bclam
Rare Poster
Gear: Core, Armstrong
Brand Affiliation: None
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Kitefoiling with Foil Drive assist

Postby bclam » Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:16 pm

Anyone have experience with Stoke Foil? Less expensive than Foil Drive. Not really an e-foil but looks good for short boosts when wing or SUP foiling.

https://www.stokefoiling.com/?v=7516fd43adaa

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm

bclam wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 4:16 pm
Anyone have experience with Stoke Foil? Less expensive than Foil Drive. Not really an e-foil but looks good for short boosts when wing or SUP foiling.

It’s similar power output to the original FD Assist, purely for assistance to either get on a wave or up on the foil when winging. Not much use for prone which is really taking off, think small boards and foils carving swell or waves using no wave assist to get going.
You can pick up one of the original assists secondhand dirt cheap, sold mine for US$900, and now the Gen 2 Foildrive has been released the Gen 1 Plus are selling quite cheap too.

Allarounder
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2017
Weight: 75
Gear: Flysurfer soul 10m

Postby Allarounder » Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:55 pm

airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm
bclam wrote:

It’s similar power output to the original FD Assist, purely for assistance to either get on a wave or up on the foil when winging. Not much use for prone which is really taking off, think small boards and foils carving swell or waves using no wave assist to get going.
You can pick up one of the original assists secondhand dirt cheap, sold mine for US$900, and now the Gen 2 Foildrive has been released the Gen 1 Plus are selling quite cheap too.
Where are you selling it ?

flying grandpa
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Siemiany,
Favorite Beaches: Stegna, Orle, Karwia
Style: hydrofoil long distance, slalom, waves
Gear: ZEEKO, Takuma, Sonic, Kestrel
Brand Affiliation: NONE

Postby flying grandpa » Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:03 pm

airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 11:31 am

Ordering 2 weeks ago may have missed the Batch 1 cut off, Batch 2 isn’t being shipped until late January 2024.
Thank you for that suggestion.
Do I want to wait so long? Without any info from them?
Not sure.

Fly safe
Tadeusz

Slappysan
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Gear: Wave Bandit Performer 4-10

Postby Slappysan » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:14 am

mati wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:53 am
I don't think it would make sense... Usually my limitation (using small fast foil/big kites) in the low end is not water starting but keep foiling once on the foil.
With multiple strokes of the kite I can get on foil but after a few seconds I start to loose momentum and have to move the kite a lot to stay on the foil.
I don't really get how this could be, for me foiling ion my 6m Peak 4 getting out of the water is the only real question, if I can get out of the water (and sometimes it takes me 4-5 loops) then I can foil. For me this is about 7-8 knots. This doesn't mean it will be fun to foil though, just that it's doable and no underwater powertrain is going to help make it better.

Now if you enjoy kitefoiling on a gigantic board where you climb up on it like a wingfoil board before you start foiling then underwater propulsion might help, but in general it's pretty awful. I have kitefoiled my 7-6 Cruzader and due to the lesser reactivity in the board it only really gets you maybe 1 extra knot and even then it's far more likely to go down once started than a normal board.

I also kitefoil normally on a 58L board that I water start and it's a bit tricky but not too bad and it rides better than my 32L board once up so it's my go to. When the wind gets really light I attempt to climb up and start it like I do wingfoiling and it's crazy hard to do in light winds, I have yet to succeed. I can get on my knees on the board and get it foiling from there though, but that's more of a last resort way to limp back to shore.

mati
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -

Postby mati » Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:03 am

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:14 am
mati wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:53 am
I don't think it would make sense... Usually my limitation (using small fast foil/big kites) in the low end is not water starting but keep foiling once on the foil.
With multiple strokes of the kite I can get on foil but after a few seconds I start to loose momentum and have to move the kite a lot to stay on the foil.
I don't really get how this could be, for me foiling ion my 6m Peak 4 getting out of the water is the only real question, if I can get out of the water (and sometimes it takes me 4-5 loops) then I can foil. For me this is about 7-8 knots. This doesn't mean it will be fun to foil though, just that it's doable and no underwater powertrain is going to help make it better.

Now if you enjoy kitefoiling on a gigantic board where you climb up on it like a wingfoil board before you start foiling then underwater propulsion might help, but in general it's pretty awful. I have kitefoiled my 7-6 Cruzader and due to the lesser reactivity in the board it only really gets you maybe 1 extra knot and even then it's far more likely to go down once started than a normal board.

I also kitefoil normally on a 58L board that I water start and it's a bit tricky but not too bad and it rides better than my 32L board once up so it's my go to. When the wind gets really light I attempt to climb up and start it like I do wingfoiling and it's crazy hard to do in light winds, I have yet to succeed. I can get on my knees on the board and get it foiling from there though, but that's more of a last resort way to limp back to shore.
I have a 120cm/18L board (i like to jump with the foil and i don't want a much smaller board for the landings), 500cm or 700cm front wing and a 92cm mast. My most used kite for foiling is a 12m North Reach.
In 6 knots i can get on the foil in deep water after 4 or 5 kite strokes, but i can't keep foiling once i lose the momentum of the last stroke.

airsail
Very Frequent Poster
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Queens Beach North, Queensland, Australia
Favorite Beaches: Queens North, I don’t travel much
Style: Foiling
Gear: Sonic 3 15mtr, Soul 10 mtr, BRM Clouds 8, 6.2, 4.8, 3.7
Lift, Naish and Levitaz foils
Carbonco and home build boards
Ozone and Duotone wings
Naish Hover 95 foilboard

Postby airsail » Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:44 pm

Allarounder wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:55 pm
airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm
bclam wrote:

Where are you selling it ?
Sold it months ago, I’m in Oz and there are heaps of Foildrive’s here.

As for waiting for shipping info on the Gen 2, I know from following the FB Foildrive group everyone is waiting and flooding them with emails. The major stevedore company in Oz got hacked and 30,000 containers got stuck a couple of weeks ago, it screwed FD with deliveries as they had components in those stuck containers.

br44
Frequent Poster
Gear: LEIs, foils

Postby br44 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:20 am

Axis1050 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:33 am
Anyone tried the Foil Drive Assist in very light wind.
It may take a bit of thinking to set up however, I can see some benefits eg, easier to get to deep water in direct on shore breezes, possibly able to use a smaller kite and Foil plus if all goes wrong easier to get back to shore start point.
Just trying to justify for multiple foiling activities.
I see no need for kite foiling. It would not make sense. However... it could be great for taxi! As you mentioned.

Those foil-assist products are very expensive for taxi-ing, and thus not worth it for me. I'm not sure if the product that I'd want exists. A simple hand-held motor with a propeller that is light enough to keep in a backpack when riding. Use it to taxi to a deep water spot for kite drift launch if the wind is directly on-shore. Then use it again if the wind dies and you're far from shore. Other than that, it would be in a backpack. Basically, extra propulsion for swimming.

Windigo1
Very Frequent Poster
Style: Foil foil.. and Old School!
Gear: Too many to list

Postby Windigo1 » Thu Nov 30, 2023 2:59 pm

If you're foiling on a pocket board that barely floats I imagine a heavy motor and battery would sink the board to the bottom. If the wind is so low that you need a motor you are asking for trouble. I think it's better to get a proper efoil at this point! I just built one that will be my solution for those too light to foil days!

bitxopalo
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2020
Weight: 65
Style: Lazy style
Gear: Gong Matata 5.0
flysurfer peak 3&5
Gong Allvator curve M
Concept'air Pulsion 12&18

Postby bitxopalo » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:37 pm

Slappysan wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:14 am

.... When the wind gets really light I attempt to climb up and start it like I do wingfoiling and it's crazy hard to do in light winds

I started to succed when I put a stopper in my bar.
With an stopper you can get your hands off the bar while the kite is pulling. So you can use your hands to stand Up . I send the kite up and then let the bar go. Once up , looping again to start foiling.

I 65kg and use a peak 4 5m and a 40 L board when is very light. Also 29 m lines help a lot

Return to “Hydrofoil”