A forum dedicated to Hydrofoil riders
Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: Super cheap but good board - board prices are insane

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:32 am

mati wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:46 pm
Have anyone tried the Gong Fronteira? (The 108cm one if it is possible) I am looking for an affordable kitefoil board between 100 to 115 cm. I was trying to find something second hand, but I couldn't find anything that ticks all the boxes, or the price is the same or higher to this one from Gong.
I want a board with volume (no skimboard construction), 3 straps configuration and prepared for some bad landings.
The Slingshots Dwarf Craft or Hope Craft are another 2 boards I like, but even the old models are more expensive than the gong here, and I still would have to buy straps (they come included with the Gong).
Any other option or a second hand board available in Europe?
I recently ordered a Newind board from Riccardo in Italy. 496 Euros including shipping to Canada. It is 95cm, has inserts for 3 straps & full carbon construction. It's actually quite thick and so fairly floaty. I think if reordering I would have gone a bit smaller - perhaps 90cm or 85cm. I really don't have any sense that "touchdowns" are a problem with it.

One thing I noticed is that unlike my old Dwarfcraft it doesn't have "chines" on the bottom and it's significantly lighter - the consequence seems to be it has less directional impetus when drifting downwind. The Dwarfcraft would very quickly track downwind after a fall ... the Newind board sometimes takes a while to turn around and start heading downwind. This can be both good or bad, depending on the circumstances.

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Postby mati » Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:04 am

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 2:32 am
mati wrote:
Wed Jan 03, 2024 4:46 pm
Have anyone tried the Gong Fronteira? (The 108cm one if it is possible) I am looking for an affordable kitefoil board between 100 to 115 cm. I was trying to find something second hand, but I couldn't find anything that ticks all the boxes, or the price is the same or higher to this one from Gong.
I want a board with volume (no skimboard construction), 3 straps configuration and prepared for some bad landings.
The Slingshots Dwarf Craft or Hope Craft are another 2 boards I like, but even the old models are more expensive than the gong here, and I still would have to buy straps (they come included with the Gong).
Any other option or a second hand board available in Europe?
I recently ordered a Newind board from Riccardo in Italy. 496 Euros including shipping to Canada. It is 95cm, has inserts for 3 straps & full carbon construction. It's actually quite thick and so fairly floaty. I think if reordering I would have gone a bit smaller - perhaps 90cm or 85cm. I really don't have any sense that "touchdowns" are a problem with it.

One thing I noticed is that unlike my old Dwarfcraft it doesn't have "chines" on the bottom and it's significantly lighter - the consequence seems to be it has less directional impetus when drifting downwind. The Dwarfcraft would very quickly track downwind after a fall ... the Newind board sometimes takes a while to turn around and start heading downwind. This can be both good or bad, depending on the circumstances.
Thanks for your reply. The Newind 108 was one of my first options. Doing some research about it I found a few very bad experiences in this forum →https://oaseforum.de/showthread.php?t=184998
Do you find the build quality good? Do you jump with the foil?
Thank you!

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 am

@mati, larger than what you're after, but definitely a great deal at @750 + shipping. Demoed few times, like new condition.
If anyone is interested PM me and I'll hook you up with the guy selling it.

https://www.mioboards.com/p/mio-the-dee ... raps-130cm
Attachments
IMG_20240104_103848.jpg

flying doctor
Frequent Poster

Postby flying doctor » Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:25 pm

Another option is the nobile pocket skim foil, although on their site it's out of stock atm.
https://shop.nobilesports.com/nobile-ki ... -foil-2024
You get straps and a bag with it and if you mail with them you can ask for a better price.
I really enjoy the board because it has a slight rocker, rails and (possibility for) straps and 90cm is a great length IMHO.
IMG_9657.jpeg
IMG_9658.jpeg

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm

mati wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:04 am

Thanks for your reply. The Newind 108 was one of my first options. Doing some research about it I found a few very bad experiences in this forum →https://oaseforum.de/showthread.php?t=184998
Thank you!
Quality is great. No issues with it so far, but only about 15 sessions. I don't jump, but I'm not sure it would be a good candidate for serious jumping as it is very light and quite thick. I have a friend who has been using a 108cm board for a year - he hasn't had any problems. I would recommend going smaller - no more than 100cm, as the boards have quite a lot of flotation.
Attachments
IMG_2443.jpg
IMG_2404.jpg
IMG_2403.jpg
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
edt (Thu Jan 04, 2024 6:26 pm)
Rating: 3.03%

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:20 pm

Flyboy wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:57 pm
mati wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 9:04 am

Thank you!
Quality is great. No issues with it so far, but only about 15 sessions. I don't jump, but I'm not sure it would be a good candidate for serious jumping as it is very light and quite thick. I have a friend who has been using a 108cm board for a year - he hasn't had any problems. I would recommend going smaller - no more than 100cm, as the boards have quite a lot of flotation.
Thank you for sharing! It looks nice and great to see they have added the 4 access points on the us boxes. Have you asked for it or was it standard?

Flyboy
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Flyboy » Thu Jan 04, 2024 5:56 pm

Everything came "standard".
These users thanked the author Flyboy for the post:
mati (Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:53 am)
Rating: 3.03%

Axis1050
Medium Poster
Weight: 76
Local Beach: Caves Beach
Favorite Beaches: All
Style: Windwing
Gear: Moses
, Naish, BRM Cloud and Axis

Postby Axis1050 » Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:16 am

Converted skim board perfect for kite foiling on Seabreeze.com.au in Australia
Attachments
20231007_103830.jpg

nixmatters
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2009
Style: freeride. started foiling, not there yet
Gear: mostly custom made
Brand Affiliation: None currently

Postby nixmatters » Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:41 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 am
@mati, larger than what you're after, but definitely a great deal at @750 + shipping. Demoed few times, like new condition.

Sorry, I couldn't resist not posting this!
The MIOboard is the same model/size 115x38 what Alex Soto is heavily absusing on a daily basis.

https://www.facebook.com/woosportskite/ ... J6Mw459Knl
Attachments
WOO HF WR 30.6m.jpg

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Mon Jan 08, 2024 1:32 pm

nixmatters wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:41 pm
nixmatters wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:43 am

Sorry, I couldn't resist not posting this!
The MIOboard is the same model/size 115x38 what Alex Soto is heavily absusing on a daily basis.

https://www.facebook.com/woosportskite/ ... J6Mw459Knl
It looks awesome! I checked up this board too. But unfortunately for my poor pockets, at €1250+straps+shipping it cost almost 2 times what a Nort Spoon mini or Newind 108 cost.

Return to “Hydrofoil”