Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Re: Upgrade or Update

Postby nixmatters » Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:25 pm

Here is an extreme example.
OK, that's a huge pump wing (or was huge back then) and an XPS core carbon skinned board
Attachments
Screenshot_20230131_202048_com.google.android.apps.photos_edit_723563045446881.jpg
Screenshot_20230131_202118.jpg

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby windybrit » Tue Jan 31, 2023 9:27 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm
windybrit wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm
To explain ........ more often than not when I come off the foil it does not float flat, rather it goes tail down vertically with about 20 cm of the nose point upwards (the mast is more or less horizontal under the water) it does not drift downwind ......... I am quite capable of body dragging back to it but this phenomena is a royal pain. The foil mast is watertight, I checked.
To water start I push the board onto it's edge with my back hand and back knee then plant my feet and allow a bit of kite power drift to keep my position....... it's honestly not a problem.

Hmmm, odd, and amazing, have never seen this phenomenon before?

I dont know what a Secret Agent board is, do you mean a Special Agent?
Which size?

I know (assume if the Cab line) it is small and thin, yes, so the quick picture I made has a lot smaller board, I know, but for the principles.

You are saying, if you leave your foil in the water, it behaves like this, to the right:

AgentBoard.jpg

If so, what you say makes sense indeed, drifts really slow.
Have a hard time believing it can be THAT radical?

Anyways, yes you can get a light carbon foil instead, or you could be a thicker board - if above really IS your problem.

But footswitches wont be easier on a lighter foil.

8) Peter
Yes Special Agent, sorry, its a 125 cm and yes your (very pro!) graphic is correct ......... a poor combo of a heavy foil and not very floaty board I think?
I also wonder if the front wing being made of Paulownia might make it worse as it might be more buoyant than composite....... the suggested Varial
wing, which has less volume, might exert less upward force, I'll try that if I can find one.

kiteman_hellyeah
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 180
Local Beach: Pere Marquette beach, City Beach Grand Haven
Favorite Beaches: Kite point OBX, Holland state park MI, PM Muskegon,
Style: all day IPA (lawnmower), freeride
Gear: CRX hydrofoil, Clearwater 1500/standard front wing, Airush switch 138cm, Neil pryde CRX 10m, gong SFS 17m, LF NV 13.5m, Pansh Genesis 8m 2021.
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby kiteman_hellyeah » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:46 am

I have a Cabrinha varial: small on an old CR:X twintip/foil board with aluminum mast/fuselage. It still dunks the back and pops the front half the time, but the other half of the time it sits flat in the water- depends on how the water is behaving and how I fall from foil. Placing a swimee/floatie armband through the back strap holes helps a bunch to spot it quickly and keep it flat.
These users thanked the author kiteman_hellyeah for the post:
windybrit (Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Return to “Hydrofoil”