Contact   Imprint   Advertising   Guidelines

Ultra light wind foiling kite for the just past beginner foiler

A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
PullStrings
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 1999
Gear: LEI's & Surfboards

Re: Ultra light wind foiling kite for the just past beginner foiler.

Postby PullStrings » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:00 pm

ULW
Ultra light wind

Don't be hung up with the wind "speed only"

The wind "type" is a big factor

So until the kite is up you don't really know how it "feels"

The wind could be thin and gutless

The wind could be heavy and powerful

At the same exact wind speed measured or estimated

Those who are very experienced and know their spots can predict based on the wind direction..the air temp..the water temp that a session will be great or suck

When you see those videos in what appear to be very very little wind then you are witnessing someone riding a "special" wind

jakemoore
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2003
Gear: More wing than kite
Brand Affiliation: None

Postby jakemoore » Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:19 pm

OP - Forget the naysayers - you can push for light winds even if you don't get it on the first try. Just don't ride out farther than you want to swim. The kite has to have two things: light weight so it stays in the air and a power spike to get you out of the water.

I haven't found anything that out competes ultralight foil kites. For me that's a 15m Ozone Chrono V4 on very long lines. I'm stoked about the Aluula kites but still the most compelling light wind videos are all double skin foil kites. Big single skin foils like the peak and strut less kites like Cloud and UFO seem compelling because they fly so well in ultralight winds but so far I haven't seen anything with the power spike.

Most people here are just not that stoked to chase 5 knot winds and they max out at about 10-12 meter kites. So my recommendation is a 10-12 meter ultralight foil kite on thin race lines. Consider line extensions to get your kite up to 30-35 meters for the light wind days.

And then if foil kites are for you and you still think light wind foiling is for you go a little bigger.
These users thanked the author jakemoore for the post:
Regis-de-giens (Sat Feb 11, 2023 4:27 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:10 pm

For sure: I see experienced racer foilers riding (fast) in 5 or 6 knots using high aspect race kites. But it obviously takes considerable skill to get the kite up, keep it up and do transitions (tacks) without dropping the kite or bow-tying the tips. All of that is (IMO) out of reach of an advanced beginner or intermediate. Maybe something you can aim for in the longer term.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sat Feb 11, 2023 5:43 pm

Jakemore is right, you CAN chase the ultra light wind even being a beginner, but you should stop at 10-12 m2 UL foilkites for starters.

And most likely you wont go "lower".

With a 10-12 m2 good foilkite, you can go down to 6 knots with experience.
If you go 15 m2, and an expensive good one that is, you can go down to 5 knots, maybe, as it really calls on experience AND talent.
Whereas the downsides are huge IMO and experience, as they are extremely slow turning and can bowtie easier.

So for most riders, when not racing, it is simply not worth offering the fun okay lively turning and stable and bigger windrange characteristics of an 11-12 m2 foilkite, to gain maybe 1 knot.

8) Peter

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:32 pm

Trent hink wrote:
Thu Feb 09, 2023 11:42 pm

I recently acquired a used 12 meter Concept Air Pulsion: it is pretty easy to fly and it gets me going on my Moses 633 at one or maybe even two knots lower than my Peak 4 11 meter.
Hi, I had the same experience with the peak4 11m.... Not convinced with this kite (but happy with my 3m&5m) so, I sold it and bought a pulsion 12m. The wind range is wider, but the better advantage is the easy handling, power spike and not lossing shape on slack lines.

This means kite fall less times in the soup so more fun and more time to learn :thumb:

With that kite and a surf foil I can ride in 5 knot (hand measured)... And if the wind drops I can bodydrag to shore looping the kite.

I have the 6m pulsion now....can't wait to found its lowend. :?:

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:36 am

Very good advice to "start" with maximum 12m foilkite if powerfull, medium ratio and ultra light like pulsion, frs or falcon. (Frs is less powerfull and high depower , so a beginner could consider 15m for this model).

Any beginner will benefit from the easiness, plug and play, forgiving of those excellent double skin foilkites. The more you are beginner, the lower ratio of the kite . And you'll rapidly reach low wind like 7 knots (where light wind is the most fun).

Then, as said by Peter and others, when you master ultralight wind waterstarts technics and transitions, you will save about 1 knot . And if you feel the joy to go even lower for challenge and accept some downsides (swimming risks, slower and less stable kites and more power , that will require more accurate control as an aim on its own), you can go 15m, 18m (21m if race foilkite) with thin long lines, large foil, ect. Which is also very exciting ... And becomes very physical despite 5-6 knots: when i am at my lowest limit, i can rarely kite more than 30-45 minute because it is exhausting to pump, work a 18m kite, loop it often, fight for waterstart, ect....
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 2):
alekbelia (Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:03 am) • bitxopalo (Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:13 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

IWantToFly
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Weight: 77kg
Local Beach: Jones Beach, Sauvie Island, Floras Lake, the Gorge, OR coast, La Ventana
Favorite Beaches: La Ventana, the Gorge
Style: I wish
Gear: Groove Skate Pro 110cm
Kanaha Shapes 42” (106cm)
Triton T1 Monowing
Lift Classic 170
Litewave Wing 155, Kick-S 139
OR Mako 140
Duotone Whip 5’0”
Naish Pivot 6, 8, 10
Flysufer Soul 6m, 12m
Flysurfer Peak5 5m, Peak4 8m
Cloud 2.8, 3.7, 4.8, 6.2, 8
Pansh 7/11

Postby IWantToFly » Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:52 am

It is also worth noting that large strutless kites like Clouds and UFOs are still likely to be impossible to relaunch at the lowest end of the wind range so even with those kites you may still be swimming as if you dropped a foil kite. Sure, the LEI will relaunch better than a foil kite in most conditions, but I have sunk my large Cloud a bunch in light wind and the wind was too light to relaunch a wet, half-submerged kite. A large aluula kite would be better in that regard but a foil kite will be more fun!

alekbelia
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 100 kg
Style: hydrofoiling, waveriding
Gear: VMG2 11, 13, 15, 18, 21, 23 sqm
Ozone R1V3 9, 11, 13, 15, 17, 19, 21 sqm
Peak5 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
Click 2.5, 4, 5, 6 sqm
RRD Religion 4, 5, 6, 7 sqm
Wave RRD Cotan 5.4
Hydrofoils Levitaz R5, Chubanga V3, RDB 860

Postby alekbelia » Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:08 am

Regis-de-giens wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:36 am
... i can rarely kite more than 30-45 minute because it is exhausting to pump, work a 18m kite, loop it often, fight for waterstart, ect....
And to keep the speed, and make perfect transitions but at all it's really exciting (for me at least). :)
These users thanked the author alekbelia for the post (total 2):
Regis-de-giens (Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:23 am) • bitxopalo (Sun Feb 12, 2023 4:14 pm)
Rating: 6.06%

Smeagle
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 88
Local Beach: Zwergern Walchensee, Ambach Starnberger See
Style: Freeride
Gear: Pansh A15 9m, 15m
Pansh Hawk 5m, 8m, 12m
Pansh Kestrel 12m
F-One Diablo V1 8m, V3 13m, 18m
Sky Country Hysper V2 8m, 14m

Cabrinha Switchblade 7m, 9m, 12m
Best TS 15m
JN MrF Air 10m

Spleene RIP39
Spleene Session 45

Gong KiteFoil Curve M-T / Fluid M-T / Fluid S-T / Catch FSP 2X 4'6"

Gong Wing SuperPower 2023 6m, 7,5m
Gong Wing Plus 4m, 5m
Gong WingFoil Fluid XXL-T XL-T L-T M-T, Stemax FLyFoil 6'3 135l, F2 Glide Cross 5'6 120l

Postby Smeagle » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:06 am

alekbelia wrote:
Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:02 am
A beginner or slightly advanced cannot kite at 5 knots, regardless of the kite. 7-8 knots is the real lower limit.
Absolutely. Took me years of training and a lot of experiments with gear and trim to get down to beeing able to ride at 5 knots.
IWantToFly wrote: Sure, the LEI will relaunch better than a foil kite in most conditions,
No, not true. At least not in low wind conditions, and that is what we talk about here. I switch from my 10m LEI (single strut) to 12m foil kite at ~7 knots, when it get more and more difficult to relauch the LEI. I can still ride the LEI, but cannot relaunch quickly but needs a lot of work. The 12m foil kite (Using Pansh Hawk) will relaunch much easier.

In medium winds, 10..20 knots I see no big difference. Both launch fine. Higher AR foil kites can make some issues in turbulent winds, sure. In higher wind I use LEI most of the time, but I don't see why it should get more difficult to relaunch a foil kite!? Less danger of bow ties etc with smaller foil kites, should be fine.
These users thanked the author Smeagle for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Feb 12, 2023 5:23 pm)

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:27 am

IWantToFly wrote:
Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:52 am
A large aluula kite would be better in that regard but a foil kite will be more fun!
relaunch in low wind of a freeride foilkite, whatever the brand, is far better in low wind than any model of aluula or single strut or strut less ; by far ; in 5-8 knots , foilkite relaunch systematically in most configuration while pumped kite will never relaunch...
Last edited by Regis-de-giens on Sun Feb 12, 2023 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post:
Smeagle (Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:49 pm)

Return to “Hydrofoil”