Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone
Brand Affiliation: None

Re: UFO v2 6m or 7m

Postby FunOnTheWater » Fri Feb 02, 2024 2:22 pm

Myself foil is complemetairy tool for fun under <20knots. In Winds higher 20knots still like my waveboard and ride downwinders.

If twintips are just keeping up cruizing with 12m kites, you have loads of fun on foil perfectly with 6m.

Indeed you can go bigger kite and smaller kites, but 6m for me i if have to pick on size, allround for ideal foil condition.

Robstar
Rare Poster
Kiting since: 2001
Weight: 80kg
Local Beach: Hythe
Favorite Beaches: Sliver sands
Style: Foiling
Gear: Moses

Postby Robstar » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:33 pm

Bought the 7m in the end . Hope I don’t end up getting a 6m as well 🤔 not used it yet, fair weather rider.

Peter_Frank
Very Frequent Poster

Postby Peter_Frank » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:44 pm

Onda wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:45 pm
I have purchased a 3 m² V2 to extend the high-end range beyond my 4 m² V2.
Same experience with me: I use the 4 m² most often, unbelievable wind range particularly in the low end. But I found myself slightly overpowered with the 4 m² in 20+ kts of wind quite regularly. I really hope the 3 m² works nicely from 20 kts - couldn´t test it yet.
I use my 7 m² Ufo maybe twice per season - should sell it maybe. It is much less fun than the 5 m² (not to mention the 4 m²), too slow.

So you have a lot of wind?

Or do something else when below 11 knots?

Since you don't really use a 7 m2.

8) Peter

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:52 pm

Onda wrote:
I have purchased a 3 m² V2 to extend the high-end range beyond my 4 m² V2.
Same experience with me: I use the 4 m² most often, unbelievable wind range particularly in the low end. But I found myself slightly overpowered with the 4 m² in 20+ kts of wind quite regularly. I really hope the 3 m² works nicely from 20 kts - couldn´t test it yet.
I use my 7 m² Ufo maybe twice per season - should sell it maybe. It is much less fun than the 5 m² (not to mention the 4 m²), too slow.
Yes, I think the 3m will work in that wind. I’ve had it out in less but you really have to work it.

If there are waves, I’ll be riding a surfboard in that wind.

Onda
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2008
Local Beach: Baltic Sea / North Sea (Germany)
Favorite Beaches: Wijk aan Zee (NL)
Ouddorp (NL)
Norre Vorupor (DK)
Heiligenhafen (DE)
Style: strictly unstrapped, mainly foiling
Gear: Slingshot / Infexion / Alpine / F-One / CORE / Firewire / Duotone

Postby Onda » Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:41 pm

I was doing the same, waveboard in 20+ kts.
But since I got better and better on the foil in the waves, I hardly ride my waveboard any more. Foiling waves is so amazing! Particularly when you have mushy waves 95 % of the time like at the Baltic Sea.
On the SK8 you can surf even the smalles waves, waist-high waves are super exciting already. You are getting so super fast on the SK8, it is absolutely crazy. And it has almost no drag, you can foil with super small kite sizes.

If you should think about buying a SK8: Take the 650 cm² with a 85 cm mast. And take the new longer fuse/stab combi "C160 XS", not the super short "C160 XXXS".

Nak
Frequent Poster
Kiting since: 2004
Weight: 182
Local Beach: Stevenson, WA; Rooster Rock, OR; Sauvie Island, OR; Kailua HI sort of...; Baja, MX; Ackerman Island, OR (I'm the only local kiter here...)
Favorite Beaches: Stevenson, WA; Kailua, HI; Baja; Isla de Coche; Rhodes, GR.
Style: Foil
Gear: Lift, Slingshot, Naish, Kanaha Shapes, Moses
Brand Affiliation: Lift

Postby Nak » Sat Feb 03, 2024 12:09 am

Onda wrote:
I really hope the 3 m² works nicely from 20 kts - couldn´t test it yet.
You and I have different wind ranges for using the 4m, but I can say that the 3m and the 4m have quite a bit of overlap. I'm happy on my 4m from 18 - 19 knots up to 30 knots, and I'm happy on my 3m from 22-23 knots on up to close to 40.
Onda wrote:
Agreed. I had the 7m, and switched to the 6m. The 6m is certainly slower than the 4 or the 5, but it's way better than the 7m. The 6m stretches nicely to the 8m or the 9m.

purdyd
Very Frequent Poster

Postby purdyd » Sat Feb 03, 2024 4:16 pm

Onda wrote:
Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:41 pm
I was doing the same, waveboard in 20+ kts.
But since I got better and better on the foil in the waves, I hardly ride my waveboard any more. Foiling waves is so amazing! Particularly when you have mushy waves 95 % of the time like at the Baltic Sea.
On the SK8 you can surf even the smalles waves, waist-high waves are super exciting already. You are getting so super fast on the SK8, it is absolutely crazy. And it has almost no drag, you can foil with super small kite sizes.

If you should think about buying a SK8: Take the 650 cm² with a 85 cm mast. And take the new longer fuse/stab combi "C160 XS", not the super short "C160 XXXS".
On the North American pacific coast we get real waves and sideshore winds and have some good breaks.

I enjoy riding those waves more with a surf board. You don’t get the same amount of connection to the wave with a foil.

A waist high long period southern hemisphere swell can have a lot of power to it when it breaks.

But like I said, if there is no waves , even if windy, I will grab the foil. But even then if it just flat, I might just work on my surfboard tacks.

The sk8 looks like an interesting design. Designed primarily for surfing. I think a lot of the more interesting foil design is being driven by surfing and winging these days.

FunOnTheWater
Medium Poster
Kiting since: 2000
Weight: 74
Style: Freeride Foil, Wave, Twintip.
Gear: Gong, reedin, sabfoil, blade, Duotone

Postby FunOnTheWater » Sat Feb 03, 2024 9:14 pm

Wave surf is more of a workout for me, and my body feel nice and glowing after a long downwinder session. On freeride kite foil it is a bit of lazy/relaxed, I have no muscle pains etc, in winter sometimes I get even cold on foil....
But yes I like also to foil also in strong winds and also go out in direct onshore wind, wich is sometimes struggle in wave.... If just kiting at a spot, I mostly foil as the upwind and downwind angles are so addicive, you can run so many lines, and can go anywhere so easy....

(I have no UFO myself, but 6m Gong with custom briddle (when stock I do notlike so much,I want depower and wide wind range) , with 4x pully, today i use it in 21knot. it can start from about 13knots with a loop, till 20 knots is perfectly ok, till 25knots it is overpowered you need actually smaller, but can still manage. This thing has almost 100% depower, wide wind range quite technical ON/OFF, it can pivot loop, fast with very little pull. Whilst UFO is incredably stable/drift better thang GONG,due toits lowerAR, it has bit more constant pull/lift/grunt, but very best drift of tube kite ever found)

Return to “Hydrofoil”