Re: Kitefoiling with Foil Drive assist

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 01, 2023 2:58 pm

airsail wrote:
Wed Nov 29, 2023 7:44 pm
Allarounder wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:55 pm
airsail wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 7:40 pm

It’s similar power output to the original FD Assist, purely for assistance to either get on a wave or up on the foil when winging. Not much use for prone which is really taking off, think small boards and foils carving swell or waves using no wave assist to get going.
You can pick up one of the original assists secondhand dirt cheap, sold mine for US$900, and now the Gen 2 Foildrive has been released the Gen 1 Plus are selling quite cheap too.
Where are you selling it ?
Sold it months ago, I’m in Oz and there are heaps of Foildrive’s here.

As for waiting for shipping info on the Gen 2, I know from following the FB Foildrive group everyone is waiting and flooding them with emails. The major stevedore company in Oz got hacked and 30,000 containers got stuck a couple of weeks ago, it screwed FD with deliveries as they had components in those stuck containers.
What I heard was that it's the delivery cases that are a shortage.

ronnie
Very Frequent Poster

Re: Kitefoiling with Foil Drive assist

Postby ronnie » Fri Dec 01, 2023 3:09 pm

br44 wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 12:20 am
Axis1050 wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:33 am
Anyone tried the Foil Drive Assist in very light wind.
It may take a bit of thinking to set up however, I can see some benefits eg, easier to get to deep water in direct on shore breezes, possibly able to use a smaller kite and Foil plus if all goes wrong easier to get back to shore start point.
Just trying to justify for multiple foiling activities.
I see no need for kite foiling. It would not make sense. However... it could be great for taxi! As you mentioned.

Those foil-assist products are very expensive for taxi-ing, and thus not worth it for me. I'm not sure if the product that I'd want exists. A simple hand-held motor with a propeller that is light enough to keep in a backpack when riding. Use it to taxi to a deep water spot for kite drift launch if the wind is directly on-shore. Then use it again if the wind dies and you're far from shore. Other than that, it would be in a backpack. Basically, extra propulsion for swimming.
For Upwind/Downwinders in a strong enough wind, the pocket kite seems to have potential. From 2:30 in this he packs away the pocket kite. AFAIK no-one has a pocket kite yet that can get you upwind well enough. There are probably other refinements required.

I've tried pulling the bridle lines of a 2.5m kite through my hand to collapse the kite in light wind, and I reckon it would slice your hand up in strong wind. I checked if pulling the nose of the kite into a small windsock would be a better solution. The 2.5 doesn't fly well when the handles are held in one hand - so the parachute type of downwind kite in this video seems to be better for that. I've split the 2 bridles into 3 attachment points on 2 small trapeze handles to give some sheeting ability.
2.5m handles.jpg
It looks like the 30" windsock isn't a good idea. Maybe better to have a 5" diameter, 24" long tube and pull the middle of the kite into it instead of the nose of one end.
30inchwindsock.jpg

Return to “Hydrofoil”