Style: Foil.
Gear: Flysurfer Peak 5: 4/5/6/8/11m
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm
Gong Curve, Pro stab fuse 85 carbon mast
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Ultra light wind foiling kite for the just past beginner foiler

Postby ieism » Sat Jul 08, 2023 4:08 pm

Just tried my Kauper Falcon 11m for the first time, could not get up on foil in very very light wind. Need a bit of practice and a few adjustments with it first.

But overall impressed. It flew, and it relaunched of the water 5 out of 6 times. My Peak would not have relaunched, or gotten me on foil either in these conditions.
I expected it to be much different to my Peaks, but launching and landing is very similar actually, as well as flying. I really like the bridle much better than my flysurfers. They tangle less and are colour coded all the way to the kite, makes it much faster to separate the lines.
These users thanked the author ieism for the post:
Peter_Frank (Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:43 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:13 am

How long lines are you using ieism?

I use either is it 28 or 30 meter, works perfectly and will never go shorter on this kite - it gives loads more marginal wind low end, but also much more power in jibes when really light so you dont get off foil, and 360s really fun too :thumb:

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
ieism (Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:24 pm)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sun Jul 09, 2023 3:59 pm

21m at the moment, but I need another bar for this kite anyway as this one has a very short depower. Good to know I can go longer...

mede
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 72 kg dry
Local Beach: Lake Geneva
Favorite Beaches: Sri Lanka West Coast, Cape Verde, Tarifa, Beauduc, Corpus Christi
Style: Strapless surfing, Foiling, Big Air
Gear: Tomo Vader 5.1 HE, Kahana Shapes MariMacho, Gong Ypra XS, MS, L, XL, Kauper Falcon 11m, Blade Trigger 5m & 8m & 10m
Brand Affiliation: none

Postby mede » Sun Jul 09, 2023 6:34 pm

@ieism: Loop the kite with almost stretched out arms (loads of depower), in my experience this is the most effective way of get going with the falcon.
Let me know if this did the trick for you.
These users thanked the author mede for the post:
ieism (Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:24 pm)

ieism
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Ijmuiden
Favorite Beaches: Beauduc, Rockanje
Kauper XT Falcon 11m
Dwarfcraft 110cm

Postby ieism » Sun Jul 09, 2023 7:24 pm

I will try that next time I have some normal wind. I don't have a windmeter, but it was flags not flagging kind of conditions and I was just happy flying it a bit. It feels very similar to my Peak 11, and I loop that in the same way.
Today was very strange conditions with thunderstorms and gusts. I flew the kite for a bit but had to come back in. Not great conditions to fly your first foilkite. I also found out the bar I'm using doesn't have enough depower. I'm fully sheeted out lines not slacked and getting lifted from the foilboard.. :) Still managed to selfland it on the side, pretty mellow pull.

I changed down to a 5m Peak and was fully powered so the windrange of the Falcon is much bigger than my previous kites. Impressed.
Then I f#cked the foil into an underwater sandbank and went down pretty hard. Foiling is fun but why does it hurt so much sometimes?

I've ordered some stuff from Infexion to make a decent bar, then I should be good to go. The kite has about 40 hours on it, it looks almost new so I doubt I need to do a mixed test already.

Jyoder
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2015
Local Beach: Chesapeake Bay (Annapolis area)
Gear: Zeeko bullet Foil and DIY board

Postby Jyoder » Mon Jul 10, 2023 9:48 pm

I rode my 2100cm2 wingfoil and 40 liter board with 18m Diablo kite today. Wind was so light the kite would backstall if not actively moving across the window (3-4knots). Was hard to get out but once up it was easy. Had to kneel on the board to start and then stand up once moving.

When kitefoiling was getting popular we said “if the kite can fly then you can foil”, but then kites got better and lighter and it wasn’t true anymore.

Well, with big foils and boards, it is true once more.
Attachments
8D960EC9-9E25-4988-AD17-9D3C55A41A2F.jpeg
These users thanked the author Jyoder for the post (total 2):
PugetSoundKiter (Tue Jul 11, 2023 12:28 am) • Bart van Oers (Sun Oct 29, 2023 10:09 am)
Rating: 6.06%

Regis-de-giens
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 62 kg
Local Beach: France: St Laurent du Var, Cannes, Almanarre
Style: 62 kg , light wind, waves
Gear: Conceptair pulsion 18&15&12S, OR Flite 10m , Airush One 9&6, peak 5M , Rally 6, Elf 11 &7, 19m2 single skin proto.
foil Ketos, RCS Supreme, TBK Mana, snowskis, kite-boat

Postby Regis-de-giens » Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:51 am

Hi, i got a message on YouTube for which foilkite to chose for very light winds, so i copy here my answer in case one could be interested by my "last update"...

.. there are , like often, pro and cons for each kite, balancing fun, ease to use, stability, resulting speed,... and the best point of balance, hence choice of your own kite, depends on your skills, ride préférences, local wind stability , level of swimming risk you are able to accept, ...

But i 'll try to give some inputs to assess YOUR optimum kite which would not be the same for another rider of different age/objective and wind condition, even in case of similar skills.
So,... along what i have tested...

-1- The kite which gives the lowest wind ride ability is the Pulsion. (And Falcon should be similar). Also the most stable (so ease the phase when you swim out of on-shore winds at the start of session). And one of the most agile and regular in turns/loop. Cons : riding speed is not very high for an expert and wind range is more limited because it is uncomfortable beyond 12 knots. But overall it is the kite an intermediate rider will ride with the less wind and less risk of return by swimming.

-2- The single skins like Peak or hysper are even easier, agile, stay in the air with equivalent wind (with more easyness to Roll in water), but requises a bit more wind to waterstart, significant wind to water relaunch, and are less speed and comfort in ride, specially above 9 knots.
An nintermediate between group1 and group2 is the recent Airwaves Alma, very easy and in-between efficiency. Probably the "safer of all" to ensure you will ride with limited safety risk, swimming risk , wind increase risk, a bit of speed and a bit of jump, good drift for carve or surf. Personnaly i still prefer double skins.

-3- higher ratio kite like navy2, gin spirit, soul, toon, chrono2, are a bit less stable and more technical to waterstart, but ride and jump higher after waterstart in almost same wind with a lot of technics. But you need still one more knot to be able to waterstart, 2 more if you are low skilled, and less stable so more swimming risk if wind drops down, or turbulences on your spot, or failed trick trials , or pilot error.

- 4- far higher ratio like Sonic, vmg, R1, ect , are even less stable, and requires more wind (but then go faster) . So only for very experienced riders that also accept to wait for 1-2 knots more wind to ride with fun. Or rider that seak for speed or long distance as a priority. Again:without fine skills and specific identified use, you may be disapointed...

- 5- aluula or d-lab LEI are excellent light wind kites, even for beginner. Very expensive but Similar lower wind start like above group 2 in 15m or 17m , but easier to ride and more agile. Need 2-3 more knots to relaunch from water but no risk of water inside or tangling that may lead to swimm with a foilkite. And alternative is single strutt kites like airush one or North zero, but requires a bit more wind and less high wind comfort, flapping and more side pull. But agile and easy. Great for carving or surfing for example. No chance to be disapointed ...

Kite like kitech FRS is in between group 1 and 3. Same excellent lightness to keep in the air but has less power than group1. Not the lowest end but excellent dépower, easyness, stability , high wind ability. Kestrel is similar behaviour but just a bit heavier and a bit more power kiteloop ability. Personnaly I fine that FRS is fun and plug and play, but packs power for waterstart in 6 knots.

Well , i Hope that helps
These users thanked the author Regis-de-giens for the post (total 5):
bitxopalo (Sun Oct 15, 2023 5:41 pm) • Bart van Oers (Sun Oct 15, 2023 7:34 pm) • rnelias (Mon Oct 16, 2023 11:39 pm) • Trent hink (Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:01 am) • only1out (Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:27 pm)
Rating: 15.15%

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Sun Oct 15, 2023 6:03 pm

Great update Regis

I have not tested as many kites as Regis, but I know well peaks and c.a. pulsion.

I use a lot small peaks, but not the bigger ones, I see no other advantage than easy packdown and price.

In terms of low end, stability, speed and windrange, PU12 beats the peak 11.

My first PU was the 12, and then I got the 18, 9 and 6.

with PU18 combined with a surf wing, you can ride in ridiculous wind. But that wind is so light that (almost here) is not stable, and uses to stop without previous signals. So I would say is not "fun" for me.

So for me (65kg) the biggest size is 12. I see no advantage on going bigger.

Hope it helps

Return to “Hydrofoil”