Kiting since: 2010
Weight: 75
Favorite Beaches: Woodman Point
Style: Big air/Wakestyle/Foil
Gear: -
Brand Affiliation: None

Kitefoil boosting with Gong?

Postby mati » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:02 am

Hi there! I've recently bought an HM92 mast, pro fuse, fluid h42 stab, and fluid pro Ms wing (800cm2).
I quite regret buying the Fluid MS. My old foil is 480 cm2 (Alibaba foil from 2017), and while I wanted something a little bit bigger, I think i went too big. I find the wing too slow and front-foot-heavy. Even with the mast all the way back in my Airush Core Mini (120cm) I need to put too much weight on the front to keep it in the water. 
The tacks and foot changes are easier, of course, but I enjoy boosting with the foil and I think this wing is just too big for me. I had just one session on it, so maybe I just have to get used to it.
I've been looking in the catalog from Gong, for a front wing between 550 and 650 cm2 and a wingspan under 68 cm, but it looks like this is something hard to find. I am afraid that 70 cm+ wingspan foils would be too wide for kitefoil boosting.

What do you guys ride?

mati
Frequent Poster

Re: Kitefoil boosting with Gong?

Postby mati » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:16 am

So far I've found in stock
-old Fluid pro S (650 cm2/61cm)
-old Fluid ST (700 cm2/65 cm)
All the new stuff has 70+ wingspan, much more winging oriented I think..

blu
Medium Poster
Local Beach: Great Lakes
Favorite Beaches: Cayo Coco
Gear: Flysurfer Lift Sabfoil Gong

Postby blu » Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:49 am

Fluid is excellent with h38 stab
I usually need more than one session to get used to the new wing.
Try adjusting your straps to get the best balance.

Jah_dxb
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2012
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Cooden Beach - UK
Pevensey Bay - UK
Favorite Beaches: Sunset Beach - DXB
Valdevaqueros - ESP
Style: Big Air / Hydrofoil
Gear: Ozone / Cabrinha

Postby Jah_dxb » Mon Sep 04, 2023 11:34 am

I'd definitely say keep at it for a few more sessions and you might find it gets more comfortable. I've been rocking a Veloce LH at 900cm2 paired with a Veloce LH stab, pro fuse and 75cm alu mast. I use it for winging and downwinding but also love ripping around in lightwinds with my kite too. Whilst I think anything over 600cm2 isn't ideal for kitefoiling, it certainly can be done with some adjustment.

I'd suggest a Ypra-S in Small - not that I have personal experience with this wing but I know that Gong recommend it for kitefoiling.

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:17 pm

The Fluid 42 is a big stab. Its job is to prevent large front wings from pitching downwards at speed.
Recommended, even for the Fluid Ls, is the Fluid 38.

The larger the stab the more you will have front foot pressure at speed.

If you don't mind a change in foil attitude with speed, the Veloce-h36 will get you more speed, and much less front foot pressure. The transition is ackward (i.e. you can crash if distracted), but after about 13/14 knots, my Fluid L-s overpowers the little veloce and begins being very neutral. I need to be alert and switch my balance: nothing grave, just something to remember.
By the way, the Fluids are also much more locked in: I own the Fluid-h38, and can tell you it is much harder to change pitch than it is with the tiny veloce, and it is also harder to do snappy turns. The Fluid is a "guided" stab, which will make crazy turns with lots of drive, but it will not feel "loose". The 42 size is probably even more locked in, and certainly very little suited to such a small front wing, at least IMHO.

The "official" stab for boosting and tricks is the new Freestyle-h, by the way.
I got the 39... right before they announced the 35 and 37.
Not received it yet though.

In your shoes, I'd simply go Freestyle 37, or even 35 for a radical ride with snappy turns.
Or Veloce-h36 for more speed.

P.S.
they have the Ypra-S in XXS size (60cm width, .8cm thick), or the Veloce-H XS (70cm, .9cm thick) for those craving real speed while remaining manouverable.
I ride the Ypra-S M size, and can tell you, it is a lot faster than my Fluid, although a lot more technical, and much more stable at speed.
The XS Ypra-S should be a bit less technical (70cm, 620sqcm, 1cm thick).
With the Fluid M-S, you got yourself a (nicely discounted) front made for doing very snappy manouvers rather than pure speed (even though it is still listed as 1.2cm thick: can you confirm?). If that is the objective, the Fluid-H S is also available, again at .9cm thick and 72sqcm.

mati wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:02 am
Hi there! I've recently bought an HM92 mast, pro fuse, fluid h42 stab, and fluid pro Ms wing (800cm2).
I quite regret buying the Fluid MS. My old foil is 480 cm2 (Alibaba foil from 2017), and while I wanted something a little bit bigger, I think i went too big. I find the wing too slow and front-foot-heavy. Even with the mast all the way back in my Airush Core Mini (120cm) I need to put too much weight on the front to keep it in the water. 
The tacks and foot changes are easier, of course, but I enjoy boosting with the foil and I think this wing is just too big for me. I had just one session on it, so maybe I just have to get used to it.
I've been looking in the catalog from Gong, for a front wing between 550 and 650 cm2 and a wingspan under 68 cm, but it looks like this is something hard to find. I am afraid that 70 cm+ wingspan foils would be too wide for kitefoil boosting.

What do you guys ride?

mati
Frequent Poster

Postby mati » Mon Sep 04, 2023 1:45 pm

azoele wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 12:17 pm
The Fluid 42 is a big stab. Its job is to prevent large front wings from pitching downwards at speed.
Recommended, even for the Fluid Ls, is the Fluid 38.

The larger the stab the more you will have front foot pressure at speed.

If you don't mind a change in foil attitude with speed, the Veloce-h36 will get you more speed, and much less front foot pressure. The transition is ackward (i.e. you can crash if distracted), but after about 13/14 knots, my Fluid L-s overpowers the little veloce and begins being very neutral. I need to be alert and switch my balance: nothing grave, just something to remember.
By the way, the Fluids are also much more locked in: I own the Fluid-h38, and can tell you it is much harder to change pitch than it is with the tiny veloce, and it is also harder to do snappy turns. The Fluid is a "guided" stab, which will make crazy turns with lots of drive, but it will not feel "loose". The 42 size is probably even more locked in, and certainly very little suited to such a small front wing, at least IMHO.

The "official" stab for boosting and tricks is the new Freestyle-h, by the way.
I got the 39... right before they announced the 35 and 37.
Not received it yet though.

In your shoes, I'd simply go Freestyle 37, or even 35 for a radical ride with snappy turns.
Or Veloce-h36 for more speed.

P.S.
they have the Ypra-S in XXS size (60cm width, .8cm thick), or the Veloce-H XS (70cm, .9cm thick) for those craving real speed while remaining manouverable.
I ride the Ypra-S M size, and can tell you, it is a lot faster than my Fluid, although a lot more technical, and much more stable at speed.
The XS Ypra-S should be a bit less technical (70cm, 620sqcm, 1cm thick).
With the Fluid M-S, you got yourself a (nicely discounted) front made for doing very snappy manouvers rather than pure speed (even though it is still listed as 1.2cm thick: can you confirm?). If that is the objective, the Fluid-H S is also available, again at .9cm thick and 72sqcm.

mati wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 10:02 am

What do you guys ride?
Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for! How do you find the 70 cm wingspan for kiting? is it not too much? Can you still hold good upwind angles or do you have to pay attention to it?

azoele
Frequent Poster
Gear: Airush DNA 14

Postby azoele » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:44 pm

Thanks!! Exactly what I was looking for! How do you find the 70 cm wingspan for kiting? is it not too much? Can you still hold good upwind angles or do you have to pay attention to it?
I do not possess 70cm fronts.
The Fluid L-s is 10cm larger than your M-s (76cm).

The Ypra-s is M size (they make Ypra, and Ypra-s, which curiously enough is very much loved by wingers because it can surf).
It is 80cm.
At my weight I find it very manouverable at lower speeds, but it gets more difficult at higher speed: turns are wider.
Too difficult for me at my weight (110Kg), or better: it is fun, it accelerates like crazy (even in toeside it just wants to accelerate; with my other wings I always suffered in toeside speed-wise), it glides much more than the Fluid, but it stalls like a brick, and is very physical.
I used sometimes a Fluid M (not M-s) and it's a piece of cake compared to the Ypra...

The smart thing to do is get in touch with GONG, and detail your needs and your feelings about what you purchased.
They are nice and informative :thumb:

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:02 am

As said, YpraS is the way to go for you.

A lot less drag and lift than your current foilwing, and small.

8) Peter
These users thanked the author Peter_Frank for the post:
mati (Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

HendrikVdP
Medium Poster
Local Beach: cadzand-bad Netherlands
Favorite Beaches: kitebeach el gouna Egypt
Style: freestyle
Gear: north vegas '10 7m
north vegas '08 9&12m²
undergound flx 132
Has thanked: 0

Postby HendrikVdP » Tue Sep 05, 2023 7:17 am

Fluid 42 stab is massive, I use it myself for winging and for kiting it does feel huge.

Try to take the smallest freestyle stab, it will be less lifting and thus give you less front foot pressure.
And the shorter fuse length will give you a shorter upward turning radius on your pop and thus a cleaner exit out of the water.

As to front wings, for boosting your ride with a lot of power.
Go for something thin like a veloce or Ypra S.
I personally ride a older thicker gong front wing as well, 70cm wide for light wind jumping and wave riding mix in a shallow spot, and often ride it with a 65cm mast to not hit the reef.
And I never felt like it was too wide and that was limiting me.
These users thanked the author HendrikVdP for the post:
mati (Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:03 am)
Rating: 3.03%

1234567Simon
Very Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2019
Local Beach: Netherland‘s beaches,
Favorite Beaches: Ijmuiden on NW
Gear: Wave Board, Wave Kites, foiling. But Plan to get Back to Twin Tip boosting

Postby 1234567Simon » Tue Sep 05, 2023 8:40 am

I have the MS and like IT a Lot.....

I also Have the Fluid ST... much smaller ... Higher stalling Speed... almost never use it.

Then Fluid MT is a large big huge Wing for me ( that time almost 80kg.) 76 cm super wide, super stable, and Boy... once you are in the Foil, the Wind can drop to Zero, and the Foil keeps going .... one size smaller Kite with that Thing... I Always feel Like in the duracel Advertising.

If you want fast for boosting Ypra SS or XSS (did Not Check the naming) but Gong Guys say they are hard to Ride.

Gong is preparing the new Kite Line, the new Kite Foil Boards are ready, also the new super small are ready.. I would Bet, the new Kite Foil frontwings (Curve XS, and xxs, and Fluid XS, are about to be online ....

I am happy with my Setup. But If I wanted smaller. Ypra SS

Return to “Hydrofoil”