the V2Carbon mono bloc. I really have a hard time seeing the point of the lighter, less draggy pro set up. What I'm interested in is surfing swell & waves. I don't see that a faster foil is necessarily helpful for that. Today was a case in point: pretty big, steep swells, fairly strong wind. Surfing down the faces created major speed - more interested in reducing speed than increasing it. Much of the development right now seems aimed at increasing the gliding efficiency of wing foiling, especially in underpowered conditions.

consumer
Very Frequent Poster

Postby consumer » Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:41 pm

Hi Flyboy

To complicate the decision for Johan I agree with you. I am winging and have a fluid LH front and Fluid H38 rear stab.

in the Bay Area wave speed varies a lot and are actually nearer the top end of the foil. Other spots I’ve ridden across the US, including Hawaii , seem to have slower waves.

Also in the SF bay proper there is lot of boat wake action that is really fun to ride. They vary a lot too but the bigger cargo tanker waves are especially fast- so fast that my 170 lift HA cannot keep up in the wake and I eventually drift back. My fluid LH can maintain glide at slow speed and importantly, at high speed too. It has slightly more speed than my 170 HA ( similar sized stab).

I’m getting a ypra S -L !!

Return to “Hydrofoil”