Been thanked: 0

Re: Single strut vs surf kites

Postby MadDoggy » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:46 am

1234567Simon wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:02 am
This is Just my oppinion:

My Kites.
Wave Kite 4,6,8
Below 12kn the 8m tends to Fall down, and will Not Relaunch... But would be enough for hydrofoiling.

Got a 10meter Ultra:
stays Up stable 6-7kn...
Relaunches at 7kn in flat water
Gets me Up in the Foil at aprox 8kn....
Getting big at 12knots....
It has way more Power than my 8m Wave Kite..

Sooooooooooo different than my Wave kite.
But love the relaxed Feeling for me:
IT will Not Fall down!
It will Relaunch!!!!

Just bought a 8m ultra...hoping for more high end (plus 2-3knots Up to 14) , with maybe only loosing 1-2kn Low end....

The 10m works in Waves with a surfboard but is Not perfect, as it flys soooo far to the Edge of the windwindow.... But goes upwind Like hell ...
I think a UFO would Work much better in Waves, but never saw anyone, and not sure about going upwind with an UFo on a Surfboard in Low Winds.

Ahhh, and the Ultra was pretty cheap

But the 10 is a Session Saver.... After a Long Drive, discovering only 6-7 knots, is pretty ugly😨

And yes!! 5 Kites is ridiculous..... So hoping the 8 is enough.

IMG_20230122_144340.jpg

This to me sounds like the perfect quiver for kitefoiling it’s kind of what I think I will end up with. Thing is though a have a 10m section 4/wave kite so might need to trade it in for a 10m airrush team and have a 8m and 6m section 4/5 when available. Hindsight is a beautiful thing.

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Local Beach: RJ, Brazil
Favorite Beaches: Arubinha, RJ
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ
Style: freeride
Gear: Boxer 9m for foiling
Rebel SLS 8m or Crave HL 9m for boosting on twintip
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:19 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:48 am
I disagree, I find single strut light ones are by far the best LEI for hydrofoil.

Easier to slide launch, but most importantly - WHEN you ditch the kite in really low wind, the canopy wont cling to the surface like strutless very often do.

Meaning kite can be on its back, but no way to get wind into the canopy.

Or it can be on its LE, but canopy sucked down to the surface.
Sometimes you can "work" wind into the canopy again yes, other times when too low wind, not possible.

Why do I find this so important?

Because it is your "safe easy rescue", having the canopy filled with wind, even if too little to relaunch, you can steer the kite to get ashore, in a relaxed way.
Also, others can see the kite, if it goes really wrong - not visible if sucked to the surface.
It can in rare cases happen with a 1 strut on its back too, but very rare, compared to a strutless.
Even better, if a puff comes along, you might be able to back the kite up and foil again :D

I have ridden so many strutless and one struts (and more struts), so would definitely choose a 1 strut light one when medium/big size for light wind :thumb:

Of course, if you dont care about this, or never ditch the kite where you could get in trouble, a strutless is even lighter and the choice.

8) Peter
I agree and also prefer 1-struct for foiling and never got excited to try any structless kite, however, I'm considering to retire my loyal boxer, that must have already about 1.500km of riding life, and start to use the Crave HL, which is a light 3-struct, for both: HF and TT. I'm just a little bit concerned to put a brand new kite to self-launching in a dirty area :cry: :cry: :cry:

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:26 pm

Axis1050 wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 7:20 am
Peter, have you used BRM Clouds strutless and understood the technique to relaunch them, its as easy as any kite. I have a full quiver and relaunching is not an issue even in very light wind.
when the kite is too light, and there's something to raise at least a little piece of rip stop out of the water, relaunching should not be an issue. The wind catch what's exposed and do its job.

Even Peak's can relaunch with the right technique however, 1-struct are no-brainer in this subject. Close your eyes and grab any line that the thing will go back to the sky :lol:

rnelias
Very Frequent Poster
Cumbuco, CE
Barra da Tijuca, RJ
Praia da Bica, RJ

Postby rnelias » Mon Jan 23, 2023 1:40 pm

Nak wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:02 am
Surf kites in general are built stronger than no strut kites, which is great if your kite gets rolled in the waves. I can't speak for everyone, but certainly there is a large cadre of UFO and Cloud riders using no strut kites in all sizes and wind conditions--because they like the way those kites fly. I rode with my 3m UFO yesterday in winds gusting into at least the mid 30s and it was absolutely great. The drift and ease of control was just phenomenal. I could toss the kite up high, ride the swell with the lines completely slack and then instantly get the kite where I needed it to ride to the next bit of swell. There is no way I personally would have had near as much fun on a surf kite. I have the UFO in almost every size from 3m to 11m, and in every size it is the kite I would continue to choose over any other kite in that size and wind condition--while foiling of course. The only exception I would make is if I was doing a long upwinder where time was a concern. In that case there are other kites that go upwind better. All of that is personal preference obviously. It's whatever get's you the most grins per hour of riding that counts.
You've raised an important point.

Surf kites are usually stronger and I think structless and 1-struct kites are not much used in waves also due to the load the canopy must support. It's surely more punishing for the kite to drag a directional board on waves than a hydrofoil in flat water. They surely can be used in waves but I suppose the kite would not last too much.

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Jan 23, 2023 3:15 pm

MadDoggy wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:43 pm
IWantToFly wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 5:14 pm
I’ve never heard anyone claim 3-strut surf kites drift better than one-strut or strutless or single-skin kites. They will be more stable, sure, because they maintain their structure better.
This is a key point.
All my research has indicated that surf kites are purpose built to be able to drift down the line in the surf when surfed straight at the kite. Whereas one and no strut kites are purpose build for low end power to pull in the lightest of wind. If not, why aren’t one and single strut kites used in the surf over surf kites? There has to be a reason surf kites are ridden in the surf. Additionally, I have heard that surf kites drift better from multiple sources…

Can I ask for people to give their opinion on thus one.
Every no / single strut kite I have ever owned drifted better than the wave kites I have owned. I ride Boxers now and they drift significantly better than Pivots, which I used to ride.

No / single strut kites are also just a better overall foiling experience for me. No matter how strong the wind, I like foiling at the low end of a kite’s range. Wave kites in smaller sizes will start backstalling and fall out of the sky long before no / single strut kite.

I can understand wanting to use wave kites for foiling, but it will be a compromise for sure, and not one that I personally would be willing to live with.
Last edited by junebug on Wed Jan 25, 2023 3:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post (total 2):
Nak (Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 pm) • Onda (Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:59 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm

There is also perhaps some confusion in this discussion. Are we talking foiling in the surf (this thread is in the hydrofoil section) or surfboard. On a surfboard I would often want more grunt and structure for jumping and pulling upwind with the additional drag of a surfboard. The considerations are different on a foil and you will see more one-strut and strutless even though relaunch in the waves is a valid concern for most people.
These users thanked the author IWantToFly for the post:
Nak (Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:24 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Mon Jan 23, 2023 5:27 pm

IWantToFly wrote:
Mon Jan 23, 2023 4:54 pm
There is also perhaps some confusion in this discussion. Are we talking foiling in the surf (this thread is in the hydrofoil section) or surfboard. On a surfboard I would often want more grunt and structure for jumping and pulling upwind with the additional drag of a surfboard. The considerations are different on a foil and you will see more one-strut and strutless even though relaunch in the waves is a valid concern for most people.
Good points and agreed completely. For me, the no strut kite is a dedicated foil weapon. For any other board, I would choose a 3+ strut kite.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:22 pm

To my understanding, we are talking about whether it makes sense to use single strut kites in the smaller sizes, and not only as the "light wind hydrofoiling" tool.

Or you are better off using a light wind kite ONLY for the big size, and "normal" kites for the smaller ones.

IMO yes, it makes sense to use light kites for the smaller sizes too, for hydrofoiling, if you have no money issues, and no issues having a double quiver.

But most will no doubt use normal wavekites for medium to high winds (I did too before the Peaks, but a foil kite and not what we discuss here), and then one really light kite for light wind hydrofoiling.

And here I still recommend a 1 strut, for the reasons mentioned.

Yes you can learn to relaunch a no strut, but in the rare cases where wind drops even more, it is awesome to be able to drift ashore comfortably sitting on your board :thumb:

Not really any downsides with 1 struts, except for a tad heavier - but the advantages are usually bigger.

I agree with the posters saying hydrofoil light wind kites is also about being able to dump power, quite important.

Whether a strutless or 1 strut, it makes total sense for the light wind hydrofoil kite, you can NOT use a normal kite here.

And opposite, if you on rare occasions want to ride on a surfboard with a big kite (most dont, a 7 or 8 m2 is the max size usually), the 1 strut or strutless CAN work okay yes.

8) Peter

Tinouch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Aylmer
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Foiling
Gear: Naish boxer
Moses 633

Postby Tinouch » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:13 am

MadDoggy wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Hi all,

I’m not looking to buy any new kites in the next few months but I was thinking about this question for down the track.

I understand that single strut and no strut kites are better than surf kites at low wind flying because they stay in the air in less wind due to less weight but if you are flying in medium to higher wind conditions, do the performance characteristics make flying surf kites better?

If this is the case, wouldn’t you be best to have a quiver of surf kites for medium and strong wind and to have one kite with no or single strut fir that low wind condition.

From what I understand surf kites have better drift, have better stability in the air within their given wind range, can handle more wind, don’t get overpowered as easy and can release more power through sheeting out vs single/no strut kites.

Interested to hear everyone’s views. Thanks in advance for your input…
I had exactly the same thoughts two years ago
I bought a 12 and 14 one strut boxers naish and two surf kites 3 struts slash naish 8 and 10
I was thinking low wind one strut and high wind 3 struts surf kites more versatile…

I had a very bad experience with slash’s
There were front stalling in gusty winds et were not turning that well
They have also very slack back lines and not very reactive

Unfortunately a year ago I got robbed my two slash in my car …

Then I bought two new boxers 8 and 10

I can tell you for kite foiling they are much more stable , turn fast And even drift better …

I would not hesitate foil = one strut even for small kites
And I would not go with surf dedicated kite

The downside of this is : you can ride on TT with a one strut boxer even jump a bit

But they are not big air kites … and you need better kites ex pivot 3 struts … or 5 struts …

surf kites are not for jumping neither …

And in my opinion unless you are very good surfer in a very good wavy surf spot , the drift and wave riding with the boxer is more than enough

Conclusion : for high or low wind

If you are a foiler and you want some wave drift riding with surfboard go one strut

If you are very good surfer and surf a lot you can foil with surf kites… but imo the foil experience is less amazing

If you are a foiler and you want to do some TT and small jumps one strut boxer is enough

If you want go real big air you need a good structured kite like 3 struts pivot or five struts

The only thing I disent experienced is to have small 6-8 3 struts foiling and TT

Ok n my case

I am décent foiler 100 kg

I have

8-10-12-14 boxers
I don’t use the 14 that much anymore

And I will buy soon a pivot 10 and or 12 for jumping TT

And I will travel with 8-10boxer foil and 12 pivot

I am not a big surfer

And unfortunately there is no absolute versatile kite
Specially in case of
One strut boxer vs 3 strut slash even for high winds

Tinouch
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Weight: 100
Local Beach: Aylmer
Favorite Beaches: Bonaire
Style: Foiling
Gear: Naish boxer
Moses 633

Postby Tinouch » Thu Mar 30, 2023 3:29 am

MadDoggy wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:45 pm
Hi all,

I’m not looking to buy any new kites in the next few months but I was thinking about this question for down the track.

I understand that single strut and no strut kites are better than surf kites at low wind flying because they stay in the air in less wind due to less weight but if you are flying in medium to higher wind conditions, do the performance characteristics make flying surf kites better?

If this is the case, wouldn’t you be best to have a quiver of surf kites for medium and strong wind and to have one kite with no or single strut fir that low wind condition.

From what I understand surf kites have better drift, have better stability in the air within their given wind range, can handle more wind, don’t get overpowered as easy and can release more power through sheeting out vs single/no strut kites.

Interested to hear everyone’s views. Thanks in advance for your input…
I had exactly the same thoughts two years ago
I bought a 12 and 14 one strut boxers naish and two surf kites 3 struts slash naish 8 and 10
I was thinking low wind one strut and high wind 3 struts surf kites more versatile…

I had a very bad experience with slash’s
There were front stalling in gusty winds et were not turning that well
They have also very slack back lines and not very reactive

Unfortunately a year ago I got robbed my two slash in my car …

Then I bought two new boxers 8 and 10

I can tell you for kite foiling they are much more stable , turn fast And even drift better …

I would not hesitate foil = one strut even for small kites
And I would not go with surf dedicated kite

The downside of this is : you can ride on TT with a one strut boxer even jump a bit

But they are not big air kites … and you need better kites ex pivot 3 struts … or 5 struts …

surf kites are not for jumping neither …

And in my opinion unless you are very good surfer in a very good wavy surf spot , the drift and wave riding with the boxer is more than enough

Conclusion : for high or low wind

If you are a foiler and you want some wave drift riding with surfboard go one strut

If you are very good surfer and surf a lot you can foil with surf kites… but imo the foil experience is less amazing

If you are a foiler and you want to do some TT and small jumps one strut boxer is enough

If you want go real big air you need a good structured kite like 3 struts pivot or five struts

The only thing I disent experienced is to have small 6-8 3 struts foiling and TT

Ok n my case

I am décent foiler 100 kg

I have

8-10-12-14 boxers
I don’t use the 14 that much anymore

And I will buy soon a pivot 10 and or 12 for jumping TT

And I will travel with 8-10boxer foil and 12 pivot

I am not a big surfer

And unfortunately there is no absolute versatile kite
Specially in case of
One strut boxer vs 3 strut slash even for high winds

Return to “Hydrofoil”