Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Upgrade or Update

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
windybrit
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2007
Weight: 69
Local Beach: AAO
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Style: awkward
Gear: Slingsht UFO 5 & 8 m
Airush Ultra 12
Cabrinha Moto 7 & 9 , Best TS 6m
OR Jester, Dwarfcraft w Fusion 950 Foil
Brand Affiliation: None

Upgrade or Update

Postby windybrit » Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 pm

I have a Cabrinha Highrise Carve foil (2020) with their Secret agent board. It's the second kitefoil setup I have owned it's let me progress reasonably given my time constraints. I am aware that the setup isn't light (85cm mast and top plate weigh 2.3 kg), and sometimes when i fall the board floats mast down with just the board tip in the air, this then necessitates a maddening amount of body dragging as the board is reluctant to drift downwind. A friend, decent foiler, has also opined that the tail heavy setup will make it hard for me to learn to flying footswitches as it will be prone to sinking as I lift my rear foot ... I wonder if anyone knows of a 3rd party carbon mast for this setup (a Moses carbon mast is about 600 grams lighter) or wether I need to bite the bullet, donate a kidney, and purchase a new setup ? All thoughts gratefully appreciated. TIA.

Boston kiter
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2011
Local Beach: Naaaaaahant
Favorite Beaches: Chapin, Kalmus, Wing, Horseneck, Hardings, Hatch, Good Harbor.
Style: freeride , boost, surf, foil
Gear: Duotone 11 rebel sls, 9m Pivot sls 7m Pivot 9m UFO

Crazyfly Raptor pro, Slingshot Celero Cab secret agent/Lift 170 classic

Re: Upgrade or Update

Postby Boston kiter » Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:15 pm

windybrit wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 pm
I have a Cabrinha Highrise Carve foil (2020) with their Secret agent board. It's the second kitefoil setup I have owned it's let me progress reasonably given my time constraints. I am aware that the setup isn't light (85cm mast and top plate weigh 2.3 kg), and sometimes when i fall the board floats mast down with just the board tip in the air, this then necessitates a maddening amount of body dragging as the board is reluctant to drift downwind. A friend, decent foiler, has also opined that the tail heavy setup will make it hard for me to learn to flying footswitches as it will be prone to sinking as I lift my rear foot ... I wonder if anyone knows of a 3rd party carbon mast for this setup (a Moses carbon mast is about 600 grams lighter) or wether I need to bite the bullet, donate a kidney, and purchase a new setup ? All thoughts gratefully appreciated. TIA.
Thats a great first foil but heavy and slow. See if Real still has any Lift 170 classics left. $300 for a fantastic foil. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Favorite Beaches: Isle de la Madelaine, Isle Lameque........ anywhere I can get water time
Airush Ultra 12

Postby windybrit » Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:44 pm

Thanks......yes heavy for sure , slow I don't mind within reason as log as the fact doesn't slow my progression. Last week I had a look at a Lift foil, it seemed very nicely made.... how robust are they?

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:13 pm

Sorry, but this doesnt make sense to me...

If the mast sinks, the whole setup will drift downwind and you can retrieve the board/foil.

Much worse if it floats on its side - can be really difficult to get back to the foil :wink:

Regarding foot switches, I will say it doesnt matter at all if heavy or light - it will NOT sink while switching feet, actually one could say it will be more stable if heavier.

The advantages, besides jumping and lifting the foil in jumps, is it wont sink as fast when waterstarting - in particular helpful when strapless.
Here the timing can be really difficult with a heavy mast sinking fast.
No problem if straps.
And then a light foil is easier to carry of course.
Apart from the fact it just FEELS good when on the water, light and nimble :D

But no reason to diss a heavy foil, it will work just fine - so unless you know exactly which foil you want, and you want to pay for the luxury, a heavy foil works great also for learning footswitches.

No, it does not sink while you switch feet, here weight doesnt matter whatsoever :rollgrin:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
nixmatters (Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:12 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

junebug
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2006
Weight: 195 lbs
Style: Freeride Twintip, Strapless Foil
Gear: Rebels (6m, 8m, 11m, 13m)
Nobile NHP
Boxers (3.5m, 4m, 5m, 7m, 10m, 12m) (flat water)
Peak4s (3m, 4m, 5m, 6m) (waves)
Lift 150 v1 Surf front / 38 back (flat water)
Lift 170 v1 Surf front / 26 back (waves)

Postby junebug » Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:43 pm

windybrit wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:44 pm
Thanks......yes heavy for sure , slow I don't mind within reason as log as the fact doesn't slow my progression. Last week I had a look at a Lift foil, it seemed very nicely made.... how robust are they?
I don't have any experience with your specific foil, but there is no reason a heavy foil should impede your foot switches. In fact, it might help a little insofar as it will arguably be less responsive to the changes in weight distribution that come with foot switches. I learned foot switches on an old Liquid Force rocket foil. It took me a while, but that was more due to a lack of talent that the weight of the setup.

That said, Lift foils are awesome. If I could do it all over again I would have gotten a Lift foil as soon as I was up and riding confidently. They are so smooth, and very strong. I have hit plenty of sandbars riding in waves and never damaged a wing.
These users thanked the author junebug for the post:
windybrit (Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:19 am)

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:21 pm

I had the Carve and loved it back then. The weight was never an issue for me, but the drag became at some point.
Then I tested the Varial S - much lower drag, higher top end and the same carvy feel. The shape (outline) of the wing is identical to Carve, but it's thinner. If you can find one cheap, you won't regret.
These users thanked the author nixmatters for the post:
windybrit (Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:19 am)

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:53 am

I agree with Peter. The reasons you have stated don’t make sense to switch. Sinkers drift downwind better than side-floaters. Wide(ish) heavy board on the water will be fine for foot switches (which I’m just learning, too).

I had the same setup with the double agent of the vintage ~2018. Last summer I switched to the Lift 170 (the same one that was on sale mentioned earlier), a Project Cedrus mast, and a Kanaha Shapes board. I made great progress on my Cabrinha setup but I loved the upgrade.

windybrit
Frequent Poster
Airush Ultra 12

Postby windybrit » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm

Peter_Frank wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:13 pm
Sorry, but this doesnt make sense to me...

If the mast sinks, the whole setup will drift downwind and you can retrieve the board/foil.

Much worse if it floats on its side - can be really difficult to get back to the foil :wink:

Regarding foot switches, I will say it doesnt matter at all if heavy or light - it will NOT sink while switching feet, actually one could say it will be more stable if heavier.

The advantages, besides jumping and lifting the foil in jumps, is it wont sink as fast when waterstarting - in particular helpful when strapless.
Here the timing can be really difficult with a heavy mast sinking fast.
No problem if straps.
And then a light foil is easier to carry of course.
Apart from the fact it just FEELS good when on the water, light and nimble :D

But no reason to diss a heavy foil, it will work just fine - so unless you know exactly which foil you want, and you want to pay for the luxury, a heavy foil works great also for learning footswitches.

No, it does not sink while you switch feet, here weight doesnt matter whatsoever :rollgrin:

8) Peter
To explain ........ more often than not when I come off the foil it does not float flat, rather it goes tail down vertically with about 20 cm of the nose point upwards (the mast is more or less horizontal under the water) it does not drift downwind ......... I am quite capable of body dragging back to it but this phenomena is a royal pain. The foil mast is watertight, I checked.
To water start I push the board onto it's edge with my back hand and back knee then plant my feet and allow a bit of kite power drift to keep my position....... it's honestly not a problem.
I do not get enough water time to progress as I'd like, just need to to put the practice time in when I can and be patient........ cheaper too ;)
I would like to see if I could find a small HI:Rise Varial wing though ;)

merl
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: HF

Postby merl » Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:44 pm

windybrit wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm
To explain ........ more often than not when I come off the foil it does not float flat, rather it goes tail down vertically with about 20 cm of the nose point upwards (the mast is more or less horizontal under the water) it does not drift downwind ......... I am quite capable of body dragging back to it but this phenomena is a royal pain. The foil mast is watertight, I checked.
That sounds unusual - perhaps a combination of a heavy mast and a floaty wing.

Here is a suggestion that might make it behave better. Get hold of a foam roll
Screenshot 2023-01-31 at 17.46.09.png
Either a half or cut a whole one down the middle. Cut it to the width of the tail of the board.

Now find a way to attach it to the deck at tail of the board. (I did this on an 85cm travel board by gluing it to a bit of thin plywood and bolting it to the rear holes). This of course might be tricky depending on the board and where your feet need to be when you ride.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:15 pm

windybrit wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:02 pm
To water start I push the board onto it's edge with my back hand and back knee then plant my feet and allow a bit of kite power drift to keep my position....... it's honestly not a problem.

Hmmm, odd, and amazing, have never seen this phenomenon before?

I dont know what a Secret Agent board is, do you mean a Special Agent?
Which size?

I know (assume if the Cab line) it is small and thin, yes, so the quick picture I made has a lot smaller board, I know, but for the principles.

You are saying, if you leave your foil in the water, it behaves like this, to the right:
AgentBoard.jpg

If so, what you say makes sense indeed, drifts really slow.
Have a hard time believing it can be THAT radical?

Anyways, yes you can get a light carbon foil instead, or you could be a thicker board - if above really IS your problem.

But footswitches wont be easier on a lighter foil.

8) Peter

Return to “Hydrofoil”